The big Sheffield Space For Cycling campaign ride, Sat 17th May

We'd like to see a Sheffield where everyone had the choice to ride a bike, free from fear of traffic. But sadly this is far from the case at the moment. Join us on the 'Space For Cycling' campaign ride on Saturday 17th May and make your presence felt.

Perhaps you have a bike and ride it regularly? Or perhaps you've got a bike you don't use, maybe because you're intimidated by traffic and do so don't enjoy riding it? Perhaps you are a confident rider but find it stressful cycling with your children?

Join us, the more people we have, the more powerful the message the ride will send to Sheffield City Council that we want freedom to choose to walk or cycle if we so wish, without that meaning we are put in danger.

The four aims of the 'Space For Cycling' campaign are -

1. Safe walking and cycling routes for schoolchildren & students.
  2. Safe cycling routes through and around the city centre & suburban centres
  3. Protected space on main streets and through major junctions.
  4. Removal of through traffic from residential streets.

The ride is organised by Cycle Sheffield, and will be marshalled by members. Families are welcome. If you have a bike but do not feel confident in getting to Barker's Pool for the start of the ride, PM me, we may be able to find someone else coming the same way if you'd feel happier riding with someone.

Details

Saturday May 17th,

10.30-11am Assemble in Barker's Pool

11am - Start

12.30pm - Finish at Town Hall Steps

• Join the Facebook group here
  • Join the Facebook event here
  • Follow us on Twitter @S4Csheffield/@craftybikegirl/@SHcriticalmass
  • Use this easy online form to email your local councillors & ask them to support the campaign here
  • Get a FREE bike plate to put on your bike here
  • If you would like leaflets or a poster to put up at work then PM me and I will get one to you.

NB. There have been plenty of threads discussing cycling in the past. If you wish to have a discussion please use on of those. I just want to let people know about the ride ;-)

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 09:04 ----------

Thanks to everyone who has contacted me directly about the ride so far. Really heartening & looking forward to meeting you on the day.

We will shortly have some Space for Cycling button badges and stickers too, so let me know if you would like some & we can sort something out.

Cheers :-)

Edited by babymonkey
typo

Great! Spread the word and bring your friends :-)

There'll also be a bike decorating session in Devonshire Green next Saturday 10th May 10-1 if anyone wants to bring their bikes and use our art materials to get them decorated and looking their best ahead of the big ride.

---------- Post added 07-05-2014 at 15:03 ----------

The route is now available on Google maps here - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208696977505303518811.0004f6eb315eb6ca08e29&msa=0&ll=53.371808,-1.4853&spn=0.022967,0.066047&dg=feature

If anyone would like to join in but doesn't want to do the whole ride, you are welcome to join us at any point along the route.

Also if anyone wants to come to the ride and lives in Nether Edge, you can cycle to the start in a nice friendly group as part of the Nether Edge Bikebus - see details here - http://edgecyclists.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/space-for-cycling-ride-and-how-you-can-help-the-campaign/

Cheers