The Island ..channel 4

Just watched the first 15 minutes of this week's programme. The only solution to the lazy ones, is to say 'tomorrow, every man for himself'.

It's amazing what people can do when they have to rely on themselves to survive.

Just watched another 15 minutes. Are they mad going crocodile hunting at night? The crocodile is more likely to hunt them.

Why don't they just build a raft, there's more than enough wood around the island, then go further out to net fish?

They are right about the group turning into two camps. It would be interesting to see how the lazy camp fair for food if the group was split into two. Now that would make for an interesting programme.

Edited by poppet2

why is everyone getting on Rupert's back? He is trying to get food for people and everyone is having a pop. They are not exactly on holiday are they?

All the lazies will just stand around b1tch1ng that they have no food or water if it wasn't for people actually making an effort to look for it.

I thought they might have made more effort trying to catch some of the thousands of birds,instead of trying to catch a croc at night.

I won't be watching it again, I find it over-produced and I've been turned off by the disingenuity that is oozing from every orifice. They should have been honest about who the contestants are from the beginning and that they would indeed be given certain things beyond some knifes and machetes to survive.

Shame because the format has the potential to be good - if executed properly.

why is everyone getting on Rupert's back? He is trying to get food for people and everyone is having a pop. They are not exactly on holiday are they?

All the lazies will just stand around b1tch1ng that they have no food or water if it wasn't for people actually making an effort to look for it.

Sounds just like a normal society :D

Maybe because he is intentionally creating discord in the group. He is definitely not a team player. I think he's the biggest liability of them all in fact.

For example; after they went hunting at night, and found the turtle, they agreed not to share the discovery with the rest of the group (because of how Ryan would react). Next day, Rupert let slip to Ryan about the turtle! I think his intent was to upset and unbalance Ryan, because that better serves Rupert's agenda of splitting the group, and getting rid of those he considers to be less productive members (such as Ryan).

His whole approach and attitude doesn't help to create a cohesive group, where individuals contribute according to their talents. Rather, it creates more tension, disharmony and conflict; which makes for a less productive group effort.

It's still a problem of course, having dudes laying around all day, doing little, and leeching a share of the food. That definitely needs addressing.

I'm enjoying this provided I don't think into it too much. Some of it just seems a bit convenient to be real!

The youngest 3 are doing my head in, and make me feel a bit embarrassed to be a similar age to them. It just makes our generation look lazy! Luckily there are people such as the farmer (sorry, his name slips my mind) that proves that some don't mind a bit of graft.

Ryan and the turtle incident. You know turtles lay eggs at night. If you want any chance of seeing them - go with the group and start pulling your weight.

(Speaking of the turtle, did anyone else just for a split second think "oh no they're going to eat it!")

I was thinking it was food too. It's hardly a realistic survival effort, if you're not going to eat something, just because it's rare. If there really were stranded, and not on TV, it'd be in the pot!

Rupert did need it confirming though, he was asking, "so we can't eat it then?", and nobody replied, they just all walked off...

I'm enjoying this provided I don't think into it too much. Some of it just seems a bit convenient to be real!

The youngest 3 are doing my head in, and make me feel a bit embarrassed to be a similar age to them. It just makes our generation look lazy! Luckily there are people such as the farmer (sorry, his name slips my mind) that proves that some don't mind a bit of graft.

Ryan and the turtle incident. You know turtles lay eggs at night. If you want any chance of seeing them - go with the group and start pulling your weight.

(Speaking of the turtle, did anyone else just for a split second think "oh no they're going to eat it!")

Exactly the same, just for a split second. My wording was a bit different though :hihi:

I was thinking it was food too. It's hardly a realistic survival effort, if you're not going to eat something, just because it's rare. If there really were stranded, and not on TV, it'd be in the pot!

Rupert did need it confirming though, he was asking, "so we can't eat it then?", and nobody replied, they just all walked off...

Their so called realistic survival dilema lost all credibility at that time.It would have fed them for a week and why not? Let it lay its eggs and then eat it. If food remained scarce,then eat the eggs.That's how to survive.

Is the Island repeated somewhere on Tuesdays??? sure I saw it sometime on a Tues - can't get 4Od so need to catch it tonight..... ( laptop problem with plug-ins)

I think it's repeated a few times during the week.

Enjoyed the final episode, and the follow up programme was interesting too, think it was called 'Life After the Island'? Was interesting to see how they responded to all the mod cons we take for granted in our daily lives, coffee, sugar, beds, toilets that flush, etc.