Xbmc-android tv

hello,

Just looking at the android t.v boxes on ebay. Has anybody got one? Are they any good? Surely there must be some catch - free movies and sport.

Cheers.

The "catch" is its not strictly legal. You're getting channels you aren't paying for but should be. I've looked into it but not got one, I understand they can be very good once you get it up and running

Not very good via wifi, much better if connected to the router, very good, make sure you get latest firm wire

Yeah, the thing is that some describe the box as being jailbroke, but there are others that don't state this, and it still says you can view sports and movies etc (for free).

I must admit they look good, and for the sake of around £50-£60 it must be worth a punt.

Just wanted to hear anybody's opinion, and try to find out which one to buy.

hello,

Just looking at the android t.v boxes on ebay. Has anybody got one? Are they any good? Surely there must be some catch - free movies and sport.

Cheers.

Got one off eBay and they are not thatgood.I had to set an account up at £10 per month to receive some channels

You can put xbmc on your laptop, theirs plenty of tutorials on how to install it on youtube. It is not the easiest thing to get on with. The best program is Navi -x but it has been down for over a month now.

I got one of these for the bedroom.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANDROID-INTERNET-SMART-MINI-PC-TV-MEDIA-PLAYER-BEST-VERSION-XBMC-JAILBR-KEN-/261276708369?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM&hash=item3cd54e2e11

To be honest they're not bad, no issues with streaming over wifi etc, they run nice and quick and switching between apps is fast enough.

The adverts that state they're 'jailbroken' are a bit silly as the terms applies to Apple devices, all of the 'free' TV and sports options are freely available XBMC plugins that can be installed by yourself.

The "catch" is its not strictly legal. You're getting channels you aren't paying for but should be. I've looked into it but not got one, I understand they can be very good once you get it up and running
XBMC is perfectly legal, it's up to the user what they use it for.

If you're using it to watch a "not strictly legal" channel then it's up to you but there's plenty of legal uses for XBMC.

I've read that streaming from such channels appears to be a grey area, legal-wise, as it's not straightforward downloading.

If anyone can point me to the laws governing this, please do!

Not very good via wifi, much better if connected to the router, very good, make sure you get latest firm wire
Mine's excellent via wi-fi

Yeah, the thing is that some describe the box as being jailbroke, but there are others that don't state this, and it still says you can view sports and movies etc (for free).

I must admit they look good, and for the sake of around £50-£60 it must be worth a punt.

Just wanted to hear anybody's opinion, and try to find out which one to buy.

I've not heard of one being jailbroken, I thought that was an IOS thing rather than Android.

Previously I had the Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim+ which struggled a little to play XBMC as an app but worked fine if you flashed it to run the Linux based XBMC (which removes Android).

I now have a Sumvision Cyclone Android 2 which is excellent. Plays XBMC fine as an app as well as other video streaming apps (and games, as long as they don't require multi point touch).

Also has audio out, 4 USB ports and an SD card slot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Android-player-standard/dp/B00GIODOEQ

It's perfectly legal what are you on about??

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 10:30 ----------

I've read that streaming from such channels appears to be a grey area, legal-wise, as it's not straightforward downloading.

If anyone can point me to the laws governing this, please do!

There are no laws to cover it.

It has been 'tested' in a couple of countries, each time they find that viewing the streamed content is not illegal and the one at fault is the person/website providing the streamed content.

It's not been tested in our country, but with the poor track record it's not likely to be, the action is now to target the source websites and take them down.

if you have hdmi output on pc are laptop much better just putting xbmc on that and output to tv just add mashup and thats really all you will need

There are no laws to cover it.
Look up 'copyright' and, under that general heading, 'broadcast copyrights' ;)

It's cutting edge copyright law practice atm, you may also want to Google 'Aero' with 'Supreme Court'.

It has been 'tested' in a couple of countries, each time they find that viewing the streamed content is not illegal and the one at fault is the person/website providing the streamed content.
Whilst that principle still stands for the end user (...for now) in (very-) general terms, it's actually significantly more complicated than that.

And it may not always be that way, so if you're "into that game", it pays to keep a close eye on relevant legislative developments ;)

I did and I found this:

Broadcasts, which may be transmitted by cable or wireless means, including satellite broadcasts, but excluding most transmissions on the internet, afford copyright protection in addition to any copyright in the content of broadcasts such as films, music and literary material.

Also in the news last year: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/mar/07/tv-live-streaming

The ruling obviously shows re-transmitting live TV over the internet is not legal.

It doesn't make any mention of anyone watching the stream tho, it doesn't say it's illegal to watch that stream only that it's illegal to create it.