What's in a name

Well you can count me out, I love my bacon sarnies. Just glad I'm not a Muslim. :hihi:

And thats the reason , the tale maybe false:hihi:

Where as no one can be offended nor yet provide on here the evidence the S6 stadia was not built on farm land !

Out of the two, the latter would make more reasoning, however i for one am happy for us to call each other by the same, seems the mods arn"t.

It would have been either Cala Bona or Cala Millor, I will try and dig out the picture and see if I can make out the name of the restaurant. It was on the sea front, over looking the beach.

Why was it over looking the beach ?

Must have been for work

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/3090231-157397-eps10-crosshair-with-human-inside-illustration.jpg

Does this help?

History[edit]

During the 1898–99 season Sheffield Wednesday were told that the land rented at Olive Grove would be needed for railway expansions.[4] They were allowed to remain there for the rest of that season but had to find a new ground for the next season. Several locations were considered but fell through for various reasons. An alternative was offered by the Midland Railway Company but it did not meet the requirements of the club.

Finally James Willis Dixon of Hillsborough House, owner of the Silversmiths James Dixon & Sons, offered a 10-acre (40,000 m2) site at Owlerton, a sparsely populated area of land to the northwest of the city. The land was part of the Hillsborough House estate which was being sold off by the Dixons. It was successfully bought for £5,000 plus costs. Soil was dumped at both ends of the ground to level out the ground which was initially meadowland covered with dandelions. The 2,000 capacity stand at Olive Grove was then transported to the new site and was joined by a newly constructed 3,000 capacity stand for the start of the next season. The first match to be played was on 2 September 1899 against Chesterfield. The match was kicked off by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield William Clegg, himself a former Wednesday player. It was a Chesterfield player, Herbert Munday, who scored the first goal at the new stadium but Wednesday came back to win the game 5–1. Despite the location of the ground several miles outside the city boundaries and a poor public transport service the new ground averaged 3,000 supporters for the first three months.

Where as no one can be offended nor yet provide on here the evidence the S6 stadia was not built on farm land !

The burden of proof is surely on those that say it was. Anyway, what if it was? I would imagine Bramall Lane was originally farmland as was most of the housing in Sheffield.

Does this help?

History[edit]

During the 1898–99 season Sheffield Wednesday were told that the land rented at Olive Grove would be needed for railway expansions.[4] They were allowed to remain there for the rest of that season but had to find a new ground for the next season. Several locations were considered but fell through for various reasons. An alternative was offered by the Midland Railway Company but it did not meet the requirements of the club.

Finally James Willis Dixon of Hillsborough House, owner of the Silversmiths James Dixon & Sons, offered a 10-acre (40,000 m2) site at Owlerton, a sparsely populated area of land to the northwest of the city. The land was part of the Hillsborough House estate which was being sold off by the Dixons. It was successfully bought for £5,000 plus costs. Soil was dumped at both ends of the ground to level out the ground which was initially meadowland covered with dandelions. The 2,000 capacity stand at Olive Grove was then transported to the new site and was joined by a newly constructed 3,000 capacity stand for the start of the next season. The first match to be played was on 2 September 1899 against Chesterfield. The match was kicked off by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield William Clegg, himself a former Wednesday player. It was a Chesterfield player, Herbert Munday, who scored the first goal at the new stadium but Wednesday came back to win the game 5–1. Despite the location of the ground several miles outside the city boundaries and a poor public transport service the new ground averaged 3,000 supporters for the first three months.

Come on Pete, that one is as old as the hills:hihi:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar United one!

Does this help?

History[edit]

Come on pete you wrote this all them years ago & can still remember word for word... ;):)

Great post mjw47 and great thread all round, it's posts like these when you wish the forum had a like button.

This thread has got me thinking now about the term pig and where it came from in Sheffield Football. Do we presume now that if we are talking about the Hagan days that the term pig was used in the 50's? If so this pre-dates the punk theory and probably adds more truth to the Upside down owl or change of badge and Owl looking like a pig theory.

This explains why they call us p*gs then but why did we come tocall them pigs? Just a like for like insult?

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 22:30 ----------

Having just discussed this with a veteran owl who I know he thinks it derives from the location of Hillsborough, as we all know it is said to be on the grounds or at least the north side of the ground is said to be on the old penistone pig farm according to the ordinance survey map.

Actually I have just found a post from this very forum made by a member called alchresearch dated 2004.

This is an extract from a document from the Sheffield Local History Society, which can be viewed at Sheffield's Central Library.

"The Wednesday football club was formed on 4th September 1867. The football club first played its games at the Olive Grove Sports Ground in Heeley before moving to a new stadium in the Owlerton district of Sheffield.

The first Ordnance Survey maps (1850's) mark a building close to where the stadium now stands as 'Swine Cottage'. They also show another farm on Penistone Road, south of where the North Stand is situated, which was also believed to be a large piggery. Pork farming is thought to have been practised in the area since the early 1800's, and did not cease until around 1900 when the city's rapid expansion put an end to livestock production in the area. At its height the "Owlerton Piggery," as it was known, provided work for some 50 employees.

Initial discussions about a nickname began soon after the Wednesday arrived at Owlerton. In reference to their new home, most club officials were in favour of "The Owls." However, another suggestion was also popular. In view of the area's strong tradition of pork farming, a popular grass-roots alternative was "The Pigs."

Although the name "Owls" prevailed, many working class supporters continued to refer to their team as "t'pigs." A popular song of the time "They may be t'Owls to some, (but they'll always be pigs to me)" was performed in music halls across South Yorkshire. As late as the 1920's, fans used to welcome their team onto the field with the characteristic grunting sound we still associate with the club. This peculiarity was once referred to by BBC commentator Edward Milburn, who famously described Hillsborough as a "sea of grunts" moments after The Wednesday won the First Division title in 1932.

The only grunting I ever heard at Hillsboro is when they who shall not be spoken about come to play, still remember one particular xmas, never eaten so many pigs in blankets.

I still like to think the local farm story has legs, and Beres pork sandwich shop is situated on the same turf in tribute.

The farm story is nonsense, the land the ground was built on was bought from James Dixons the silversmiths for £4,500, I posted that several years back on another thread about this. That snippet of information is in the 100 years of Hillsborough book.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220235&page=3

I have seen a map of the area from back then and I have also seen a programme article for a Sheffield derby back in the 60s where bacon was mentioned regarding the Blades, I will try and find a (sausage) link for ya :D

Come on pete you wrote this all them years ago & can still remember word for word... ;):)

Trying to help, just took it from Wiki

The burden of proof is surely on those that say it was. Anyway, what if it was? I would imagine Bramall Lane was originally farmland as was most of the housing in Sheffield.

Agreed , i have no issue with the P*** debate or where it was formed, blame it on Bacon and the Blades, as per my previous posts, more tasty bacon for the bright half of the city :)

Trying to help, just took it from Wiki

Sorry, it must be true then ;)

The farm story is nonsense, the land the ground was built on was bought from James Dixons the silversmiths for £4,500, I posted that several years back on another thread about this. That snippet of information is in the 100 years of Hillsborough book.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220235&page=3

I have seen a map of the area from back then and I have also seen a programme article for a Sheffield derby back in the 60s where bacon was mentioned regarding the Blades, I will try and find a (sausage) link for ya :D

As you quoted me ,

What part of am more than happy to think it was the bacon story that was true ??? does it really matter ? its banter, its likely neither are true, but we will still continue to call each other by the P word.

We Blades know who the real ones are lol, down South Barnsley way :)

Edited by POUNDSWORTH