Speed limit on Penistone Road

I always thought it was 40mph going up to hillsborough :confused:

I think I went through this camera inadvertently this morning doing just over 30mph I think about 32-33mph is their any percentage allowance on the actual speed that this camera activates and has anybody been caught out by this particular camera.

I meant the one going into town not far from where those roadworks start.

I think I went through this camera inadvertently this morning doing just over 30mph I think about 32-33mph is their any percentage allowance on the actual speed that this camera activates and has anybody been caught out by this particular camera.

You Speedo will be 3mph out before you start, taking you speed to bang on 30 :thumbsup:

However is you were doing 40mph then you will have a nervous 14 days :|

Its utter ridiculousness that the speed limit is 30 on this dual carriageway.

I got done there speading.. at 20:37 on a quiet night in october. I thought it was a 60! i was unfamiliar with the road and i cant remember seeing any clear 30 signs. I got done doing 58mph by the speed camera outside hydra clarkson works, heading into town on penistone road.

The image from the camera shows no other cars around.. how can they make a clear dual carriageway 30mph!!! Its not even like its residential..

The default speed limit is 30mph on ANY urban road unless there is a sign telling you otherwise. 58 in a 30 really is taking the mick. ;) You're lucky not to be up in court facing a ban!

There's only ever 1 person to blame for getting caught on a camera - the driver. There's no excuses. Perhaps if people had to retake a test every 5 years or so it might concentrate the mind?

The default speed limit is 30mph on ANY urban road unless there is a sign telling you otherwise. 58 in a 30 really is taking the mick. ;) You're lucky not to be up in court facing a ban!

There's only ever 1 person to blame for getting caught on a camera - the driver. There's no excuses. Perhaps if people had to retake a test every 5 years or so it might concentrate the mind?

That is utter crap!

Yes thinking it was a national speed limit is damn right stupid!!!

How is making you take your test every 4 years going to make people slow down????

Penistone Road SHOULD be a 40mph zone, im sure all the usual fcukwits will spout some crap about why it needs to be a 40....

Before supertram (way before your time) Penistone road was mainly single carriageway and shared the volume of Hillsborough-City traffic with Langsett Road/Middlewood Road.

Building the supertram along Langsett meant widening the alternative route. The road was made, now shall we raise speed limits accordingly.. Oooo-errr, sorry, I can't put that to the council.

Actually Penistone road was widened independantly of supertram and a few years before, possibly even around 10 years before, I am certain that they didn't widen it because of supertram.

How is making you take your test every 4 years going to make people slow down????.

Because their driving will improve due to more regular lessons, and the need to brush up on the highway code. Most people never look at a highway code or take any interest in new rules and markings from the day after they past their test.

Which is why so many people ask dumb questions about driving on the sheffield forum.

I can't agree with you in this particular instance. There does seem to be a deliberate policy of concealing the speed limit.

There are plenty of 40mph signs to the south of the university roundabout, and as I live in S10, I never travel along the bit where the road goes down the hill and meets Gibralter Road. I only recently became aware that the road changes to 30mph at this point, having always wondered why everyone drove so slowly up towards Hillsborough. I haven't seen a 30mph sign along there, apparently there is one but I've not registered it.

It is a shocking road in many respects with traffic lights timed to cause maximum disruption and life made as awkward as possible for anyone trying to get on/off it.

I can't agree with you in this particular instance. There does seem to be a deliberate policy of concealing the speed limit.
Nothing is hidden at all, never mind there being a policy to do so. It's very plain to understand what the limit is. Heck, theres even a bunch of cameras to concentrate your mind! ;)

There are plenty of 40mph signs to the south of the university roundabout, and as I live in S10,

Did you read what I wrote? That's because

The default speed limit is 30mph on ANY urban road unless there is a sign telling you otherwise.

:)

It is a shocking road in many respects with traffic lights timed to cause maximum disruption and life made as awkward as possible for anyone trying to get on/off it.

From memory the lights are timed to give a green wave at around 28mph. Somewhat ironically the reason it takes you longer by getting held up at lights is because you break the speed limit. :)

Because their driving will improve due to more regular lessons, and the need to brush up on the highway code. Most people never look at a highway code or take any interest in new rules and markings from the day after they past their test.

Which is why so many people ask dumb questions about driving on the Sheffield forum.

So true :hihi:

The limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated. Stick to that until you see a sign stating otherwise and you can't go far wrong. If others don't like it they can overtake you and take their chances.

As for other dual carriageways with 30 mph limits, try Handsworth road, Meadowhead (200m), The ring road at manor top from the top end of Prince of wales road to Ridgeway road.

Compare this to speed limits on Bawtry road, Rotherham (50mph, houses on both sides) and Chesterfield (70 mph from Dronfield to 50mph near Tesco along ring road) and you can see that Sheffield does have lower speed limits per road than most towns. However, in Theory, 30 mph is a mile every 2 minutes and few roads are more than a few miles long, so surely we just have to tolerate it and drive safely.

Comparing the Dronfield Bypass to Penistone Road is hardly an accurate comparison - a more accurate one would be the Parkway (mainly 50 mph & 70 mph as well).

Bawtry Road has much better visibilty and carries less traffic than Penistone Road (the houses are set a fair way back from the road as a rule).

We have 40 mph limits on quite a bit of single carriageway to the best of my knowledge - eg much of Ecclesall Road South, most of the route between city centre and Meadowhall.