Tenancy renewal charges

My tenancy agreement is finishing this month and the landlord wants £35 to renew the contract. Is this legal?

Do you wish to stay?

Read your tenancy agreement, does it cover renewals?

Who wants the £35 the LL or the agent?

If its the agent then I probably wouldn’t pay unless you wanted a new tenancy for however long.

Alternatively if you carry on being a tenant after the expiry date, then it will switch to being a periodic tenancy where you give 1 and I think LL 2 months notice.

If that’s ok for you, then contact the LL direct and inform him you want to stay, but are happy for it to go to a periodic tenancy.

If the LL wants to keep you as a tenant he says yes and if he doesn’t because he wants the £35, then he serves his 2 months notice on you. Most LL just want uninterrupted rent and someone who doesn’t trash the place. If he insists he wants his £35, then that’s up to him and you have to consider whether he will serve notice for it. That’s the risk you take and you are in the best position to know. He can just put your rent up by £5 a week and that’s £260 for him.

Edited by 999tigger

£35? I've just been sent an invoice for £114 to renew mine!

Safe to say I wont be paying. £114 to change dates on a contract? I think not.

Just spoke to landlord and he has agreed to waive the £35 fee new contract just been signed

Just spoke to landlord and he has agreed to waive the £35 fee new contract just been signed

Good for you!

Landlords need reminding that the Letting Agents are theirs (not T's); so L ought to be paying such fees.