Trying to claim money while awaiting income after illness

i've been claiming Statutory Sick Pay (SSP ) for 5/6 weeks during and after being in hospital , am finally going back to work but won't get paid til the 30th May . have just received a very minimal sum of SSP which i can't afford to live on, have managed to postpone my rent payments though will probably be in arrears.

in the meantime, i have direct debits, shopping, a bit of going out, and when i'm in my flat more, it's costing me more in electricity

i tried to apply for what used to be a 'crisis loan' but because i won't be claiming any benefit because i'll be back at work, i can't get anything

Before anyone tells me to cut back and be economical,

i don't smoke, i drive an economical car which i need for work,

i spend less than £10 on my mobile phone per month,

and i drink very little when i go out

so now i've got that out of the way, does anyone know any way of getting any money to tide me over for the next 4 weeks?

even a Credit Union is , i've found, extremely hard to apply for a loan with ..

Have you tried a budgeting loan from the job centre? you can get up to 350 for a single person. these loans are interest free and paid back at a limit you can afford.

Have you tried a budgeting loan from the job centre? you can get up to 350 for a single person. these loans are interest free and paid back at a limit you can afford.

They don't do them, or Crisis loans anymore...

I asked a couple of weeks ago and that's what I was told!

they don't do "crisis loans" anymore but they still do budgeting loans/social funding loans because i had one not too long ago, so whoever told you that, is bullsh*tting you.

Good luck hope you sort something out.

Edited by 999tigger

thanks for your replies.. yes they said Crisis Loans weren't being done anymore, and when i contacted the council's supposed local assistance scheme i was told that because i won't be on benefit anymore once i go back to work, they won't be able to work

so yes i was totally up against a brick wall

as for the CAB, i can't see how .... when push comes to shove... they'll be able to suggest anything different, if and when i can actually get an appointment with anyone which might not be for a week or 2 !!

thanks for the grants search link though, but i'm sure they'll find a way to exclude me or it'll take til the end of the month for a decision!

Have you asked your Employer if they can help you with a loan ?

Edited by kevvy
txt

there is no way my company will be able to loan or advance me anything due to the nature of them and my job/contract (no, nothing dodgy !!)

i just looked at a 'turn to us' website searching for charitable funding, but none of them remotely matches my situation though i'm still wading thru the 600+ options

Any friends or relatives who could help out with a short term loan?

Most companies will be happy to help and delay payments while you catch up if you phone them before you're in arrears, and explain, then you can work out something with them....

There's no reason it should cause any major problems...

most co's help and it shouldn't cause any major problems?

this is a theoretical happy situation to be in

which unfortunately i am not

as for friends and relatives, no, i am asking about official help that i could be entitled to.

sometimes there is help out there, but everyone (e.g council/govt depts) reluctant to say what it is, then somehow you hear that there was something... if only you knew.

If you are over 25, and working full time (30 hrs +, you should count as this even on SSP) you could apply for Working Tax Credits depending on your income. Would really recommend ringing Sheffield AdviceLine (run by CAB) as they maybe able to arrange an appt fairly quickly or point you in the right direction with regards to the above: 0114 205 5055, Mon-Fri 10am-4pm. Hope you get something sorted.