Speed limit on Penistone Road

18 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Just got the notice of intended prosecution for this camera for doing 36mph .

YesI know it’s my own daft fault etc,etc. But just getting it off my chest.

Several years ago I did have a discussion with the relevant authorities as to why this should not be a 40 mph dual carriageway and they agreed that this would be more suitable and may be altered in the future.

However at that time the reason given for it remaining at 30 for the immediate future was the cost of new signage.

I don’t suppose cost of lost revenue comes into it!

18 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Several YEARS ago..! So you already knew about it, yet you STILL were caught speeding in that zone.!

Fair enough to get it off your chest. But stupidity cant be forgiven that easily.!

Revenue is 'Paramount' to the strategic placing of speed camera's.

43 minutes ago, FinBak said:

You just can’t help it can you.

Thanks for your sage words and happy to provide an outlet for wisdom.

Just now, RJRB said:

You just can’t help it can you.

Thanks for your sage words and happy to provide an outlet for wisdom.

Don't be like that.!  You were Stupid. Live with that and move on.;)

I acknowledged that and moved on at apparently 36 mph.

Are you Kenneth  Williams by any chance?

Just now, RJRB said:

I acknowledged that and moved on at apparently 36 mph.

Are you Kenneth  Williams by any chance?

No i'm not Kenneth Williams.!

By saying 'Apparently' ...Do you mean to say that the evidence against you is only an 'Indication' to the speed with which you were travelling at? Or do they have Photographic Evidence?

I suppose it is totally accurate for the millisecond in which it is registered.

By using apparently I was meaning that it has come to my notice,and having re read my post it still seems a reasonable way of phrasing my thoughts.

I am sure they have photographic evidence and have notified me within the prescribed time.Also that there is no evidence of incorrect signage so I won’t be contacting that celebrity lawyer who Beckham uses.

So my Mea Culpa is in the post,and if you wish to participate in my crowd funding efforts to raise £100,just p.m me you bank details.🤗

12 hours ago, RJRB said:

Just got the notice of intended prosecution for this camera for doing 36mph .

YesI know it’s my own daft fault etc,etc. But just getting it off my chest.

Several years ago I did have a discussion with the relevant authorities as to why this should not be a 40 mph dual carriageway and they agreed that this would be more suitable and may be altered in the future.

However at that time the reason given for it remaining at 30 for the immediate future was the cost of new signage.

The council don't get any income from a camera, so "lost revenue" isn't the problem.

The cost of changing the speed limit and more importantly the fact that it might actually benefit motorists, those are the problem.

And in reality there are more and more units of accommodation being built around there, Kelham island gets ever more popular and it is more common these days to see pedestrians around and crossing that road.

17 hours ago, RJRB said:

No, it doesn't. Councils never ever take decisions like that on the basis of revenue generation. I have worked in local government highways departments long enough to know this is the case.

17 hours ago, RJRB said:

It isn't just signage. For example each and every set of traffic signals and pedestrian crossing would need to have additional vehicle speed detection equipment fitted and configured.  That doesn't come cheap.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

No, it doesn't. Councils never ever take decisions like that on the basis of revenue generation. I have worked in local government highways departments long enough to know this is the case.

It isn't just signage. For example each and every set of traffic signals and pedestrian crossing would need to have additional vehicle speed detection equipment fitted and configured.  That doesn't come cheap.

Thanks for the information Planner 1.

Any update on the technical issues regarding public  access to the traffic cameras around Sheffield.?

18 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Can you explain more?  Do traffic lights normally detect vehicle speed and why?

I can see that the timings of the lights would need to be changed, but that's run by a central computer and can be varied easily, so it's not that you're talking about.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Can you explain more?  Do traffic lights normally detect vehicle speed and why?

I can see that the timings of the lights would need to be changed, but that's run by a central computer and can be varied easily, so it's not that you're talking about.

It’s a safety feature. On higher speed roads, traffic signals have additional vehicle detection equipment, set further back from the stop line, which pick up vehicles approaching quickly when the signals are about to change and allow an additional safety clearance time. There are a number of ways of doing it, but they all cost more than the standard setup used on lower speed roads.

18 hours ago, RJRB said:

Any update on the technical issues regarding public  access to the traffic cameras around Sheffield.?

None that I’m aware of. I’ll ask.