Piriton for dogs?

Hi, my 1yr old dog has been scratching his 'bits' for a few weeks & the area was looking a bit red, like a rash. we took him to the vets & she said it's not fleas (he's up to date with his advocate). She said it could be an allergic reaction to something. He's always either scratching or dragging his bits along the carpet. She gave us some fuciderm gel to put on him, but also told us to give him piriton as it could be an allegic reaction to something? My husband went to buy piriton but when he looked at the lable it says not for children under 6, so he's worried about giving it to our dog. He's a jackRussel/Pug x King Charles Cavalier. About 11 kg weight. The gel doesn't seem to be helping.

I gave my dog piriton under advice of our vet. He had very bad hayfever and it did seem to work well, it was the only way we could walk him during high pollen days.

Maybe ring the vets for advice if you are unsure on dosage.

I'd give him half the tablet...that's what I have my chihuahua when she had an ear infection... My Dalmatian has a whole tablet when he's itchy.

Did the vet check the dog's anal glands? If not, it might be worth taking him back for this or take him to your local groomer. The dose of Piriton that I have given is half a tablet (2mg) two or three times per day. I seem to recall that my vet said they can have a whole tablet but I've always used half.

BTW don't buy Piriton - ask for the cheapest Chlopheniramine 4mg. I usually get Pollenase. If you tell them it is for the dog they probably won't sell it to you.

Edited by ccit

Thanks for the replies. No, I don't think the vet checked his anal glands. My husband said the vet seemed quite 'abrupt' almost like he was wasting her time, that's why he didn't question the piriton advice at the time or ask for dosage. I will try Pollenase, thank you. We were just worried about poisoning him!

You can get piriton for children, it's a liquid so you should be able to put it on food etc. Hope he's sorted out soon :)

Take him for a check on the anal glands - it sounds as if this could be the problem. My old rescue pulled a chunk of hair out of her thigh when she was irritated by hers. I have to have them emptied about every 6 weeks.

I was at the vet only last week because my dog had what turned out to be an allergic reaction very much like hayfever and the vet worked out the safe dosage of Pirition for my dogs weight. They told me it is an extremely safe medication to use for dogs, obviously as long as you're sensible.

My dog weighs 30kg and was told I could safely give her two tablets three times a day. I hope this helps you work out a dosage for yours.

I decided just to give my dog one morning and night to see how it went rather than filling get with tablets, and with 24 hours her reaction has gone away and she was much happier.

Obviously if it is the anal glands as suggested on here then the pirition will be useless regardless of dosage. Hope you get this sorted soon.

has your dog been to see a groomer?

as suggested sounds like anal glands they do need checking regular

piriton or shops own half tablet will be fine for a little dog hope you get sorted:)