Speed limit on Penistone Road

I think the big problem with a lot of roundabouts is that the roads entering the roundabout are swept in, to allow the cars to enter without needing to slow down. As a result, the drivers cannot see onto the roundabout as they enter it, unless they look back over their shoulder. This is particularly hazardous for cyclists already on the roundabout.

Drivers are required to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout, but the design of the roundabout makes it easy to drive onto it quickly, but hard to check if there is anyone approaching already on the roundabout.

Entry onto many roundabouts should be at 90 degrees to the roundabout, and not swept in.

Re the end of the dual carriageway on Halifax Rd - I regularly see drivers who feel the need to overtake as many as possible before the road narrows. So, just as the speed limit drops to 30, they are actually accelerating well above 40 to complete their overtake.

The angle of approach is rarely altered more than 30 degrees.

Don't know about you, but my eyes and my head move comfortably to allow me to see out of the car at that angle to check the roundabout approach.

Is it worth spending thousands of pounds of taxpayers money to change

the speed limit from 30mph to 40mph. For a total time saving of about

90 seconds. Especially for much of the time you have a job to average

little more than 20mph.

Edited by bazjea

Nothing is hidden at all, never mind there being a policy to do so. It's very plain to understand what the limit is. Heck, theres even a bunch of cameras to concentrate your mind! ;)

It is fairly basic driving knowledge that in the absence of any signs on an urban road, the speed limit is 30. In the case of Penistone Road, I think there'd be a strong case for making it 40 unless it's do with the amount of junctions and lights all the way up there. But however much I *think* it should be 40, that doesn't make it so, so I drive at 30. It's quite simple. I too can't understand people who say they "can't" or they "find it hard" to drive at 30. If you have so little control over your own actions, do you really think you should be driving?

No Offence to Neeeeeek, but it's not the speed limit that makes them loads of cash, it's the fools who don't abide by them.

I've seen a few threads now with people whining that they cannot stick to certain speed limits, i'd say that if you cannot control your car so your driving within the law, you shouldn't be on the road.

I'm not saying I agree with the limit that is in force, I'm saying that you either abide by it, or get done...but stop trying to blame it on something/someone else.

Your the only person that decides wether they make money out of you or not.

I agree with the above.....perhaps people that disagree with the 30mph limit should suggest what speed limit they would prefer 40? 50? 60 or 70 mph even, how fast would you like to drive ?

Cheers

I agree with the above.....perhaps people that disagree with the 30mph limit should suggest what speed limit they would prefer 40? 50? 60 or 70 mph even, how fast would you like to drive ?

Cheers

Certain stretches of the A61 Penistone Road could handle a 40 mph limit. It changes to 40 at the foot of Netherthorpe Road.

There is no need to increase it above 40 mph.

My biggest chagrin is toward traffic lights which seem to remain on red (to the motorist leaving the side street, ie, Old Penistone Road) when there is no traffic coming along the A61.

My biggest chagrin is toward traffic lights which seem to remain on red (to the motorist leaving the side street, ie, Old Penistone Road) when there is no traffic coming along the A61.

And it's equally irritating when you're coming along Penistone Road and have to stop at lights so that some completely non-existent traffic can come out of one of the side roads. I would say that half of these side roads just don't need lights in the first place.

The lights at Hillfoot bridge operate this way, metalman.

A queue forms on Penistone Road whilst we wait for non-existant or long departed traffic. We then wait longer for non-existant pedestrians and cyclists.

Your point about the actual need for lights I agree with too. Old Penistone Road joins the carriageway prior to Hillfoot Bridge (city bound). There are lights here that are simply not needed. A Give Way would do as

a, there is no pedestrian crossing associated with these lights; &

b, you can only turn left to join city bound traffic. Thus, no danger in trying to turn right across the carriageway. (True, you CAN turn into Old Penistone Road which would require a right hand turn across the carriageway. This could be avoided by closing that section and sending the motorist up to the next set of lights which are pedestrian friendly and IMO, there of necessity being a busy junction.)

Personally, I think our council has a strange perversion regarding traffic lights. The more they have the more they want.

The lights at Hillfoot bridge operate this way, metalman.

A queue forms on Penistone Road whilst we wait for non-existant or long departed traffic. We then wait longer for non-existant pedestrians and cyclists.

Your point about the actual need for lights I agree with too. Old Penistone Road joins the carriageway prior to Hillfoot Bridge (city bound). There are lights here that are simply not needed. A Give Way would do as

a, there is no pedestrian crossing associated with these lights; &

b, you can only turn left to join city bound traffic. Thus, no danger in trying to turn right across the carriageway. (True, you CAN turn into Old Penistone Road which would require a right hand turn across the carriageway. This could be avoided by closing that section and sending the motorist up to the next set of lights which are pedestrian friendly and IMO, there of necessity being a busy junction.)

Personally, I think our council has a strange perversion regarding traffic lights. The more they have the more they want.

I have noticed that a lot of motorists coming from town, turn Right at the traffic lights just past Hillfoot Bridge onto Old Penistone Rd, then take the next left to the lights to get back onto Penistone Rd. They do this to try to jump the queue on Penistone Rd. This obviously causes more hold ups of traffic waiting to go out of town

The angle of approach is rarely altered more than 30 degrees.

Don't know about you, but my eyes and my head move comfortably to allow me to see out of the car at that angle to check the roundabout approach.

...but that change can have a positive effect.

Something else you may not know.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/165240/244921/244924/TAL_9-97

I've scanned part of that, but I can't see the bit where it says reducing visibility on the approach makes it safer for cyclists?

As a cyclist, I'd rather be able to see the approaching traffic to judge if there's one that hasn't seen me and isn't going to stop.

I've scanned part of that, but I can't see the bit where it says reducing visibility on the approach makes it safer for cyclists?

As a cyclist, I'd rather be able to see the approaching traffic to judge if there's one that hasn't seen me and isn't going to stop.

I'd been commenting on the approach angle. I agree that visibility should not be compromised.

Speed limit on Penistone Road is 60mph.

Its a dual carrage way (not like the A1) so the limits not 70mph.

Its not a single carrageway rd...........theres your answer

60mph :thumbsup: