Speed limit on Penistone Road

I wish I'd seen and read this thread earlier. I've just been driving along Penistone Rd, heading out of town, was following a police car, at midnight. Thought he was going slowly......

Most police cars I have followed down Penistone Road do 40 MPH anyway..:o

I do doubt that the lights are set to deliberately cause disruption. However I'll ask those responsible when I'm next with them.

So did you, and what was the answer? Personally I can never seem to get all the way along there without getting stopped at a couple of sets of lights no matter what speed I do.

1) To improve safety, improve traffic flow and improve driver information by putting up several small round discs with the number 30 written on them at strategic intervals.

They cannot, legally, do this while there is a system of street lighting where the lamp standards are less than a certain distance apart (it's about 100 yards) - so if you want '30' repeaters you have to lose the lighting - your call , but I don't think it would be a staggeringly good idea.

I haven't had the chance metalman, but Planner1 has given reassurance elsewhere that they work very hard to keep traffic flowing. I recall that he said that he had spent something like 17 years in the very department that controls such things so he obviously knows what he is talking about.

They cannot, legally, do this while there is a system of street lighting where the lamp standards are less than a certain distance apart (it's about 100 yards) - so if you want '30' repeaters you have to lose the lighting - your call , but I don't think it would be a staggeringly good idea.

You are mistaken, it is not my call. Though it appears you are right about the 30mph repeaters by the roadside, it is legal to paint 30mph roundels on the road.

There, a cheap highly visible option which would reduce confusion and hence improve safety, that would be my call. What's the betting it never happens?

You are mistaken, it is not my call. Though it appears you are right about the 30mph repeaters by the roadside, it is legal to paint 30mph roundels on the road.

There, a cheap highly visible option which would reduce confusion and hence improve safety, that would be my call. What's the betting it never happens?

I'm afraid painted roundels aren't allowed either (para 21.5).

It is definately 30 mph between Shalesmoor and Wadsley Bridge, 40 mph between Wadsley Bridge and near to Deerlands Avenue, and 30 mph through Grenoside.

THE SPEED CAMERA JUST BEFORE RUTLAND ROAD (city bound) IS ACTIVE. I saw it flash a car in front of me on Saturday, doing about 35 mph.

The speed camera at Grenoside has been vandalized, unless it has been recently repaired. Someone attacked it with petrol soaked tyres.

The speed limits on the whole A61 Shalesmoor to Grenoside section are another Council nonsense. Some need increasing (Hillfoot Bridge area) and some need decreasing (Wadsley Bridge WMC area). We also need traffic lights at the Law Brothers/Leppings Lane roundabout.

More time is also needed for traffic to turn right into B&Q and Morrisons, as they back up and block Penistone Road city bound.

You cannot make any suggestions to the arrogant sods at traffic control in Sheffield, ''they know best.''

that does not flash it is front facing and uses infra red to take the photo

that does not flash it is front facing and uses infra red to take the photo

It's one of these - single magenta flash.

yet Halifax Road is the only one that doesn't go past a school!!

Halifax Road passes Parson Cross JI, and Chaucer. Both within the 40 "zone"?

So did you, and what was the answer? Personally I can never seem to get all the way along there without getting stopped at a couple of sets of lights no matter what speed I do.

The signals on Penistone Road are co-ordinated as has been suggested earlier in the thread. If you stay below 30mph, you should get a progression in the predominant direction of travel. Remember that the lights can only be co-ordinated in one direction and the effectiveness of the co-ordination diminishes over distance.

The Council do not set signals to deliberately cause disruption. The highway network is actively controlled to reduce delays. There are locations where "gating" is employed and so, you might not get a green and can't see a reason for it, this is to help with wider network operation.

The signals on Penistone Road are co-ordinated as has been suggested earlier in the thread. If you stay below 30mph, you should get a progression in the predominant direction of travel. Remember that the lights can only be co-ordinated in one direction and the effectiveness of the co-ordination diminishes over distance.

Just curious Planner1 but my perception is that the lights are phased differently at night and during the day. Is that correct?