Update on Origin Broadband's plans following closure of DRL

I don't understand what's happening. I've skimmed the thread but don't get it.

My broadband stopped working yesterday and Origin will not answer the phone. Was on hold for 10 min yesterday and another 10 min today.

Have they shut down? Do I have to switch providers?

My broadband stopped working yesterday and Origin will not answer the phone. Was on hold for 10 min yesterday and another 10 min today.

The Digital Region Network was shut down on the 14th of August. Origin had a years notice of this but it seems that they didn't manage to tell all their customers about this (very very bad customer care). Now they are not answering the phones because I suspect they have no real answer for customers as to how to get people back on line. My advice is to change providers as soon as you can because I doubt Origin will be here in the next few months due to how many customers they have let down.

Read these threads for more info:

http://originbroadbandforum.com/forum-39.html

http://drlforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

That really sucks. We can't get fibre in our area so the fastest speeds we can get with any other ISP is 3 meg :(

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 14:14 ----------

And 3 weeks for install so that's 3 weeks with no service whatsoever. If they had warned me I could have arranged a switchover sooner and not had this issue.

Origin have done a moonlight flit :hihi:

What a shoddy way to treat your customers.

To be fair, 10 minutes is not long enough to declare they aren't answering the phone.

At best they probably have 6 people manning the phones and considering thousands of customers have been kicked offline, that is going to mean a long LONG wait on hold.

I agree they could have done more to avoid this situation though.

ISP: Origin Broadband Router: Intel DN2800MT (OpenWRT) Avg Speed: 0Mbit Exchange: Intake

at the risk of sounding a bit AOL...

"Avg Speed: 0Mbit"

..me, too!..

K.

To be fair, 10 minutes is not long enough to declare they aren't answering the phone.

At best they probably have 6 people manning the phones and considering thousands of customers have been kicked offline, that is going to mean a long LONG wait on hold.

This sounds like you're sticking up for Origin?

Some people have been hanging on the phone for over 80 minutes in the past 2 days following the shutdown.

Be warned, it seems any customer posting negative feedback on their FB page and asking questions are having their posts deleted and also being banned by Origin. It seems they can't answer the phones to customers or put up any further announcements, but are quick to be underhanded in the whole situation.

For customers staying with Origin, I wish you all the luck with a provider that doesn't seem to want to provide the utmost service to their customer base.

My sister called them twice on Thursday (2 40 min calls with no one picking up) and was on two hours yesterday and no one picked up. She just sat with the phone on speaker while doing the cleaning. Nothing.

She's not the only one.

This sounds like you're sticking up for Origin?

Some people have been hanging on the phone for over 80 minutes in the past 2 days following the shutdown.

Merely pointing out that 10 minutes is hardly conclusive proof they aren't answering the phone. Whenever any ISP has a large failure the phone lines get completely clogged up.

Like I said, it seems likely that hundreds or even thousands of people had their broadband unexpectedly cut-off, so being stuck on hold for hours is hardly a surprise - they are grossly under staffed to deal with the number of brassed off customers who will be trying to call them.

There is plenty to be annoyed with Origin about, but I don't think its fair to accuse them of not answering the phone without definitive proof they are sat in the office ignoring the ringing telephones.

I have heard a few people say that Origin may have gone bust!! I'm sure this is hearsay, but I would not be surprised if by this time next year they have, no way would I risk having down time again!!