Hillsborough Disaster - 15 years ago

It's 15 years ago today since the tragic events at Hillsborough.

What are peoples memories of that day?

I actually went to the ground that day 1 hour and a 1/2 before the match to buy a programme (I used to collect them). I saw the events unfold on TV that afternoon and was shocked when the news broke about the fatalities. Having gone to Hillsborough hundreds of times and visited many other grounds it seemed all the more shocking how easily it had happened, and at one of the best grounds in the country at the time, but with hindsight it was a tragedy waiting to happen !

I remember I was coming home from Sheffield Centre on a bus that generally went past Hillsborough and down Leppings lane at around 4-5pm. I remember there was Ambulances everywhere. Nobody knew what was going on, there was fans walking all over the road and the match hadn't even finished. The Bus got redirected another alternate route and then the bus drive stopped the bus and asked a fan what had happened, the fan said "people are dying" I'll never forget that to this day. When I got home, I switched on the news and it was all over the news.

I was living in Barnsley at the time. Never paid much attention to the TV on match day, usually same old stuff about Barnsley.

But I remember catching bits of the news reports and thinking that it must have happened far a way then my gran showed me a map :shock:

Moon Maiden

I was at the gym on that hot Saturday morning on the Moor and heard the constant sound of sirens.

I mentioned to a mate that something was not right as the sirens went on for to long.

I then found out when i got home on the radio.

I was in my garden that day at Sheffield Lane Top, I could hear sirens going all the time, I remember saying to my wife "it sounds as though some silly b is having a right scrap at the match" it was only later when I had the radio on that what was really happening broke to us. The rest is history.

I was pregnant at the time with my first child and living on Kelvin Flats. Me and my then husband were on the bus to the shops at Middlewood road when it just turned into madness. Someone on the bus said a wall had collapsed and killed poeple. People were running about screaming and crying. It wasn't till we got home and put in the news that we knew just wat had happened. It was awful and I will never forget it.

I did a search and can't find any mention of this on the site - we were talking about this at work the other day and I'd just be interested to hear people's views on what happened that day - and specifically what caused it?

Thanks

Threads merged.

The real tragedy is that people were going to be killed outside, which is why the gates were opened to relieve the pressure. A tough choice for the Police, but they had no other option at that stage.

It's a shame that some of the scallies were so traumatised that they had to go back to the pubs and smash them up and steal from the vending machines after the game.

But the biggest tragedy is that people who were inside the ground in plenty of time were the ones that were killed :(

The hundreds that turned up late and tried pushing their way in got away with it. I hope they burn in hell. :evil:

Originally posted by Tony

The real tragedy is that people were going to be killed outside, which is why the gates were opened to relieve the pressure. A tough choice for the Police, but they had no other option at that stage.

It's a shame that some of the scallies were so traumatised that they had to go back to the pubs and smash them up and steal from the vending machines after the game.

But the biggest tragedy is that people who were inside the ground in plenty of time were the ones that were killed :(

The hundreds that turned up late and tried pushing their way in got away with it. I hope they burn in hell. :evil:

hear hear :thumbsup: