What are your favourite board games? (proper ones I mean)

And by proper ones, I don't mean stuff like scrabble!

There are some great games out there, most people are just aware of what they see in argos etc, but if you like gathering around with friends and family, there are some really great ones.

Here are some of the more easy ones:

Ticket to ride (various boards available for this, standard edition is USA)

Carcassonne

Pandemic

Catan

small worlds

(pretty much anything by days of wonder, really)

More complicated ones such as:

mansions of madness

arkham horror

Many many more out there. So what are your favorites?

Pandemic definitely gets my vote. Me and my friends have had loads of fun with it. You're right about there being some great games around at the moment, if you're new to modern board games check this out

I remember some intense games of Axis and Allies with my brother. We also played some sort of space colonial marine board game but I can't remember the name of it.

Space Crusade?

Edited by harken77

Space Crusade?

Space Hulk maybe, Space Crusade probably. I've looked at the wiki page and the artwork does look familiar.

Does Risk count? When I was at Uni I had some amazing games that would last throughout the night. For some reason I used to play it with international students more.

Check out Risk Legacy - its a campaign where you play a series Risk of games but the rules and scenarios change over time making it unique. It has sealed envelopes and compartments you open when you've played a set number of games.

At the moment. my group's gone retro with Talisman and Kings and Things. Started playing Carcassonne, Munchkins and the card game Flux. Usually we role play but if we're missing a player, rather than cancel we now get the board games out.

---------- Post added 07-05-2014 at 21:59 ----------

Check out Risk Legacy - its a campaign where you play a series Risk of games but the rules and scenarios change over time making it unique. It has sealed envelopes and compartments you open when you've played a set number of games.

Wil Wheaton mentioned this on his Tabletop Games vidcast. sounded interesting but a long term endeavour.

Talisman for sure , Green Things from Outer Space was a good after pub one too :-)

Diplomacy

Britannia

Twilight Struggle

Kings and Things

Glass Road

Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride (Europe)

But my current fave is Agricola. Saving up for Caverna!

My favourites at present are:-

Alhambra (got the 'Big Box' edition, so enjoying trying out combinations of rules variations)

Catan

Castle Panic & Dead Panic

Munchkin

Ticket to Ride (mainly play Europe edition, but partial to any of the maps and rules variations)

Smash Up

Forbidden Desert (much prefer it over Island)

Arkham Horror

Betrayal at the House on the Hill