The release of body fat

You want to lose some weight and decide to check out all the information on how to do it. You come across several books and sites contradicting one another.

'' CARBS ARE BAD'' ''CUT THE FAT'' ''GO PALEO'' ''CARBS ARE ACUTALLY BETTER THAN WE THOUGHT'' '' EAT LESS MOVE MORE'' ''IT'S ALL ABOUT CALORIES''

All this information and none of it has actually worked :confused:

Of course cutting any nutrient will low calories and help you lose weight for a short period or for a long time on a diet that could cause damaged to ones health.

So, here are some other things to consider...

Weight gain comes from consuming more calories than you burn; weight loss can only happen when you consume fewer calories than you burn. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

You will be surprised to find out how idiotic that concept is. Unfortunately, it is the foundation for some truly awful advice about dieting. If any doctor, nutritionist, fitness advisor, or other professional who should know better tells you to eat according to a calories in/calories out diet, run as fast as you can the other way. It won’t work. It has never worked. It will never work. Reduced calorie dieting is a plague to avoid.

People do not get fat because they are lazy or slothful.

If you have somehow become convinced that you are overweight because you are lazy or slothful, think again. This myth just makes people feel bad about themselves. If that includes you, stop it. Many causes lead to weight gain, most of which you can control if you know how. The ‘sloth hypothesis’, or whatever this nonsense is called, is stupendously incorrect.

In my time of testing various exercise, diets and gimmicks I can only come up with things I believe will work in shifting body fat.

Low calorie doesn't really work. It slows things right down and eventually catches up with us, and in an attempt to lose weight again, the body shuts off fat burning.

Exercise till you die. Yes both Heavy exercise and low intensity work. However on this one you'll need to find out which exercise works for you.

I can spend 1 hour working out and have little results, however doing the shorter sessions work best for me. This doesn't mean you should all do ''HIGH INTENSITY'' I know guys who burn more fat working longer and slower because they're different at dealing with food intakes than I am. My body obviously doesn't deal with carbohydrates at lower intensity than it does higher. So I must work harder. Yet again I use the word 'HOWEVER' because even when I work out hard it often has the opposite effect. Why? 'STRESS' I actually gain body fat a few years ago by stressing my body too hard on faster sessions, plus injuries and low self esteem that had kicked in.

Your workouts should be tested for a week to see which you respond best to. No one body is the same as the other. Lowering calories isn't going to help and neither is worrying about food and exercise.

Remember that weight training has it's place in this. On faster sessions you may want to try heavier sets and on long sessions go lower. You need to keep your muscle mass while losing weights and slightly reducing calories.

Quality of food is important. You can eat a great amount of food the body recognises compared to those it will find harder to break down.

The good news is those super carb/fat days are actually good! By adding in these foods, it will shock the body in to working harder and will also help the dieter keep on track long term. Who wants a life where you can't eat those foods you fancy :suspect:

I'm not going to go any further in to Leptin, insulin and another other things you may need to know. I've kept this short and sweet in an effective way.

The moral of the story is. There isn't one diet and exercise that works. It's about seeing how you react to certain foods and exercise. Keep a log and try it out.

Calories

Perhaps you could explain how someone can gain weight without consuming excess energy, with reference to the laws of thermodynamics.

Lack of Activity

This is related to calories really isn't it. Explain how gaining weight is not a function of doing too little compared to the energy you consume (with reference to the calories answer and thermodynamics).

You need to keep your muscle mass while losing weights and slightly reducing calories.

Make up your mind!

If you're trying to say that most "diets" are probably not going to work, then I'm in total agreement with you. A diet isn't something you do for 2 months and then stop. Your diet is what you eat, forever. If your diet is high in cake and your life is low in physical activity then you will get fat and the only way to change that is to change one or both of those factors, permanently.

I don't agree regarding lack of activity, you've said yourself that exercise of some kind is needed. If you're lazy and refuse to put in some effort, then that's going to make weight loss very difficult.

Calories

Perhaps you could explain how someone can gain weight without consuming excess energy, with reference to the laws of thermodynamics.

Lack of Activity

This is related to calories really isn't it. Explain how gaining weight is not a function of doing too little compared to the energy you consume (with reference to the calories answer and thermodynamics).

Make up your mind!

If you're trying to say that most "diets" are probably not going to work, then I'm in total agreement with you. A diet isn't something you do for 2 months and then stop. Your diet is what you eat, forever. If your diet is high in cake and your life is low in physical activity then you will get fat and the only way to change that is to change one or both of those factors, permanently.

