Makaton Course Wanted

The Sheffield Parent Carer Forum offers free training for parents of children with disabilities and special educational needs. We're planning to run a series of workshops on speech and language therapy in in June and July, this will include an introduction to Makaton, as well as workshops on PECS, technology-aided communication, language strategies, cued articulation, and visual supports. All sessions will be run by speech and language therapists and we hope to bring along lots of photocopies, books and DVDs, either for parents to keep or on loan.

The Makaton workshop will probably take place on Friday 11th of July, 10-12.

If you'd like us to send you more information once the dates have been confirmed, please register your interest by emailing [email protected].

Sorry but thats priceless! Just the 'thunk yooo' bit :hihi: Gosh I hate Mr Tumble!

I hate Mr Tumble but that is after seeing it for about 19 time on the trot.

My 18 month old son loves it and has even started doing some of the signs when he is watching it I did baby signing with my daughter and I am sad to say we did it for a while but not all the time so it didn't stick however she is now 4 and they do it at nursery and I think she knows more than she lets on. She won't admit to watching Mr Tumble but does the signs before he does sometimes.

Your local Children's Centre may be able to help?

thankyou all its ok,my childs nursery is getting me on a course for me to do,

To what I remember they offered both, Makaton is the original English sign language, BSL is the latest addition.

I've only been once to the SCDC since they moved from surrey street so I don't know what services they offer any more.

My mothers generation were taught Makaton during their stay at Doncaster school for the deaf, BSL is more my generations language, and I heard they've changed it again.

I think you're thinking of something else, Digsy. Makaton was developed in the 70s and has never been intended to be used by the deaf community.

Have you tried Googling....to see if there are classes in your area.

Failing that have a look on YouTube.....you would be surprised at what there is on all sort of strange subject. :D

Yep...just checked....loads of vids on YouTube.

Learn some of the signs and then see if you can find others to "chat" with.

Are you learning for someone with a disability or for a young child who doesn't yet talk??

I learned many years ago as my son is profoundly deaf with added learning disabilities....he now signs BSL at full pelt and I find it hard keeping up :hihi:

iv just recently become a childminder and think it will be real usefull for the children to use this in my settings.

Yep...just checked....loads of vids on YouTube.

Learn some of the signs and then see if you can find others to "chat" with.

Are you learning for someone with a disability or for a young child who doesn't yet talk??

I learned many years ago as my son is profoundly deaf with added learning disabilities....he now signs BSL at full pelt and I find it hard keeping up :hihi:

Hi makaton training is available to any one

through the early years inclusion team in Sheffield

If you look on the Sheffield council website you will

Find a link to them through special educational

Needs or education. Hope this helps the telephone

Number for the inclusion team is Sheffield 0114 2398336

Anyone there will advise you on where you can

Do an makaton course.

thankyou will check this out x

Hi makaton training is available to any one

through the early years inclusion team in Sheffield

If you look on the Sheffield council website you will

Find a link to them through special educational

Needs or education. Hope this helps the telephone

Number for the inclusion team is Sheffield 0114 2398336

Anyone there will advise you on where you can

Do an makaton course.

Hi there,

I don't teach Makaton but I do teach Signalong. You could do a 10 week course with me and receive a Signalong Foundation certificate. It's a very similar signing system to Makaton and is used in the same way. I am currently teaching a course at Longley 4G Community Centre. If you would like to pop along and see what the course is about that would be great. It's on Wednesdays from 7-9pm. Just telephone the centre to let me know if you want to come. Their number is 01142332984.

Charlotte