Speed limit on Penistone Road

30 mph ................

Good point well made Mick.

Three years this thread has been going - why?

Speaking of the Grenoside camera van again, just analyse why they monitor that stretch. Once you're through the lights at Saltbox Lane, you're confronted with a wide road, very wide verge to the left, and the progressive pull of gravity as the road steepens, so on some cars one might have to drop into third gear and/or pump the brakes to hold 30. In addition, the gear ratio/torque characteristics of modern engines can make it difficult, in some circumstances, to drive smoothly at these speeds. On top of all this a wide, distracting vista of Sheffield opens up; all these factors contributing to a false perception of speed. Gotcha!

Good point well made Mick.

Three years this thread has been going - why?

haha - I wonder how many people who posted on this thread got tickets on penistone road in those 3 years

Speaking of the Grenoside camera van again, just analyse why they monitor that stretch. Once you're through the lights at Saltbox Lane, you're confronted with a wide road, very wide verge to the left, and the progressive pull of gravity as the road steepens, so on some cars one might have to drop into third gear and/or pump the brakes to hold 30. In addition, the gear ratio/torque characteristics of modern engines can make it difficult, in some circumstances, to drive smoothly at these speeds. On top of all this a wide, distracting vista of Sheffield opens up; all these factors contributing to a false perception of speed. Gotcha!

Most times when I've seen this van it has been checking people going up the road, as they enter the 30 mph zone near the end of the dual carriageway.

Its 30mph on any road if there is street lighting, unless it says otherwise.

Penistone Rd is 30mph, the ones overtaking you don't know the highway code :)

No maybe people realise that there is no need at all for Penistone Road to be 30mph!:loopy:

30 mph ................

Except where it's 40...

Pays to read a thread, even if it's 3 years old.

Hi Guys,

Beware on this one. I was working at Sheffield Wednesday last night from 6.30pm until 1am. After getting a phonecall from my girlfriends mum saying my girlfriend had been rushed to hospital i left work at 12. I do know there is a speed camera on that road and that it is 30mph however when driving to the hospital i was very tired (after also working 8am - 4pm earlier that day) and it flashed me i was doing below 35mph!

No you weren't! You will have been doing 35mph+

I've often wondered why the speed limit on this road is 30mph. After all it's a dual carriageway and there's not exactly a lot of pedestrian activity, except perhaps at the crossing where Hillsborough Leisure Centre is.

Does anyone know how speed limits are decided? It certainly seems like a 40mph road - I wonder why it isn't...?

perhaps it should be lower the amount of smashes around the rutland road JCT seem to increase daily!

Thanks for this. It's daft. The road is built to 60mph spec, and the speed limit used to be 40mph. I know that the traffic lights used to be set so you "surfed the green wave" at 38mph.  Wonder what is is now? You trundle along at 30mph by industrial unites, by the side of the 24 hour empty bus lane, then it's 40mph on the single carriageways of Herries Road surrounded by houses. It is, as Retep says, a blatant money making racket. 

No way is that road 60mph spec

35 minutes ago, CallunaV said:

Thanks for this. It's daft. The road is built to 60mph spec, and the speed limit used to be 40mph. I know that the traffic lights used to be set so you "surfed the green wave" at 38mph.  Wonder what is is now? You trundle along at 30mph by industrial unites, by the side of the 24 hour empty bus lane, then it's 40mph on the single carriageways of Herries Road surrounded by houses. It is, as Retep says, a blatant money making racket. 

Herries Road is now 30mph.  Changed a few years ago. 

44 minutes ago, Cream Bun said:

Herries Road is now 30mph.  Changed a few years ago. 

This thread is ten years old you realise?

Edited by geared