I don't agree regarding lack of activity, you've said yourself that exercise of some kind is needed. If you're lazy and refuse to put in some effort, then that's going to make weight loss very difficult.

In my experience calories in excess from high fat/sugar meals, as in vast amounts of chocolate gained me some weight. On a diet that is rich in fish, veggies, fruits and starchy slow release carbs I found it hard to gain weight. This however is because it's harder to over consume veggies as it would be half a packet of digestive biscuits.

Exercise is only going to make about 20% of weight loss. You can't burn 500 calories and then eat 500 calories of macdonalds burger/fries. A calorie is not always a calorie. If you exercise off 410 calories and eat 200g of 410 calorie wild salmon, that would be different. The body will use these calories as they are useful.

So if you are going by calories VS calories you will see that burning 500 calories isn't go to do much for the dieter if they eat 500 calories of macdonalds. Even in a 500/500 balance they will still gain weight from the wrong sort of calories, which is why I don't believe in calorie counting.

I can over consume on eggs, lean beef, veggies, fish, turkey and not gain anything. If I do this on a diet of Fried chips, fried noodles, KFC I will gain weight. However I don't gain vast amounts, but my body fat slightly goes up on fast food diets.

Restricting calories and muscle loss are not good. The less muscle you have from calorie restriction the easier the weight gain. If you was to restrict calories then I'd suggest keeping resistance training high and protein foods to. A case study shows that a high protein diet and resistance training on low calorie will help.

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 14:30 ----------

Here's some evidence from the ''Calorie counters''

Myth #1: What you eat is more important than how much you eat.

You could get ripped on skittles and coke (the soda).

That’s an extreme example, and you probably wouldn’t enjoy that diet. However, in terms of just weight loss, it doesn’t matter what you eat as long as you’re in a caloric deficit. You’ll lose weight.

There’s no evidence that “junk food” is more fattening than “healthy food” if they have the same number of calories.5

Yet people have dropped calories over the years and are more obese.

A no calorie counter

''I have lost 8 lbs in two months, and I have eaten until I was satiated. I was NEVER hungry between meals! ''

Do calorie counters keep a record of every breath they take? how would calorie counters manage before we started counting them? People were slimmer before all this calorie counting. I've researched lots of science in to food and exercise and I can't see a real case for Calorie counting.

People will tell you that going slow and longer burns fat, and is the best way. Then there are those who say it's useless.

There isn't one size fits all in losing body fat. I am almost always in a deficit after looking at my intake, and my body fat hasn't budged. I did look back at an old food diary and counted those calories. I found that I was shifting body fat by over consuming. My exercise was even less too. My breakfast had gone from 450 down to a pathetic 150. Lunch was below 300 and dinner was the highest at 400. My old diet was much more successful. Why? I was eating more calories.

Edited by Tipex

Tipex, I don't know how accurate were your experiments but you have surely done something wrong somewhere. And please if you could add some sources to your "facts" that would be great.

Fact 1: calorie excess and weight gain

Excess calorie intake always results in weight gain based on the assumption that your digestive system is working properly. The 500kcal excess from broccoli or chips that you are going to eat will end somewhere in your body which will result in weight gain, no matter what they are and from.

In my experience calories in excess from high fat/sugar meals, as in vast amounts of chocolate gained me some weight. On a diet that is rich in fish, veggies, fruits and starchy slow release carbs I found it hard to gain weight. This however is because it's harder to over consume veggies as it would be half a packet of digestive biscuits.

Of course, as you explain it. It is more difficult to eat the same amount of calorie from veggies than from processed food. So I would bet that the problem in your experience is that you didn't actually eat the same amount of calorie in both meals. I am sorry, it's not today that you are going to beat the laws of physics.

Plus, you say:

However, in terms of just weight loss, it doesn’t matter what you eat as long as you’re in a caloric deficit. You’ll lose weight.
. So you will have to explain us how you end up saying the opposite if you want to gain weight.

Myth 1: What you eat is more important than how much you eat.

it's not a myth. Ok you can get ripped eating skittles but it's not going to last and you will certainly die much sooner as well. You will miss all the good nutrients that you can find in veggies, fruits, meat, fish, etc. and your metabolism will just be destroyed.

On the other hand, if you choose what you eat carefully, you will have hard time overeating, your metabolism will be more efficient, you will store less fat and build more muscles. So yes what you eat is much much more important than how much you eat.

