The Fiesta Club Sheffield

I used to laugh at closing time, all the drunks coming out and falling down the escalators that went down to the car parks that never worked!

:hihi::hihi::hihi:I remember one bloke falling down the stairs that led to pond street the cuts were horrific but he was as pished as a trump and was still laughing as they took him away in the ambulance

This should jog a few memories, I was a taxi driver back then and Bob Bacon was the catering manager, we were good mates, he got me some excellent fares. he used to get me free tickets to see who I wanted. I went to see Glen Campbell and he was awesome, introduced a young guy who played a twelve string guitar with no backing and you could have heard a pin drop. I met my ex-wife there( amongst many others!!) and I could go on for hours but lets see what develops, if you ever used DB Luxicars taxis I would have probably been your driver!

If you provided taxis for staff I was probably one of them - so 'thanks' for the safe rides. Lynda

Went to the Fiesta club many times , saw Cliff , Dana , Stan Kenton and his band and of course the great Shawadywaddy a couple of times they were fantastic. And I enjoyed the chicken and scampi in the basket..... Happy Days

---------- Post added 31-07-2013 at 11:43 ----------

I went to the Fiesta many times, Saw Cliff, Dana, Stan Kenton and his band and the great Shawaddywaddy( is that too many Ds), and I enjoyed the compulsory chicken or scampi in the basket,,,, oh hum happy days.

Once went to a firms do, Norman Collier was on first, got booed off, followed by Brothers Lee and that chicken in a basket was nice!

I was a taxi driver when the fiesta club was thriving (abbey taxi's) one o the drivers picked Tommy Cooper up late one night took him to the station put a tip in his hand and said have a drink on me.When he looked how much he had given him he found it was a tea bag

Does anyone have any photos of this?

Just put "photos fiesta sheffield" in google search.

It comes up with loads of photos.

Though I expect you will have given up looking now, as the original post

was from 2010

Edited by bazjea

Does anyone know when construction of the Fiesta nightclub started? I know the opening date and I'm aware that construction of the club commenced sometime after the rest of the same development was open for business.

Photographs of the site before or during construction would be most welcome too.

I seem to remember picking some road cobble sets off sycamore street67/68 ish and

it was under construction along with TopRank about then?

That is about my recollection. The Top Rank was open first and Fiesta sometime after.

I'm trying to correlate the start of the construction of the Fiesta with another event that occurred in June 1968.

Does anyone know when construction of the Fiesta nightclub started? I know the opening date and I'm aware that construction of the club commenced sometime after the rest of the same development was open for business.

Photographs of the site before or during construction would be most welcome too.

It opened in August 1970. Reputedly the largest night club in Europe.

Georgie Fame appeared thre one night nissed as a pewt and they had to close the cutain on him.

He had been drinking in the Mulberry all day with Alex Hurricane Higgins, Mick Lee the landlord threw them out at 10.30 and he was onstage at Midnight off at 5 past.

The opening night of Josephine's (Nov. 1976), Georgie Fame was the star attraction for the evening but after a few 'slurred' songs from the inebriated Georgie, the show was stopped and he was cut off for the night. Seems he made a habit of that sort of thing.

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 19:47 ----------

Free Tickets no one ever paid, people used to take their own drinks no wonder it went down.

Dont forget Ronnie Crookes Sheffields own heavy weight boxer who was the highly respected door man.

Didn't Ronnie Crookes also work the door at the 'Penny Farthing' ?

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 19:56 ----------

I worked for Bob briefly when he took over the managers job at Vicars nightclub ............ eeeeeeeeeeee, them were the days :hihi: :hihi:

*Smiles*

Angi

Did Bob Bacon have something later to do with 'Gossips' on Eyre Street/Furnival Gate and where was 'Vicar's' ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Didn't Ronnie Crookes also work the door at the 'Penny Farthing' ?

Yes he did. Middleweight, not heavyweight as stated.

---------- Post added 08-05-2017 at 23:46 ----------

Did Bob Bacon have something later to do with 'Gossips' on Eyre Street/Furnival Gate and where was 'Vicar's' ?

'Vickers' (Les Vickers) was the Locarno/Tiffanys.

Edited by Jim Hardie