The Island ..channel 4

did anyone watch the Island last night

about 13 modern men left to fend for themselves on a deserted island

very interesting

It took them around 24hrs to light a fire using the old stick/friction method in which time they were de-hydrated and starving and in real danger.

thing is ,there was a bloke wearing glasses and loads of broken bottles/glass washed up on the beach and not one of the blokes realised they could start a fire by this method.:loopy::loopy::loopy:

did anyone watch the Island last night

about 13 modern men left to fend for themselves on a deserted island

very interesting

It took them around 24hrs to light a fire using the old stick/friction method in which time they were de-hydrated and starving and in real danger.

thing is ,there was a bloke wearing glasses and loads of broken bottles/glass washed up on the beach and not one of the blokes realised they could start a fire by this method.:loopy::loopy::loopy:

We said the same thing Bigdinners. Plus , they had camera equipment with them too . We thought they could have maybe used a lens for the same purpose. Enjoyable programme though and looking forward to see how things progress when they have to catch their own food. Very sad to see just how much rubbish was washed up on that beautiful beach though wasn't it .

I wondered if some of that 'rubbish' had been put there for them to 'find' and possibly use ?

Watching it on 4oD at the moment, interesting social experiment.

Already see lots of different mistakes. Their key-strength is that they have 13 men there, they should have at least 3 groups of 3 trying to make fire.

The other 4 should split in 2 and keep scouring for rain-water deposits and mapping the island - perhaps find a source of fruit, biggest mistake stranded people make is think that liquid only occurs in the form of water in places like this, heck even the blood of an animal would be a source of liquid.

Once the fire is going the 3 initial groups need to focus all their effort on setting up a base-camp and creating shelter that keeps them out of the sun. Once they have done that they need to have 2x3 guys fishing full time and one group should be on rotational fire-duty.

They do need the fire going though because they will need to start doing a lot of things at night and sleep during the day in the sun.

They need me there, I am booking a flight. (PS I am completely f-ing useless in the heat, so I'd rather do this on a desolate rock in the Atlantic.)

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 15:16 ----------

I wondered if some of that 'rubbish' had been put there for them to 'find' and possibly use ?

No, plastic is all over the ocean. A sailing friend of mine actually got his boat stuck in a morass of floating plastic in the Pacific, when he reached his destination near Antarctica and 3,000 miles away from New Zealand he was shocked to see plastic everywhere.

Just watched the first 10 mins or so. Interesting how one of them keeps trying to take charge and establish his role as group leader (think it's the ex police officer), and most of the others just seem to be ignoring him.

What would you do? Would you try to be leader, or just accept someone else in the lead role, and be happy being told what to do?

why is it just blokes? :rolleyes:

I am watching it now on 4OD

Just watched the first 10 mins or so. Interesting how one of them keeps trying to take charge and establish his role as group leader (think it's the ex police officer), and most of the others just seem to be ignoring him.

What would you do? Would you try to be leader, or just accept someone else in the lead role, and be happy being told what to do?

Have you seen my posts? :hihi:

Seriously though, it is an interesting question. I know from all sorts of experiences that I would be the gentle guiding leader (the cop immediately took the father role, which wasn't what was needed but fits his experience). I'd enable discussion and get people to understand why certain things have to happen and others don't.

Regarding the gender thing, I think it was probably decided on the grounds that the place is going to be left to this group for four weeks - introducing the other gender might have caused issues. Would be interesting to see a follow up series with just women though, I think they'd probably surprise the socks off of most people.

Edited by tzijlstra

Seriously though, it is an interesting question. I know from all sorts of experiences that I would be the gentle guiding leader (the cop immediately took the father role, which wasn't what was needed but fits his experience). I'd enable discussion and get people to understand why certain things have to happen and others don't.

I think (based on watching just the first 10 minutes!) the cop came across as desperate to establish himself in the command position. Maybe this kind of behaviour actually marginalises a person?

I'd probably be quite like you. I wouldn't aspire to lead the group, just facilitate communication and hopefully bring out the best in people. After all, people have different propensities and skill sets, which as a group you'd want to utilise appropriately.

Regarding the gender thing, I think it was probably decided on the grounds that the place is going to be left to this group for four weeks - introducing the other gender might have caused issues. Would be interesting to see a follow up series with just women though, I think they'd probably surprise the socks off of most people.

Surprise the socks of me? How so?

Would be interesting to have had 2 separate islands, one per gender group; compare and contrast!

I think (based on watching just the first 10 minutes!) the cop came across as desperate to establish himself in the command position. Maybe this kind of behaviour actually marginalises a person?

I'd probably be quite like you. I wouldn't aspire to lead the group, just facilitate communication and hopefully bring out the best in people. After all, people have different propensities and skill sets, which as a group you'd want to utilise appropriately.

Surprise the socks of me? How so?

Would be interesting to have had 2 separate islands, one per gender group; compare and contrast!

I said most people ;) it would have been interesting to have two islands indeed, I suppose they ran out of money :)

What I don't quite get though is the role of Bear Grylls, this is the guy that was uncovered as actually sleeping in a nice hotel when he claimed to have been out in the woods for a program, and here he is, putting 13 men on an island whilst, no doubt, having a nice lodge on a nearby island, drinking cocktails in the sun and doing a bit of commentary once they come of the island. Can't be bad being famous huh!

It is a TV show designed to entertain.

Regardless of what you may think would be the best way to proceed, the participants are being told what they can and cannot do.

Regardless of what you may think would be the best way to proceed, the participants are being told what they can and cannot do.

Does this stop us discussing 'what ifs?' Getting a bit tired of you telling me what I can and can't do.

I assume they'll all have contracts, but is there a list of specific things they can and cannot do?

It didn't seem to be presented in that way. More of a case of, here's 13 modern chaps, without modern tools etc, how will they survive?