White lane co-op ripoff!

I would have liked to have asked him how shops managed to do it years ago and why in this day and age he couldn't keep track, especially considering all the IT equipment available. Basically it's a con and he knew it

Does anyone remember when Aldi first opened, the cashiers had to know all the prices as they didn't use barcodes. Not sure how they managed that!

As I said earlier, this seems to be a widespread problem with the Co-op. I've had the same problem in my local Co-op which is 200 miles away from White Lane and the same problem has been reported on this very forum before at other branches of the Co-op.

I am sure a fine organisation like the Co-op would not set out to deliberately mislead customers, but they must have problems with their IT systems. It is hard to believe that the level of over charging being reported is simply due to the odd member of staff making an error.

I take my custom elsewhere now - I'm lucky that I am able to. But that's the only way the managers will learn. Customers need to shop elsewhere and tell the Co-op why they have decided to stop using their stores. It's a shame as the Co-op own brands tend be be very good quality but their general pricing policy plus the mistakes means I can no longer afford to shop there. :(

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 17:25 ----------

My mental maths is perfectly fine, thank you very much. I was responding to someone else who suggested using a phone.

It was me who suggested using your phone. It wasn't meant as an insult to your mental arithmetic skills - if you were buying a lot of items or if you weren't so good at adding up, it could be useful. I like to know roughly how much my shopping is going to cost so that if they do try to overcharge me, I can point this out before I pay. This saves me having to waste time getting a refund.

The co op on white lane is just a rip off anyway, way overpriced. So is the small sainsburys up the road. There really needs to be a cheaper alternative around white lane.

Edited by Krouch

No problem Andy, I wasn't suggesting you were meaning to insult me, it was a response to one of the trolls who said i must be stupid if i needed to use a phone to add my bill. Yesterday, I did buy quite a lot as I only just come back from berlin, more than i've ever bought before at co-op so it did take me longer to realise that, once again, they had ripped me off.

Yesterday, I did buy quite a lot as I only just come back from berlin, more than i've ever bought before at co-op

I would try to buy quite a lot at the Co-op but I do not have enough equity in my home to cover the re-mortgage that would be required. :hihi:

Surprised someone finds the sainsburys expensive! And if your good at maths like you say why not add it up in ur head ad you go around and say about it before you pay, or watch what price things are scanned at. Quite clearly you like drama other something that is within your gift to sort there and then without issue. Id also question your ability to read a point of sale correctly. You will find the product details of a offer on it!

Both the Lees Hall co-op and the one at the petrol station on Chesterfield rd. both do the same regards charging more than stated prices, we now simply add up as we walk around shopping then point the difference out at the till and make them put the correct prices in.

i have seen in the past that some of the mistakes in co-op is they do not always put the reduced price barcode over the original one and hence the wrong more expensive one can be scanned.

as i stated before i have been duped a few times by castle market co-op amd alos firth park one once or twice.

what i tend to do now is put the reduced items/ offers to one side of my basket and put them through at the end together and make a point of looking at the till screen when it scans to make sure its say 74p not £2.30 etc, not ideal but after you have been done a few times then you learn that it's the easiest way of a naff situation.

never really had any issues with this sort of thing at any other place really.

once got charged extra for a bottle of wine that was on offer and like was stated even then you have to go show them their error and you look like a moaning primadona in front of a queue. not good.

It's not rocket science. Is it?

As they scan the item, the price is shown on the Customer Display.

Aren't grapes priced 'per kilo'?

Shouldn't you be leaving the shopping to your carer?

Well, that's a bit harsh cgksheff....

People have busy lives, kids to collect, places to go or just feeling too knackered to check every item on the bill after a hard day's work. Co-op at Crookes are also fond of offers that aren't on at the till. To be fair, when I pointed this out, they discounted the item. But it can't be a coincidence can it?

I stopped using Co-op stores years ago when i got fed up of waiting ages in a queue, empty shelves & wrong prices. I used to live within 30 secs walk of Crookes Co-op, but after about a year of rubbish service resorted to getting in the car & driving to Tesco or Sainsburies.

I do most of my shopping at Tesco on Abbeydale Rd as its my nearest shop. I can't remember ever having been overcharged. I check my receipt before i leave though.

Never really bothered with Sainsburies, i think they're more expensive.

I rarely shop at the co-op because of poor service. Whenever I go in there are always queues at the tills. Not sure if I have been overcharged but I shall check next time I have to shop there, although when I do shop at the co-op it is usually for just one or two things.

I must say though that around S12 there seems to be a monopoly, there is a co-op on Birley Moor Rd, two if you count the Petrol Station which used to be BP. There is another co-op at the bottom of Mansfield Rd, a co-op at Base green and the one on White Lane. All as bad as each other.

I must say though that around S12 there seems to be a monopoly, there is a co-op on Birley Moor Rd, two if you count the Petrol Station which used to be BP. There is another co-op at the bottom of Mansfield Rd, a co-op at Base green and the one on White Lane. All as bad as each other.

It is the same where my mum and dad live in S26 - two Co-ops in Aston opposite each other (one is a petrol station) and one in Swallownest. Surprise surprise, the Co-op were one of the biggest objectors when Tesco wanted to build a store in Swallownest a few years ago.

I think generally its a bit overpriced hence for the most part I shop elsehwere. They do have some nice food though. I only use the main ones in Town now and dont really have any complaints on service. They do seem to employ a lot of older staff when compared to other supermarkets.