Need a zoom lense for a Nikon D3100

Hi there

I've recently bought a nikon D3100.

The lense that came with it is ok but the zoom isn't that great.

I'm looking for another lense that will enable me to take better pics from a distance eggs wildlife etc.

I am on a budget so ideally looking for something second hand.

Do you have any recommendations?

all depends on the budget really. if you want good telephoto :

nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 70-300mm OS, sigma 150-500mm

you could go to HarrisonCameras on London road and try/buy what you like. they have 2nd hand section there too

you could go to HarrisonCameras on London road and try/buy what you like. they have 2nd hand section there too

Ive used all those lenses in my time and only really liked the Nikon 70-300mm VR

cheap as chips, my own one is still preforming well, the others I gave back to sigma despite having them on a freebie loan, the 150-500mm

i found to be soft with the image focus and hunted a fair bit, the sigma 70-300mm OS was reasonable, but I hardly used it, the nikon 70-300mm

was so light and worked so well quick sharp focus I often found it better than my heavier 70-200 VR 2.8 as nice as the images were, and probably

best mid range zoom Nikon has produced over the years it is a bit weighty.

My vote would be the Nikon 70-300 vr but others may have given the Sigma version more of a chance than i did so see if anyone can vouch for it,

as a contender, best advice is to take your body down to Harrison if they have any in stock and try them out on your camera, see how you feel about how they handle.

I used the Sigma for a month.About as sharp as a butter knife.Really not worth the money.

Sigma lenses are mostly rubbish, stick to Nikon, Tokina and maybe the odd Tamron.

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 was nice lens to use, but pricey at the time, off for a looks at fleabay to see the prices for one is now.

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 was nice lens to use, but pricey at the time, off for a looks at fleabay to see the prices for one is now.

Ooo that's a biggie isn't it.

Ooo that's a biggie isn't it.

It is but as big as my old Nikon Ais 400mm 2.8 which used to kill my back, Oh how I don't miss the manual focus days 5kg plus, I sold it long ago but it still being used up at Murryfield.

I prefer the lightweight plastic types theses days, after years of dragging a peli case about it much nicer sticking everything into a shoulder bag, although I still have a few of the earlier Nikon metal bodied lenses from the 90s that get some use.

As for the peli case, it's always been good to sit/stand on.

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 15:51 ----------

I'm trying to remember sigma chief technician although he most probably retired by now a very large guy, lovely bloke, he used to loan out lots of lenses he always calibrated the lenses to your camera I think that's main problem with sigma they can be hit and miss for people but if calibrated they, could really deliver on focus and speed.

It is but as big as my old Nikon Ais 400mm 2.8 which used to kill my back, Oh how I don't miss the manual focus days 5kg plus, I sold it long ago but it still being used up at Murryfield.

I prefer the lightweight plastic types theses days, after years of dragging a peli case about it much nicer sticking everything into a shoulder bag, although I still have a few of the earlier Nikon metal bodied lenses from the 90s that get some use.

As for the peli case, it's always been good to sit/stand on.

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 15:51 ----------

I'm trying to remember sigma chief technician although he most probably retired by now a very large guy, lovely bloke, he used to loan out lots of lenses he always calibrated the lenses to your camera I think that's main problem with sigma they can be hit and miss for people but if calibrated they, could really deliver on focus and speed.

Just googled that lens and it looks very hefty :hihi:

On the Ken Rockwell site he says the lens hood alone costs $500 :o

The Sigma 50-150 EX DC HSM f2.8 is a cracking lense. Great image quality, brilliantly fast to focus thanks to the HSM motor.

As you may or may not know the D3100 doesn't have a focus motor so if you want auto focus you need a lens with a built in motor.

You could get a Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USM which on a DX body like your D3100 gives you 105-450mm thanks to the 1.5x crop factor. This lens is comparable to the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and even out performed it in some tests.

It just so happens I have such a lens for sale. 2 years old, only took around 2000 shots, immaculate condition, fitted with Jessops UV filter from new, boxed and with original receipts for £200ovno. Only selling because I've now got a 300mm prime + teleconverter and need funds for a better tripod.

You're welcome to give it a try if you're interested send me a PM

Edited by moggy600
added last line