White lane co-op ripoff!

Thank you, Mr Bloom. Finally, some sense on the thread.

I do not feel they have a conspiracy against me. I DO check my receipts which is why I am constantly having to wait around to have them checked again or taking the cashier to the aisle with the promotion to prove i'm not wrong. Even when I AM checking the items being scanned and I DO point out that it's wrong, I then have to go and show the cashier where the offer is located, meaning everyone else in the queue has to wait even longer, making me feel like i'm out of order when all i'm doing is wanting to buy products as the price on show. This has nothing to do with me having common sense and everything to do with the fact that the co-op consistently over-charges. I'm sure they make vast amounts of money this way as not everyone does check.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 14:24 ----------

I am talking only of when they clearly overcharge. Another thing that annoys me about them is how they try to be sneaky to rip people off. For example, recently they had a big bin of tuna 4 packs. BOGOF. I bought 2 and sure enough was charged twice. When I pointed this out they said the offer was only on brine and I had a brine and a sunflower oil. I got them both out of the same bin. Technically, they had not broken any law as in VERY SMALL letters it did say brine only. But why mix up the sunflower ones then? Cos they want to rip people off that's why!

:hihi: You are so right.

Watch out for other rip offs there too that we've come across.....

1. My partner went to get a laundry product that was on offer and was advertised on a big bill board outside the store - she picked the item up off the shelf and when she paid at the checkout she pointed out that she had not received the offer price. She was told it was the wrong size. She said oh, I thought that was the size on offer, the cashier said 'I promise you love that it is not and the reason I know is that we don't stock the size that is on the offer!' :hihi: Priceless!! :hihi:

2. Watch out for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!! - They had Sharwoods stuff on BOGOF recently. We bought two of each of loads of stuff and then realised we'd paid a lot more than half price when we came to look at the receipt. We didn't understand. The cashier explained to us that the till works out the most expensive items in the offer and then you have to pay for all of them first and then you get the cheapest items from the range as your buy one get one free offer! -- Not exactly fair then is it? So we asked for refund for it all and then took each pair of items through the tills as separate purchases.

we don't eat ready meals and get all our fruit and veg from the market if we can get into town (work and live in gleadless and don't drive). we try to buy everything from markets or continental stores for herbs and spices in bulk. supermarkets are our one off purchase type things. co-op i use cos i pass at a certain time when their salad/veg/fruit stuff is being sold off. yet out of all the supermarkets, i never have a problem with anywhere except the co-op which unfortunately is my most convenient. we walked to town recently and was in an unfamiliar area and went in to buy 2 drinks. saw some orange juice on offer so bought that. didn't scan as being on offer so AGAIN had to show cashier the sign. i said to her "are we in a co-op" as i was just in 'a supermarket'. didn't surprise me to discover that we were.

i have seen in the past that some of the mistakes in co-op is they do not always put the reduced price barcode over the original one and hence the wrong more expensive one can be scanned.

They don't have to change the barcode for a reduced price offer! They just change the price that the barcode corresponds to!

Or were you talking about the yellow sticker reduced price offers due to stuff running out of date?

Sainsbury's isn't really an alternative as it's small and expensive.

But it's better run and doesn't get basic things like pricing wrong so often as the co-op; and the staff don't have that co-op unfriendliness either.

I hate that co-op. The staff are shocking and there is always a que a mile long to get served. One on the till while the rest are stood about chatting..

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

2. Watch out for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!! - They had Sharwoods stuff on BOGOF recently. We bought two of each of loads of stuff and then realised we'd paid a lot more than half price when we came to look at the receipt. We didn't understand. The cashier explained to us that the till works out the most expensive items in the offer and then you have to pay for all of them first and then you get the cheapest items from the range as your buy one get one free offer! -- Not exactly fair then is it? So we asked for refund for it all and then took each pair of items through the tills as separate purchases.

That is a standard practice in EVERY supermarket and store that has an offer like that on over a range of products - cheapest free. Boots do it, as an example. Nowhere does it say "half price".

Edited by No User Name

Had same happen at Firth Park - bottle of wine 6.99 down to 4.99. Had been in a rush and didn't check till home. I'd been overcharged.

Wondered if I'd got muddled so checked when next in store and yes, the wine I bought was the one on offer and it was still scanning at 6.99.

Showed receipt to cashier, palaver of manager called, queue building up behind etc. Manager arrives, mumbles whatever and disappears for however long....

Manager returns insisting that they change their offers every Tuesday, casting doubt on the veracity of what I say, as the receipt is from almost two weeks previous. (That doesn't explain why the item is still scanning wrong!) I stood my ground and he comes out with the "On this occasion in the interest of customer goodwill" line so I got my four quid back (I'd bought 2 bottles). But what a runaround!!

That is a standard practice in EVERY supermarket and store that has an offer like that on over a range of products - cheapest free. Boots do it, as an example. Nowhere does it say "half price".

Completely agree No User

If Mr Bloom actually read the offer label, then they always say lowest priced item free where there are different priced items. It makes common sense they do this otherwise you would claim you would buy the cheapeast item say £1 and claim the £5 item was free.

Thats been happening for at least 30 years and is the standard offer run by ALL shops and supermarkets including M&S, WH Smith, Waitrose etc.

We only use the Co-op as a very last resort. They are overpriced, run down and alot (certainly not all) the staff treat you as if you are an inconenience. They need a damned good shake up. We always check our bill before we leave any shop.

Bhuna, you live at Intake yet you claim you can only shop at the Coop at White Lane. Apart from Sainbury's on the end of White Lane, you also have a Asda and Tesco a stones throw from Intake. Why not use them, if you feel you are getting ripped off?

Completely agree No User

If Mr Bloom actually read the offer label, then they always say lowest priced item free where there are different priced items. It makes common sense they do this otherwise you would claim you would buy the cheapeast item say £1 and claim the £5 item was free.

Thats been happening for at least 30 years and is the standard offer run by ALL shops and supermarkets including M&S, WH Smith, Waitrose etc.

Of course it's the cheapest of any two items free BUT if you buy 8 items where you are buying four different items twice, then in fairness, if it is advertised as buy one get one free, and you are buying two of the same value, it should take one off, and not the four lowest priced items. It's sharp practise, in my opinion.

You make it sound as though they have some sort of conspiracy against you. If its impossible to use someone else then just make the staff aware before the items go through and watch on the screen what you are being charged. I have had issues where sometimes it charges the wrong amount, but becayse you can be aware of what items are reduced, then you can look on the screen as it charges and you can check your bill before you leave. Somehow you seem to have a big problem in applying any common sense to the issue.

As for not getting a receipt or a carrier bag, then have never had that problem at all at the 2 main branches in town.

Not a conspiracy, but it could be a deliberate policy to defraud customers by advertising offers on items and shelves and then not applying them.

I bet they don't undercharge in the same way very often.