Time to boycott Subway i think?

Kebab houses, pizza shops, KFC's. my local chippy,

They all do halal yet we dont hear anyone kicking off.

Maybe because all those places start out being halal from the beginning so you know what to expect.

This is Subway removing some products which have been available for some time.

But your KFC reference - Halal franchises removed bacon from a chicken burger a while back, there's a nice long thread about it on here.

If I'm understanding it correctly isn't it not so much that they only use halal meat in the beef and chicken range, which you sort of more or less expect from a Muslim run joint, but that now they're not going to offer anything in the bacon, ham, gammon range?

So they're not expanding their customer base, they're restricting it. Wouldn't have thought that made good business sense, even if it fits in with their religious scruples.

They're not restricting their customer base, as many of these outlets (185 of over 1700) have been halal since they opened. There have been halal outlets in the UK since 2007.

This isn't news, nothing is changing, it's just the Daily Mail stirring.

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 11:49 ----------

This is Subway removing some products which have been available for some time.

They're not though. They've not announced plans to convert stores to halal. The Daily Mail has only just cottoned on to the fact that they have halal outlets.

As subway themselves put it, in their response to the Daily Mail's story:

Due to the growing popularity of the SUBWAY® chain, with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland, we put a programme in place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location.

http://www.subway.co.uk/media/news/halal-stores.aspx

Edited by dosxuk

In an area of Halal meat eaters I don't see the problem. Most of us eat it anyway in our local Kebab house.

It does rather discriminate against those who fancied a bit of bacon though.

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 12:03 ----------

They're not restricting their customer base, as many of these outlets (185 of over 1700) have been halal since they opened. There have been halal outlets in the UK since 2007.

This isn't news, nothing is changing, it's just the Daily Mail stirring.

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 11:49 ----------

They're not though. They've not announced plans to convert stores to halal. The Daily Mail has only just cottoned on to the fact that they have halal outlets.

As subway themselves put it, in their response to the Daily Mail's story:

http://www.subway.co.uk/media/news/halal-stores.aspx

Or to put it another way. Not the Daily Mail

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/subway-adopts-sharia-law-185-uk-outlets-halal-meats-only-policy-1446781

Sandwiches at 185 Subway outlets in Britain and Ireland no longer come with ham or bacon as the pig is regarded as unclean in Islam.

The pork has been replaced by turkey in a move the company hopes will avoid offending Muslim customers. Turkey is halal, or clean, to Muslims

Edited by Scabbydog

I have not gone to subway since they opened up all over the place. Used to frequent when I was at uni, was sort of a novelty back then as we only had one in Sheffield.

A shame they have rid of the bacon etc, but since a few of them are in minority areas; they have to cater to that area. Makes good business sense.

Chinese places that open here cater to the British, and serve dishes that cater to local tastes here. That is how the food biz works.

Or to put it another way. Not the Daily Mail

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/subway-adopts-sharia-law-185-uk-outlets-halal-meats-only-policy-1446781

Sandwiches at 185 Subway outlets in Britain and Ireland no longer come with ham or bacon as the pig is regarded as unclean in Islam.

The pork has been replaced by turkey in a move the company hopes will avoid offending Muslim customers. Turkey is halal, or clean, to Muslims

The Daily Mail were the first news source to run with the story yesterday. It wasn't run as a result of new plans announced or after any sort of press release by Subway. They've not changed their plans, or decided to create more halal outlets. As far as I can tell, it's business as usual at Subway, not "a move the company hopes will avoid offending muslim customers".

So, the "185 subway outlets in britain no longer come with ham or bacon" line is a fallacy, as most (all?) have been halal for some time. Most since they opened - and the policy has been running since 2007, so some of them haven't been serving ham or bacon for seven years.

It does rather discriminate against those who fancied a bit of bacon though.

No more than a sweet shop does.

One of my bugbears is that the slaughterman as to be a Muslim, which discriminates against non Muslim slaughterman.

That is a very weak argument though :|

So is there anyone here (who is acually a current user of subway) who will now boycott it and eat elsewhere because of this story?

Presumably they have made a business choice that they will get more business this way, even taking into account the impact of customers who will now choose elsewhere?

Edited by 999tigger

So is there anyone here (who is acually a current user of subway) who will now boycott it and eat elsewhere because of this story?

I am not a Subway user but after all this publicity I might just give it a try and see what all the fuss is about.

I only occasionally have Subway, but might make an exception and go and buy something with bacon in today just for the hell of it.

Presumably they have made a business choice that they will get more business this way, even taking into account the impact of customers who will now choose elsewhere?

Yup, back in 2007. For seven years the boycotters have unwittingly been supporting an organisation which sells halal foods. :hihi:

From out of Acorns .....It seems as though the Ostrich is not the only animal that likes to bury its head in the sand

No more than a sweet shop does.

I think you know that that is a bit weak.