What's in a name

Never mind all that rubbish, I'm intrigued, is the date quoted in that post of Bypassblades correct?

Wednesday played their first game at Hillsborough in 1899? And the previous season they were playing at Olive Grove?

If that's true then as United were formed in 1889 they must have been playing within half a mile of each other for ten years.

I'd always assumed that Wednesday moved to Owlerton and then United were formed to ensure full use of the Lane during the winter.

I know that the Lane was never Wednesdays home ground, they just played their most important games there, as indeed they still do!

Not overly familiar with Wednesdays history but no doubt one of you lads can enlighten me.

Hmmmmm you are blurring the lines there pal! The Pistols formed in 1975 but didn't gig until November that year. The Clash and The Damned formed in 1976. I think 1976 is the year most people refer to as the birth of punk.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 15:29 ----------

My Grandad was a Blade and he (and many others) would go to SWFC when United were not playing at home, I think this was very common and the rivalry a lot less severe than it is today.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 16:16 ----------

There's certainly one person on here who makes himself look dafter! :hihi:

Well personal insults are much the norm on here aren't they what with incontinence pads[ ageist] and now you flaunting your superior posting ability so Il'e carry on being daft and thee carry on trying to find a hat that fits.

Edited by cuttsie

Never mind all that rubbish, I'm intrigued, is the date quoted in that post of Bypassblades correct?

Wednesday played their first game at Hillsborough in 1899? And the previous season they were playing at Olive Grove?

If that's true then as United were formed in 1889 they must have been playing within half a mile of each other for ten years.

I'd always assumed that Wednesday moved to Owlerton and then United were formed to ensure full use of the Lane during the winter.

I know that the Lane was never Wednesdays home ground, they just played their most important games there, as indeed they still do!

Not overly familiar with Wednesdays history but no doubt one of you lads can enlighten me.

Aaron will know:hihi: he has contacts.

Wednesday moved their main stand from Olive Grove up to Owlerton, Bramall Lane was of course a cricket ground the 'United' bit was an amalgamation of local cricket clubs originally, which included The Wednesday Cricket Club. Sheffield United FC were formed to occupy Bramall Lane in winter ..... had Wednesday wanted to lease it United would probably not have been formed ;)

Wednesday moved their main stand from Olive Grove up to Owlerton, Bramall Lane was of course a cricket ground the 'United' bit was an amalgamation of local cricket clubs originally, which included The Wednesday Cricket Club. Sheffield United FC were formed to occupy Bramall Lane in winter ..... had Wednesday wanted to lease it United would probably not have been formed ;)

And that would have been the best thing for the future of togga in Sheffield.

I never use the word pig, imagine it with Sheffield strangers.

Either supporter wouldn't know who you were on about if you said pigs, both call it each other.

sufc, second hand cricket team, second hand football team, second hand ground, second hand nickname, and second hand insults, If I was red and white I would look to the monkey for insults, much more original, and would give us Wed's fans a real guffaw.

Edited by hathechewed

Yes, well from a pure business point of view they slipped up there didn't they? :)

Know about the cricket club, but did the two football clubs play alongside each other for years?

Incidentally I knew Eric Taylor through business, he was a customer of a company I worked for and I met him on a number of occasions.

He had a proposal for both teams to ground share. The thing being that it was the Lane that would be both teams ground.

The idea was that both teams would share Hillsborough for a season or two whilst the Lane was totally rebuilt from scratch.

Then Hillsborough would be sold off to help finance the deal.

Made financial sense and it's done on the continent by some major clubs.

Although I would have liked to have disliked Eric Taylor because of who he was, I couldn't do it, he was a first class gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

The only thing was I had to remember to keep my face straight when meeting him.

He had a definite physical resemblance to an owl ,which tickled me no end, good bloke though. :)

Yes, well from a pure business point of view they slipped up there didn't they? :)

Know about the cricket club, but did the two football clubs play alongside each other for years?

Incidentally I knew Eric Taylor through business, he was a customer of a company I worked for and I met him on a number of occasions.

He had a proposal for both teams to ground share. The thing being that it was the Lane that would be both teams ground.

The idea was that both teams would share Hillsborough for a season or two whilst the Lane was totally rebuilt from scratch.

Then Hillsborough would be sold off to help finance the deal.

Made financial sense and it's done on the continent by some major clubs.

Although I would have liked to have disliked Eric Taylor because of who he was, I couldn't do it, he was a first class gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

The only thing was I had to remember to keep my face straight when meeting him.

He had a definite physical resemblance to an owl ,which tickled me no end, good bloke though. :)

I have a few old books somewhere in my garage, a couple written by a bloke called Keith Farnsworth, one about Wednesday and one about Sheffield football, I would have to dig them out and read them again to clarify that sort of info, it's a long time since I read them and my memory ain't what it used to be !