Update on Origin Broadband's plans following closure of DRL

I've now moved and am connected with SKY Fibre, compared to DR Fibre there isn't really a difference, Usenet speeds are the same, no throttling etc. and cheaper.

I've now moved and am connected with SKY Fibre, compared to DR Fibre there isn't really a difference, Usenet speeds are the same, no throttling etc. and cheaper.

I really wish I could get Sky Fibre at my address. Holding out hope that the Attercliffe exchange gets upgraded soon :(

What speed exactly, because it does depend on how good your line was to begin with.

For example my line is really short and high quality so I used to be synced at 100Mbit on Digital Region but BT (Sky, TalkTalk ,etc) only allow 79Mbit.

For some reason I can't get above 66Mbit real-world speed, which is about 10Mbit short of what I had expected to achieve.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 17:27 ----------

so after all this time, are there any ex origin customers who still have the zyxel sat gathering dust.

i am looking for a spare one to play about with

They were SUPPOSED to return them back to Origin, so technically if they still have them you are dealing with stolen goods.

They were SUPPOSED to return them back to Origin, so technically if they still have them you are dealing with stolen goods.

Origin never asked for any equipment back from me, and we're nearly 6 months down the line now. I've held on to it but I'm giving it another month and it's going in the bin (maybe on eBay, but I doubt it fetches much). Or I might start to invoice Origin for storage costs :P

Absolutely fuming. Origin have tried to take £25 out of my bank today. This is after they cut my service in August without informing me, then 4 weeks later stuck me on with constant speeds of 0.1mbps. I emailed the MD and customer service formally cancelling my contract due to them breaching their contract. I called my bank and cancelled any future payments to Origin (seeing as they have been less than honourable up to this point). Now 4 months later they are trying to take money from my account?! I called the bank and they apologised about the mistake saying that what I asked to be done 4 months ago hadn't actually been done grrr! They then reversed the payment and it has gone back into my account.

But why are Origin randomly trying to take money out of my bank when they haven't provided me with a service for months???

Maybe things are getting really desperate at Origin and they are trying this unscrupulous tactic in the hope that some people might not notice.

Or it's just a computer glitch.

I'm going with the first one!

What speed exactly, because it does depend on how good your line was to begin with.

For example my line is really short and high quality so I used to be synced at 100Mbit on Digital Region but BT (Sky, TalkTalk ,etc) only allow 79Mbit.

For some reason I can't get above 66Mbit real-world speed, which is about 10Mbit short of what I had expected to achieve.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 17:27 ----------

I'm synced at 39998 and download at 4.5 megabytes a second. Line att 13.4 noise 18.1. And up synced 9995 0.0 line att and 9.9 noise.

Is this good?

---------- Post added 17-01-2015 at 08:17 ----------

Maybe things are getting really desperate at Origin and they are trying this unscrupulous tactic in the hope that some people might not notice.

Or it's just a computer glitch.

I noticed the Facebook marketing campaign is in full swing, any comments they don't like still disappear.

Regarding the taken payments, they have to pay for all these awards somehow ;)

I think you're probably right!

@BonJon - those download speeds are about right for that connection

if you with bt you can go to the speedtest site and it will tell you exactly what you're synced at or if you have a HH5 this will also tell you, this is if you don't have a modded HG612

Origin are STILL taking money from my bank account when I haven't received service from them in almosr a YEAR! How is this legal?? I have cancelled the direct debit with my bank so they are using my bank details to take the money they have done this 3 times since I cancelled my DD! What can I do?? I've called my bank twice over it and been assured so DDs or standing orders remain yet they are still taking money from me. Please can somebody advise as I'm at my wits end with these thieves!

I have been with Orange home broadband for almost a year, since Origin cut my 30mb broadband off with no notice and after a month of no service reconnected me at a speed of 0.025 for weeks. After this farce I informed them I was leaving and ceasing service and I switched to Orange.

Edited by Hawa

Hawa - you need to go into your bank and sort this out face to face with someone!! If you've cancelled your DD then there is no way Origin should be able to take money from you.

As I posted earlier in this thread I guess Origin are still trying this trick and hoping no one notices!!

Keep us updated on how you get on.