You also contradict yourself on that one as you wrote:

Quality of food is important.

Fact 2: People do not get fat because they are lazy or slothful.

This one is a no brainer. I don't even know how you can write something like that. If you eat and stay on your couch all day long, you will loose muscle and get fat.

What's funny is that you are writing a whole paragraph about your workouts just after that...

In conclusion, just read again what you wrote. Just try to notice that you are writing everything and the opposite in one paragraph. I hope you will learn few things with our comments and reconsider preaching ineptness like that...I will be happy to provide you with some stuff to read based on research if you are interested.

Tipex, I don't know how accurate were your experiments but you have surely done something wrong somewhere. And please if you could add some sources to your "facts" that would be great.

Fact 1: calorie excess and weight gain

Excess calorie intake always results in weight gain based on the assumption that your digestive system is working properly. The 500kcal excess from broccoli or chips that you are going to eat will end somewhere in your body which will result in weight gain, no matter what they are and from.

Of course, as you explain it. It is more difficult to eat the same amount of calorie from veggies than from processed food. So I would bet that the problem in your experience is that you didn't actually eat the same amount of calorie in both meals. I am sorry, it's not today that you are going to beat the laws of physics.

Plus, you say: . So you will have to explain us how you end up saying the opposite if you want to gain weight.

Myth 1: What you eat is more important than how much you eat.

it's not a myth. Ok you can get ripped eating skittles but it's not going to last and you will certainly die much sooner as well. You will miss all the good nutrients that you can find in veggies, fruits, meat, fish, etc. and your metabolism will just be destroyed.

On the other hand, if you choose what you eat carefully, you will have hard time overeating, your metabolism will be more efficient, you will store less fat and build more muscles. So yes what you eat is much much more important than how much you eat.

You also contradict yourself on that one as you wrote:

Fact 2: People do not get fat because they are lazy or slothful.

This one is a no brainer. I don't even know how you can write something like that. If you eat and stay on your couch all day long, you will loose muscle and get fat.

What's funny is that you are writing a whole paragraph about your workouts just after that...

In conclusion, just read again what you wrote. Just try to notice that you are writing everything and the opposite in one paragraph. I hope you will learn few things with our comments and reconsider preaching ineptness like that...I will be happy to provide you with some stuff to read based on research if you are interested.

These are quotes from various sites as well as my own. I found this earlier http://www.eatsnowornever.com/mcdonalds-fast_food-diet-mcdiet/

This is something I will try and report back. I know it's not healthy but I like to see the results.

I'm almost always in a deficit and the body fat stalls may be from my body hanging on to what it has. Eating over my calorie intake dropped my body fat to very low levels. I'm documenting diets, exercise, metabolism, etc.

I'm going against all I know and was taught to challenge the nutrition guidelines set out.

I've come across many errors in test and those were crucial to lessons learned.

Edited by Tipex

The only reason a calorie isn't always a calorie is that we've measured total energy available in the food (through combustion) and assumed that the body can always realise all that energy.

That's not true, some things are easier to digest and/or more accessible for the body.

But ultimately, energy in => energy out results in weight gain and the opposite is true.

You could become ripped on a diet of soda and skittles, although you'd not get much of either.

As an extreme example, arctic explorers have to eat 6000 calories a day, mostly through eating pure butter. The have to do that because surviving in that environment burns so many calories. Butter wouldn't form part of a healthy diet, well, not eating blocks of the stuff on it's own, but in that situation they don't get fat because of the level of energy expenditure.

What you eat is important, but with regards to weight loss, total energy intake and expenditure is also absolutely key.

I'm almost always in a deficit and the body fat stalls may be from my body hanging on to what it has. Eating over my calorie intake dropped my body fat to very low levels. I'm documenting diets, exercise, metabolism, etc.

There are plenty of factors that can play a role so it's difficult to conclude anything from that. Maybe you are undereating so your metabolism thinks you are in danger then it will switch off unecessary functions and all hormones to store fat will be switched on.

How do you measure your body fat? There are chances that if you use a scale it is not accurate.

I'm going against all I know and was taught to challenge the nutrition guidelines set out.

I've come across many errors in test and those were crucial to lessons learned.

That's good to challenge your knowledge especially about nutrition as they are lot of bull**** in the medias. One advice would be to try to increase the quality of your experience, if you want to get something out of it, because the results you came up with were obviously wrong...