Speed limit on Penistone Road

I agree with the comments on this thread, but in hindsite, you can put up all the cameras and bumps etc you like, there will still always be one idiot out there that will totally ignore all safety measures put in place, and end up ruining someones life either by taking it or badly injuring them.just cast your minds back to the recent events around the Southey and Shirecliffe areas. I think what would be a good idea, is to re-train these speed merchants etc, on the rules of safe driving, by showing them videos or CCTV footage of actual RTA's, and make sure it really hits home about the dangers of reckless driving. In all my 17 years of driving, I think in the last 5 years or so, the number of people taking risks has increased dramatically, and it's these risk takers that are constantly putting law abiding motorists lives in danger on an everyday basis.

To do 30mph on Penistone Rd, i'm almost down to 2nd gear.

There is almost no risk of anyone wandering out into the road, especially from B & Q down to Shalesmoor.

It just feels wrong wrong wrong!

What car do you drive, I can do 30 in 1st or 5th, so on penistone road I chose 5th.

I found this one one of the other forums I use and though you might find interesting:

This is not another post for moaning about speeding but is something I wanted to get off my chest having constantly to defend speed limits.

I have just had another sleepless night following a shift at work where I have had to attend the scene of an accident.

A woman was driving 10pm last night to get her baby some milk and was travelling quite within the speed limit on a 40 mph road with no houses around and what most of you would say was a safe road to go faster on.

The 2 lads that had been drinking that night probably thought this road just as safe too. Until one of them staggered into the road just as another car wascoming the other direction.

The poor woman could see one of these lads due to the other vehicles headlights until this lad was frimly embedded in her windscreen.

If we are lucky this lad MAY pull through but it is not looking good.

I am writing this as because if the woman had of been speeding on this road with only her an one other motorist on it the she would have decapitated the lad at the scene and there would be no hope.

I do not neccesarily agree with all speed cameras etc but I would rather have them than have to keep taking the lonely walk down someones drive to inform them that there son/daughter whoever is in hospital and they better get there as quick as possible as it is not looking good.

I chose my profession but I did not choose to deal with things that are so very avoidable in the first instance.

I am only writing this to get it off my chest and yes I feel like **** for it! But please look back at previous threads about people whinging about having 3 points and a fine then put yourself in this lads family's position. Would you like one of my colleagues knocking on your door in the middle of the night to tell you a loved one had been killed by a speeding motorist?

Luckily this want the case last night the driver was not to blame and could do nothing about it. Doubt she will drive again tho'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

it sure is 30 - and it is very difficult to keep down to that speed.

there is a speed camera at grenoside which is set very low. I've seen it flash at 32mph, so beware.

The pedal under your right foot operates in two directions, if you ease the pressure on it when travelling on a horizontal or uphill road your vehicle will slow down. Also there are other gears to use besides the top gear.

The camera at Grenoside is located in a 30mph limit so why do you consider it to be set "low"? There is a "bad" junction and also a pedestrian crossing a short distance away from it, personally I'd rather see a lower limit at that point.

I drive for a living and have a clean licence, so it is possible to adhere to the laws of the road, a Sat Nav with a safety camera database also helps a tiny bit.

If people were to drive carefully and not selfishly as if they were in a life or death rush, it would not matter what speed people went. Everyone would get where they needed to be in good time.

The money collected from speeding fines does not go to the police. If it did then it would surely increase the incentive to 'trap' more speeders and the money could go toward more police officers/funding to fight crime/ better facilities etc. Although they would probably just end up with more PCSO's.

Forgive me for my anal approach to this subject; I studied Politics & Law at Uni & have come up with the following theory on the legitimacy of speeding:

Thomas Locke developed the theory - I just bastardised it! :suspect:

The theory is:

Parliament develops laws, but we don't vote on each individual law.

and therefore for a law to be legitimate the majority of the population have to adhere to it....its called 'tacit consent'

However if the majority of the population break that law.....Speeding over 70mph on a motorway for instance, or doing 40mph on Penistone Road.....that law becomes unjust...and should have no place in society!!

Think mass boycott of poll tax, and the subsequent rebranding of it as a council tax. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless from a purely social point of view - we should all try and do 30 in 30 zones and 40 in 40 zones...the motoway, however....:P

Incidently, when I used to drive down Pensitone Road from town in the early hours (ie no other traffic) I used to cruise down the dual carriageway at 30mph and every light was on green, if i deviated from this I caught a red light. however this was 4 or 5 years ago...and I no longer cruise for prostitutes (THIS IS A JOKE!!):D

The camera at Grenoside is located in a 30mph limit so why do you consider it to be set "low"? There is a "bad" junction and also a pedestrian crossing a short distance away from it, personally I'd rather see a lower limit at that point.

probably because acpo guidelines indicate that no prosecution should take place unless the speed limit is exceeded by at least 10%+2mph, thus <35mph in a 30 zone, not 32.

In general speedo's are not calibrated accurately in production cars and a 10% error is not uncommon. Hence the guideline.

Gazza - very emotive nonesense. Decapitated, why, did she have a large axe mounted on the bonnet?

She could(n't I presume) see the lad in the road due to the other cars headlights. Was there something wrong with her own headlights, or her eyes? Even then, areas where pedestrians are commonly found have street lighting, see if you can find a 40 limit road inside the city limits that doesn't have street lighting on it.

Nice touch though, with the baby in the story, makes it all the more believable, not.

PS - I know you were just quoting it, but I'm afraid it sounds completely false to me.

Anyone losing their life needlessly is always very sad and can only hope and prey it never happens to me, you or anyone I know.

I can also imagine when you're faced with the realities of speed and car traffic accidents it can be very traumatic.

I see idiots on the road everyday, using their mobiles, leaving indicators on, not indicating, reading maps, eating and so-forth. All of these either confuse or distract attention away from the roads.

Speed can be the difference between life and death but i can only assume in a lot of cases speed is not the cause of the actual accident?

Drivers are being unfairly punished for speed because as i see it, its cost effective and easy to catch 'speeders'

The difference between someone being hit at 30mph or 33mph is also the difference between someone being fined and penalised, possibly banned for what in the most part is a law abiding citizen

Ah! The innocence of the young. Politicians and councillors are scared of raising speed limits. If just one person dies on a stretch of road where a speed limit was raised, the locals will blame the decision makers for changing a speed limit. Before supertram (way before your time) Penistone road was mainly single carriageway and shared the volume of Hillsborough-City traffic with Langsett Road/Middlewood Road.

Building the supertram along Langsett meant widening the alternative route. The road was made, now shall we raise speed limits accordingly.. Oooo-errr, sorry, I can't put that to the council.

As for other dual carriageways with 30 mph limits, try Handsworth road, Meadowhead (200m), The ring road at manor top from the top end of Prince of wales road to Ridgeway road.

Compare this to speed limits on Bawtry road, Rotherham (50mph, houses on both sides) and Chesterfield (70 mph from Dronfield to 50mph near Tesco along ring road) and you can see that Sheffield does have lower speed limits per road than most towns. However, in Theory, 30 mph is a mile every 2 minutes and few roads are more than a few miles long, so surely we just have to tolerate it and drive safely.

Correct - but as there's only one (fixed) speed camera on the road (on your left coming into town not long before the left turn towards Rutland Road) and it's dual carriageway, most people ignore the speed limit.

I think I went through this camera inadvertently this morning doing just over 30mph I think about 32-33mph is their any percentage allowance on the actual speed that this camera activates and has anybody been caught out by this particular camera.