Window 95 warning message?

Hi this is quite a random question on here it's about windows 95 and i'm not sure about the question myself..

I can barely remember it tbh I was only young and could barley use a computer in 95 but I think I can remember a warning message on there that said something about it saying ''llegal operation'' or something like that I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am on about and what it meant back then lol?

Edited by JackK0

I remember an illegal operation error, nothing criminal more just a buggy program or memory. I'm sure someone technical will give the full reason but it wasnt the user doing something dodgy or illegal.

Ah right okay it seems really funny to think I was a bit worried when it came up I thought I had done something wrong :D

You still occaisionally see Illegal Operation errors.

They're always the result of a program trying to do something that it shouldn't, be that caused by a bug, corruption or bad data, and being caught by the computer. The main cause in my experience was trying to access memory that it shouldn't.

One of the 'advantages' of the flood of malware affecting Windows is there is a lot more effort put into software these days to prevent these issues, just in case they end up becoming a way of inserting viruses into the memory of the computer.

Ah right okay it seems really funny to think I was a bit worried when it came up I thought I had done something wrong :D

Yes something has been worrying you for so many years :hihi:

Very common on win 98 too, I've got a win 95 set up still. Retro computing at its best, got it running on an AMD Duron 1300 with 128MB ram which is a hell of a lot for 95, had to download an AMD processor update from M$ for it to recognise the CPU but all good. Office 95 and some old Retro games, its the future ;) still got about 6 genuine copies of win 95a and b kicking about somewhere too :)

An illegal operation was basically the OS catching an error in an application and giving you the chance to actually see the type of error (such as a general protection fault) and any detail before terminating the application.

This sort of stuff still goes on, but it's not as common as applications tend to be more robust these days and a lot of errors are logged in places such as the Application log in Admin Tools and the application killed gracefully, rather than splashed about the screen in scary dialogs.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"

I worked in a college near to a Police station; that message often put the fear of God into the students :hihi:

Hi this is quite a random question on here it's about windows 95 and i'm not sure about the question myself..

I can barely remember it tbh I was only young and could barley use a computer in 95 but I think I can remember a warning message on there that said something about it saying ''llegal operation'' or something like that I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am on about and what it meant back then lol?

Oh man that takes me back a bit. Seemed to be the standard error message for most things that went wrong. About as helpful as modern error messages, that still do not tell you anything useful.

Oh man that takes me back a bit. Seemed to be the standard error message for most things that went wrong. About as helpful as modern error messages, that still do not tell you anything useful.

They did actually use to be quite helpful, provided you understood them. Today's "something bad happened 0x5318008" messages are far less useful.

I prefer "SYNTAX ERROR"