Speed limit on Penistone Road

1 minute ago, geared said:

This thread is ten years old you realise?

Yep (but you replied before me!)   However  the incorrect quote from Calluna V is only 1 hour old and needed correcting. Don't want peeps thinking Herries Road is a 40mph. 

35 minutes ago, geared said:

This thread is ten years old you realise?

The reply he was quoting is an hour old. 

Anybody who thinks that it would be safe to travel at 60mph on this road should be required to do a speed awareness course.

It would be a good example to use in a Simulator to show how dangerous it would be at these speeds for traffic joining and leaving, for pedestrians and for through traffic would be unable judge and respond to traffic ahead.

29 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Anybody who thinks that it would be safe to travel at 60mph on this road should be required to do a speed awareness course.

It would be a good example to use in a Simulator to show how dangerous it would be at these speeds for traffic joining and leaving, for pedestrians and for through traffic would be unable judge and respond to traffic ahead.

Spot on, it's a busy road all along with traffic joining not just from road junctions but from factories, shops and car showrooms etc. Add in the cycle lanes and lack of pedestrian crossing points in some places and you have a cocktail for carnage if the speed was ever increased.
I can't remember how many accidents I have seen over the years on the stretch from Rutland Road to Herries Road South.

6 hours ago, CallunaV said:

Thanks for this. It's daft. The road is built to 60mph spec, and the speed limit used to be 40mph. I know that the traffic lights used to be set so you "surfed the green wave" at 38mph.  Wonder what is is now? You trundle along at 30mph by industrial unites, by the side of the 24 hour empty bus lane, then it's 40mph on the single carriageways of Herries Road surrounded by houses. It is, as Retep says, a blatant money making racket. 

Dear God - have you even passed your test ? Time to retake it or do a speed awareness course.You clearly don't have a clue 

Edited by Daven

I got caught just before Christmas 36 MPH, signage warning of speed restriction is not very clear.

4 hours ago, Beauchiefs said:

I got caught just before Christmas 36 MPH, signage warning of speed restriction is not very clear.

What signage would you expect to see?

8 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What signage would you expect to see?

There is (or at least was) a “30” sign as part of one of the camera warning signs just before the camera.  I presume that this is allowed as a final warning, as we don’t normally allow 30 repeaters. Although for someone incorrectly doing 40 (or even more), then by the time they see the 30 sign, it is probably too late to slow down safely.

Although any driver should know the speed limit there is 30mph the behaviour of other drivers might lead you to think it's 40, or even 50 as they try and get through the next set of lights.

Just realised how old this thread is!

18 hours ago, Beauchiefs said:

There's no signage telling you that it's a 40 zone, so you should have known that by default it's a 30.

Edited by Cyclone

On 25/01/2019 at 18:20, Beauchiefs said:

No speed limit signs = 30mph in built up areas.

There are actually signs in the run up to the camera that don't actually need to be provided. The camera is also painted bright yellow.  

Just got the notice of intended prosecution for this camera for doing 36mph .

YesI know it’s my own daft fault etc,etc. But just getting it off my chest.

Several years ago I did have a discussion with the relevant authorities as to why this should not be a 40 mph dual carriageway and they agreed that this would be more suitable and may be altered in the future.

However at that time the reason given for it remaining at 30 for the immediate future was the cost of new signage.

I don’t suppose cost of lost revenue comes into it!