Re-homing a staffy

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice for a friend. She has a female staffy nearly 3 yrs old. She has just got a bungalow and although she is allowed a dog the garden is like a postage stamp and no fence round it. She has been in touch with the R.S.P.C.A. but they have a very long waiting list to re home a dog, she has also been in touch with other rescue centres but all tell the same story. My friend has health problems and walking the dog now is not an option for her. She doesn't really want to just advertise her as she is afraid of the type of person who would respond and she would have difficulty vetting such people etc. Does anyone know of maybe a local charity that may be able to help, it is quite urgent as she should move any day now. Can you help please, many thanks in advance.x

Sadly, all the charities are full to the brim with unwanted dogs (especially Staffy's).

Rather than your friend get rid, couldn't she get someone to take the dog for walkies or have a fence put up? Even if the garden is small...it isn't worth giving up a beloved pet.

If theres no way she can keep it and the rescue centres wont take her you might want to think about PTS. I would never re-home a staff these days with all the horror stories you read.

Thanks alisonmanic for your reply but she has no money to spare. It is a council bungalow, quite small and the council say they wont repair the fence even though it is a boundary fence onto a wood. The dog is rather a handful as she is young and has been used to a large garden to run around in, she feels it is not in the dogs best interests to keep her there however much she is loved. x

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 21:14 ----------

advancedskim, what is PTS? The point you make about the horror stories is exactly why she wanted to go through an organisation who would possibly vet the people who wanted the dog. I know its a bit of a dead end but I said I would try the forum for her.

Thanks alisonmanic for your reply but she has no money to spare. It is a council bungalow, quite small and the council say they wont repair the fence even though it is a boundary fence onto a wood. The dog is rather a handful as she is young and has been used to a large garden to run around in, she feels it is not in the dogs best interests to keep her there however much she is loved. x

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 21:14 ----------

advancedskim, what is PTS? The point you make about the horror stories is exactly why she wanted to go through an organisation who would possibly vet the people who wanted the dog. I know its a bit of a dead end but I said I would try the forum for her.

PTS = Put To Sleep.

Sorry being a bit slow there regarding PTS, as desperate as she is I dont think that even entered her head. It never entered mine, she was just hoping to re-home, I have told her that may not be easy. x

Hi, as previously said all rescues are over flowing with staffy's.

However, try asking the rescues if they would home check for you . Also many of the rescues have volunteer dog walkers , if one lives close to your friend they may offer to walk the dog now and again. Which area is your friend going to live in?

Also the Cinamon Trust helps in these situations and may be able to help with a CRB checked dog walker , there is no charge for this.

Edited by gingers

ParkyJ, thank you for yr P.M. will pass on both numbers, Thanks.X

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 12:15 ----------

Gingers, it is in S8 a dog walker could be a short term solution until she can find a home for her, Thank you. x

Good luck with this

Edited by gingers

Gingers, pm'd you