Speed limit on Penistone Road

actually, if you do 28 mph, you can hit green lights all way down penistone road, it does work

Not from shalesmoor it doesn't.

I've often wondered why the speed limit on this road is 30mph. After all it's a dual carriageway and there's not exactly a lot of pedestrian activity, except perhaps at the crossing where Hillsborough Leisure Centre is.

Does anyone know how speed limits are decided? It certainly seems like a 40mph road - I wonder why it isn't...?

The speed limit was never changed, after the road was converted to a dual carriageway (must be 15 years ago) :loopy:

Penistone road is 30mph, it becomes a 40 when you hit Halifax Road.. then back down to 30 when you reach Penistone Road South :loopy: :loopy:

SCOOT/UTC control the lights so that if you exceed 30mph, eventually you will reach a red. I usually cruise along near 30mph to find out you catch up with the racers at the lights anyway.

thats crap or its not working correctly, I've tried it and it doesn't work! ;)

The lights are so bdly timed on there they are even a pain in the arse when on a pushbike!

actually, if you do 28 mph, you can hit green lights all way down penistone road, it does work

You got lucky!

ok ok, but it works from hilsborough

Going towards town... I can say that it definitely doesn't if you join from langsett road coming on next to the lexus garage, you have to speed to get through the turning to neepsend, or alternatively crawl at about 12mph. And driving at 30 to the next set doesn't work (opposite the petrol station) either.

I have always thought how ridiculous this is - Penistone Road is clearly designed for a 40 limit and the 30 limit is largely safely ignored, yet Herries Road passes through a busy housing estate... :loopy:

We've had this discussion about this on here many times. As well as Herries Road, why, for instance, is Halifax Road going into Grenoside 30 mph, yet Yew Lane going past Yewlands School is 40 mph and similarly Ecclesfield Road/Chapeltown Road going past Ecclesfield School is also 40 mph. All three roads are very similar in layout and their distance from housing yet Halifax Road is the only one that doesn't go past a school!!

I found this one one of the other forums I use and though you might find interesting:

This is not another post for moaning about speeding but is something I wanted to get off my chest having constantly to defend speed limits.

I have just had another sleepless night following a shift at work where I have had to attend the scene of an accident.

A woman was driving 10pm last night to get her baby some milk and was travelling quite within the speed limit on a 40 mph road with no houses around and what most of you would say was a safe road to go faster on.

The 2 lads that had been drinking that night probably thought this road just as safe too. Until one of them staggered into the road just as another car wascoming the other direction.

The poor woman could see one of these lads due to the other vehicles headlights until this lad was frimly embedded in her windscreen.

If we are lucky this lad MAY pull through but it is not looking good.

I am writing this as because if the woman had of been speeding on this road with only her an one other motorist on it the she would have decapitated the lad at the scene and there would be no hope.

I do not neccesarily agree with all speed cameras etc but I would rather have them than have to keep taking the lonely walk down someones drive to inform them that there son/daughter whoever is in hospital and they better get there as quick as possible as it is not looking good.

I chose my profession but I did not choose to deal with things that are so very avoidable in the first instance.

I am only writing this to get it off my chest and yes I feel like **** for it! But please look back at previous threads about people whinging about having 3 points and a fine then put yourself in this lads family's position. Would you like one of my colleagues knocking on your door in the middle of the night to tell you a loved one had been killed by a speeding motorist?

Luckily this want the case last night the driver was not to blame and could do nothing about it. Doubt she will drive again tho'

I found this one one of the other forums I use and though you might find interesting:

This is not another post for moaning about speeding but is something I wanted to get off my chest having constantly to defend speed limits.

I have just had another sleepless night following a shift at work where I have had to attend the scene of an accident.

A woman was driving 10pm last night to get her baby some milk and was travelling quite within the speed limit on a 40 mph road with no houses around and what most of you would say was a safe road to go faster on.

The 2 lads that had been drinking that night probably thought this road just as safe too. Until one of them staggered into the road just as another car wascoming the other direction.

The poor woman could see one of these lads due to the other vehicles headlights until this lad was frimly embedded in her windscreen.

If we are lucky this lad MAY pull through but it is not looking good.

I am writing this as because if the woman had of been speeding on this road with only her an one other motorist on it the she would have decapitated the lad at the scene and there would be no hope.

I do not neccesarily agree with all speed cameras etc but I would rather have them than have to keep taking the lonely walk down someones drive to inform them that there son/daughter whoever is in hospital and they better get there as quick as possible as it is not looking good.

I chose my profession but I did not choose to deal with things that are so very avoidable in the first instance.

I am only writing this to get it off my chest and yes I feel like **** for it! But please look back at previous threads about people whinging about having 3 points and a fine then put yourself in this lads family's position. Would you like one of my colleagues knocking on your door in the middle of the night to tell you a loved one had been killed by a speeding motorist?

Luckily this want the case last night the driver was not to blame and could do nothing about it. Doubt she will drive again tho'

I feel for the women greatly, and the lads parents and feel anger towards the irresponsable behaviour of the lads to go staggering around drunk in the road. I was the driver that killed the man outside the Belle Vue pub (just behind Cricket Inn tram stop) a few years ago. Driving at 32mph, collision at about 20-25mph the guy still died and suffered many visible broken bones. Speeding or not if a drunken man walks out in front of somone in that manner they are going to be seriously injured or die. Whether I was speeding or not it was proven he would have suffered the same fate.

Ironically I work in traffic management and carry out the design and implementation of road safety schemes all the time (especially traffic calming schemes), I think some speed limits sould be reviewed and some camera sites are laughable, especially some roads they enforce in light of others *cough Sheffield Parkway *cough* (last thread mentioned)

Having a speed limit over and under what seems natural can cause problems, driving under causes tailgating, and makes some drivers angry which has proven to cause accidents down the road or on overtaking manouvers, over is obvious greater injuries to pedestrains and drivers in accidents ect.

You need balace, but to choose a speed limit, off peak surveys of traffic should be undertaken and go for something around the 85th percentile of the results (more detailed reports and safety audits would be undetaken), Penistone road, in my experince I'd go for 40mph with all the activity been signalised anyway.

If you have a beef with any speed limit contact traffic regulations in Howden house, they should be able to give you some insight when the legal order was made and to what clause and section of the traffic management act, you could speak to your MP or a councillor and try and get a traffic survey done but you would probably hit a brick wall.

Please can anyone tell me what the speed limit is on Penistone road from Shalesmoor to Hillsbrough football ground. Some say it's 30mph some say 40mph. There are speed camera's along that stretch so we always stick to 30mph (having just paid £60 and got 3 points on a trip to Bridlington), but many drivers overtake us. :confused:

It is definately 30 mph between Shalesmoor and Wadsley Bridge, 40 mph between Wadsley Bridge and near to Deerlands Avenue, and 30 mph through Grenoside.

THE SPEED CAMERA JUST BEFORE RUTLAND ROAD (city bound) IS ACTIVE. I saw it flash a car in front of me on Saturday, doing about 35 mph.

The speed camera at Grenoside has been vandalized, unless it has been recently repaired. Someone attacked it with petrol soaked tyres.

The speed limits on the whole A61 Shalesmoor to Grenoside section are another Council nonsense. Some need increasing (Hillfoot Bridge area) and some need decreasing (Wadsley Bridge WMC area). We also need traffic lights at the Law Brothers/Leppings Lane roundabout.

More time is also needed for traffic to turn right into B&Q and Morrisons, as they back up and block Penistone Road city bound.

You cannot make any suggestions to the arrogant sods at traffic control in Sheffield, ''they know best.''