Sign in to follow this  

Domestic servant and Housewifery School, Gell Street

I came across a picture of this on picturesheffield and I had never heard of it before... can anyone enlighten me about it. When did it operate and when did it close. I also know there was an Ecclesall Bierlow workhouse in Union Street, Nether Edge and wondered if the children from there were trained on Gell Street.

My Husband's Grandma came up from Bristol to work for a Sheffield Vicar as a kind of Home Help. I think it was probably around 1922ish. She met her Husband in Sheffield who was from that area and they settled and had their First Child on Gell St. I wonder if she had connections to this place. I vaguely remember reading years ago that it was run by a religious institute, but can't rember who?

White's 1919/20 Directory calls this the Sheffield Servants' Home - 137 & 139 Gell Street. There's no indication of who owned it though. White's 1901 Directory, on-line at http://www.historicaldirectories.org, shows it was one of a number of institutions under the umbrella of the The Sheffield Union for the Care and Help of Girls and Young Women.

Hugh