File encryption.

Honestly with encryption stuff, I wouldn't trust open source so much. Just about anyone can edit and look at the code.

I would go for big name software for that sort of thing, such as becrypt and symantec encryption desktop (for example).

I'm not disrespecting truecrypt though, it is a good bit of software, and free at that. It is just.... you need to be wary of it is all.

The Truecrypt source code is currently being audited by a group of security professionals. So far they have checked the boot loader and are now starting on the basic cryptographic functions. They have found some bugs but nothing serious so far. Once the audit is completed I would trust Truecrypt far more than any closed source product.

OpenSSL ?

A software bug. That was fixed very quickly. (Assuming you are referring to heartbleed).

Unlike blackbox software that probably has NSA/MI5 backdoors in it on purpose.

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 00:06 ----------

Honestly with encryption stuff, I wouldn't trust open source so much. Just about anyone can edit and look at the code.

I would go for big name software for that sort of thing, such as becrypt and symantec encryption desktop (for example).

I'm not disrespecting truecrypt though, it is a good bit of software, and free at that. It is just.... you need to be wary of it is all.

I'd say exactly the opposite.

BTW - have a go at editing the code, see if your changes are accepted. :roll:

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 00:07 ----------

Nobody can continue to use the "it's open source, therefore anyone can check it, so it's safer" line after the heartbleed issue though. That entirely relies on people actually wanting to do the checking, and if OpenSSL is anything to go by, a lot less people than we expect with a lot less knowledge than we expect, are actually doing the checking.

It's hardly earth shattering news that some software had a bug. It has no bearing on the claim you say nobody can use anymore.

To be honest i only encrypted my slave drive and password protected it due to the likes of Cryptolocker. I've nothing sensitive to protect, in real terms. I've important files on C: D: and DVD. I've also a system image.

I guess personal PC users have little to fear if they pre-empt a "strike" ?

It's not going to protect you against that, megalithic. It can still encrypt the files again with it's own key.

Drive/file encryption is to protect you against somebody else reading your files if they find your drive, or if you decide to store your information on somebody else's hardware on the internet.

It's not going to protect you against that, megalithic. It can still encrypt the files again with it's own key.

Drive/file encryption is to protect you against somebody else reading your files if they find your drive, or if you decide to store your information on somebody else's hardware on the internet.

Cryptolocker can infect a drive encrypted and password protected by Bitlocker ?

Cryptolocker can infect a drive encrypted and password protected by Bitlocker ?

Yes, if/when you unlock it on an infected PC. No drive or file encryption will save you from cryptolocker or other malware, it's not intended to.

Edited by anywebsite

Yes, if/when you unlock it on an infected PC. No drive or file encryption will save you from cryptolocker or other malware, it's not intended to.

Ah, as i thought then. I access my files from the C: drive, D: is back up, so i rarely input the password, maybe one a month if that, and CL would have reared it's head by then i guess.

The last thing i'd be doing is trying to access that drive if i knew my C: drive was compromised. I can see how some people would though, to check if all is lost. :help:

Cryptolocker doesn't announce it's presence until after it's encrypted your files.