Update on Origin Broadband's plans following closure of DRL

Sorry if a slight thread hijack but will be migrating across to the Origin DR service for a couple of months and then on the ADSL offering...

Have just been speaking to ASK4 for the MAC etc and just on the off chance asked if they knew of anything planned for the Attercliffe exchange - according to them it should fibre enabled Jan 2015 but i cant find anything online, is this something Origin could confirm(?) as not looking forward to 1.5Mb ADSL lol.

When it comes to enabling a cabinet, its done when its done, the dates are purely speculative. So I really wouldn't bother asking as even if they HAVE a date it doesn't guarantee anything.

The best bet is to just keep an eye on the line checker and give Origin a call to upgrade you once it confirms your line is capable.

Have just been speaking to ASK4 for the MAC etc and just on the off chance asked if they knew of anything planned for the Attercliffe exchange - according to them it should fibre enabled Jan 2015 but i cant find anything online,

That's good news if true. I get 4meg now with Sky, but I want 80 meg dammit!

When it comes to enabling a cabinet, its done when its done, the dates are purely speculative. So I really wouldn't bother asking as even if they HAVE a date it doesn't guarantee anything.

The best bet is to just keep an eye on the line checker and give Origin a call to upgrade you once it confirms your line is capable.

Agreed re dates not being set in stone etc. was just surprised to hear any date on that exchange as everything I've come across suggests its not even been considered for FTTC never mind anything further...

Sounds like Origin still think there is no chance, based on people who called about Attercliffe on drlforum.co.uk.

It gets worse though, Origin are telling people they will only offer standard ADSL (up 8Mbit) not ADSL2+, if you cannot get fibre. In my past experience that is a loss of at least 1Mbit off a fairly long line and drastically reduced upload speed.

If that is correct they aren't going to last very long as even TalkTalk is a better option and cheaper for what you get.

Sounds like Origin still think there is no chance, based on people who called about Attercliffe on drlforum.co.uk.

It gets worse though, Origin are telling people they will only offer standard ADSL (up 8Mbit) not ADSL2+, if you cannot get fibre. In my past experience that is a loss of at least 1Mbit off a fairly long line and drastically reduced upload speed.

If that is correct they aren't going to last very long as even TalkTalk is a better option and cheaper for what you get.

The news just keeps getting better... If that is the case then dropping 1Mb would take me more or less back to dial up lol - before moving onto DR our ADSL connection via BT and then Sky was around 1.5Mb :-( Was chatting to our landline supplier yesterday and given our distance from the exchange its something of a miracle for it to be that "fast".

It depends if Sky had you on ADSL or ADSL2+, they usually put people on long lines on normal ADSL which sucks as I have a fairly long line myself and when I were on Be I would get at least 1Mbit more on ADSL2+ than plain ADSL.

I know that because I toggled the settings on the router to force only connecting on ADSL because various ISPs like Sky were telling people ADSL2+ is no benefit on long lines and I was sure they were wrong.

[uPDATE]

New Origin site is live and it does appear to be ADSL2+ after all.

Edited by AlexAtkin

That's good news if true. I get 4meg now with Sky, but I want 80 meg dammit!

I'm on the Attercliffe exchange and with Sky and I get 18mb but would love fibre-broadband though. However I can't see it happening anytime soon because many of the business premises nearby are on money making (for BT) leased lines!

I'm on the Attercliffe exchange and with Sky and I get 18mb but would love fibre-broadband though. However I can't see it happening anytime soon because many of the business premises nearby are on money making (for BT) leased lines!

Thats sadly my thinking too... they would probs lose as much if not more from the leased lines than they would make back from residential / business fibre customers so never really going to be top of their list to upgrade :-(

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Origin have gone quiet extremely quiet both on this forum and the drlforum.

Also when any customer is asking what is happening and why they have not been contacted about the closure and been provided with an update, their comments have been removed from their facebook page.....

Hi,

We're currently calling each customer individually to deal with the DRL closure as quickly as possible.

Any customer who has not yet had their call will be receiving it very soon.

Pete

Edited by Origin_Pete

I'm definitely getting a little concerned that I haven't been contacted yet. If I didn't read here and facebook etc I wouldn't have a clue what was going on.