Speed limit on Penistone Road

From memory the lights are timed to give a green wave at around 28mph. Somewhat ironically the reason it takes you longer by getting held up at lights is because you break the speed limit. :)

Your memory has let you down on this occasion, it doesn't matter what speed the traffic is moving at, you'll always get stopped. As for a policy to set the lights to cause disruption, I heard from an informed and relatively trustworthy source that it does happen in Sheffield.

As for my point about having plenty of 40mph signs south of the university roundabout and only the one 30mph sign north of it, why would I intuitively guess that the speed limit had changed in the quarter mile stretch of road that I never use?

Your point about the speed cameras makes no sense; if I believe the speed limit is 40mph, then I would assume the cameras were there to catch people going faster than that.

Clearly I and many others have made the same mistake, hence the thread and the number of people who travel at 40 along this stretch of road. The authorities have a choice:

1) To improve safety, improve traffic flow and improve driver information by putting up several small round discs with the number 30 written on them at strategic intervals.

2) To ignore the above and spend vastly more money on roadside cameras and to smile smugly while counting the cheques that they generate.

Sadly, smugness wins hands down in this case.

I do doubt that the lights are set to deliberately cause disruption. However I'll ask those responsible when I'm next with them. :)

As for the limits, it's still 30 mph by default in urban areas. Anything different is signed. It's not being smug, it's just how it is. There are national regulations on the placing of signs and the like and I'm sure that these have been followed in Sheffield like they are in other places.

Should the Highways Dpt have to spend thousands because some motorists are too stupid to follow the rules that were in place when they passed their driving test? :huh:

Should the Highways Dpt have to spend thousands because some motorists are too stupid to follow the rules that were in place when they passed their driving test? :huh:

They should and they do; wherever there is a need aid clarity or to reinforce the message. Why should Penistone Rd be different?

A significant proportion of all road markings and roadsigns are strictly speaking redundant because they are already covered by the highway code.

As for retaking the test at regular intervals, it's a great idea and the retests should be a lot stiffer than the original test too.

It would cost a small fortune to put 30mph roundels all the way up Penistone Road. Would you mind your council tax going up to pay for other people being thick?

Looking at the content and comments made in this thread it appears a good number of people have either no sense or utter disregard for the law and other road users. It absolutely disgusts me how much people care about only themselves.

Imagine if "Gazza" or "coolwill2k" had hit a child/mother/father at 58mph/NSL speed, while tweeking their stereo or looking forward to the next set of lights, hoping they were "green waved". Would they like if it was their friend or family killed? No. Would they like it if we had driven at 60mph outside their house, on their road or cul-de-sac?

Over 3,508 people were killed in road accidents during 2003, of those 171 were children. Two-thirds those incidents (because there is no such thing as a road accident!) happened where the speed limit was 40mph or less. Exactly the scenario we are talking about here.

Streetlights, urban area. 30mph, unless otherwise stated. Simple as that!

If you like getting points and NIP's...then let SYP and SCC do you, not me!

Best way to sort the numpty drivers out is to put SPECS and red light cameras all the way up to the Wentworth/A616 Stocksbridge Bypass roundabout. Eventually they will get a TT99 and be off the road!

It's definitely 30mph ,i got a ticket to say it is .I was actually clocked doing 34mph.I was really annoyed about it but it was just one of those things.

It would cost a small fortune to put 30mph roundels all the way up Penistone Road. Would you mind your council tax going up to pay for other people being thick?

Looking at the content and comments made in this thread it appears a good number of people have either no sense or utter disregard for the law and other road users. It absolutely disgusts me how much people care about only themselves.

Imagine if "Gazza" or "coolwill2k" had hit a child/mother/father at 58mph/NSL speed, while tweeking their stereo or looking forward to the next set of lights, hoping they were "green waved". Would they like if it was their friend or family killed? No. Would they like it if we had driven at 60mph outside their house, on their road or cul-de-sac?

Over 3,508 people were killed in road accidents during 2003, of those 171 were children. Two-thirds those incidents (because there is no such thing as a road accident!) happened where the speed limit was 40mph or less. Exactly the scenario we are talking about here.

Streetlights, urban area. 30mph, unless otherwise stated. Simple as that!

If you like getting points and NIP's...then let SYP and SCC do you, not me!

Best way to sort the numpty drivers out is to put SPECS and red light cameras all the way up to the Wentworth/A616 Stocksbridge Bypass roundabout. Eventually they will get a TT99 and be off the road!

OMG what is your point, and why are you refering to me driving @ 60mph... when did I say I drove at 60?

I have no problem with speed limits / cameras (in inner city areas) aslong as they are clearly signed, and not just there to make extra cash...

Why not put the speed limit on the camera itself?

PS

I have never been caught speeding by a roadside camera.. because I am capable of working out the speed limit.. if I am not sure I will drive @ 30!

BTW accidents happen at any speed.

I was hit the other day whilst traveling in a 30 zone at 20mph :gag:

SHOULD I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FASTER?

Apologies, I did mis-read your comment Gazza. Thought you mentioned travelling Penistone Road at near NSL. Re-reading it you said "Yes thinking it was a national speed limit is damn right stupid!!!" I must be going :loopy: after some of the comments in this thread.

I could imagine most people coming over Woodhead from Manchester, not forgetting they have probably been stuck behind a HGV most of the way, see a bit of dual carriageway and naturally speed up.

Naturally "accidents" (prefer to call them incidents myself) do happen. But at a lower speed they have less impact on human life, as well as your insurance. When I first started driving, about 5 years ago, I was hit by a lady coming out of a side road at a T-junction, who for some un-known reason didn't give way. If I had been going slower I would have had more time to react and brake. It tought me a lesson.

Here's an idea for Penistone Rd. Why not split the two carriageway? We could have one for car/HGV, and the other for bus/cycle? That way the buses wouldn't hold the cars up.

Charley

Penistone Road will be ok when the new road opens (going into the city)

Out of city Morrisons / Owlerton is a real problem.

I think they should add a filter lane taking traffic directly into Morrisons (thus avoiding the lights) I would take this road directly through McDonalds :hihi:

As for my point about having plenty of 40mph signs south of the university roundabout and only the one 30mph sign north of it, why would I intuitively guess that the speed limit had changed in the quarter mile stretch of road that I never use?

If you never use it what are you whinging about?

The road before the roundabout and the one after are two different roads and should be treated as such.

There's no need to 'intuitively guess' - you either have the option of reading the sign placed there or drive at 30mph. In the highway code it says "if in doubt, do not overtake". The same logic applies to speed limits. If you're having to guess at the speed then you're clearly in doubt, so just drive at the speed limit of 30mph.

It's 30MPH, hubby knows to his cost as he was clocked by a mobile speed camera when he was doing 40 :( three points and a £60 fine.

I wish I'd seen and read this thread earlier. I've just been driving along Penistone Rd, heading out of town, was following a police car, at midnight. Thought he was going slowly, accelerated to 40 and stuck exactly at 40. He drove along the side of me for ages til we got to Gala bingo, then flashed his lights at me and told me to wind down the window.

He wanted to know why I was doing 45 in a 30 zone. I told him I'd been doing exactly 40 as I'd been watching the clock. He told me that it's a 30 zone. I looked surprised and told him I genuinely thought it to be a 40 zone and apologised. He nodded and told me to drive slower and then sped off.

So now I know.

Ooooeuffff.