Roach with blackspot

I fished newbiggin today for the first time in ages and had a decent day with a mixed bag of ide, skimmers, crucians and roach. However, a lot of the roach had blackspot. I mentioned it to an angler a couple of pegs away and he said the roach always get it in cooler weather and it disappears when it warms up. I fish other waters in the area and they don't have it so why only newbiggin? I must admit the roach were feeding well and didn't seem distressed.

Whether necessary or not, I've disinfected my landing net as a precaution for my next outing.

I remember a few years ago nearly every roach I caught on the Rotherham canal had a few black spots. I presume because the parasite spends it's first few weeks in water snails an increase in water snails may provide a larger chance of black spot. Agree, it doesn't seem to bother the fish though.

The Roach in the Fortyfoot had black spots in the 90s the chap in the tackle shop in Boston told me it was a parasite so you're right chidorii.

Black spot is rife in my local lake at the end of the street. it is a parasitic worm that lives in the fishes gut and from what i can make out it doesn't seem to bother the fish as i have caught many to specimen size (2 1/2lb mark). it is quite unsightly and it only seems to be affecting the roach. the bream and perch are clean but i obviously haven't caught them all so that isn't to say it doesn't. i always dip my net and tackle b4 i fish anywhere else just to be on the safe side but this is the only place ive seen the spot in a good while. i remember hillsborough park pond had an out break back in the late 80's and it didnt seem to harm them either.