Speed limit on Penistone Road

I'd imagine the reason for it being a 30 is the large number of junctions on it and the poor visibility as it curved just before the Lexus garage when heading out of town.

according to popular rumour the reason it's a 30 is that the council 'forgot' in their love of cars to zone it as anything else when it was built.

I don't understand the sentiment "I hope they all got caught by the camera". The road is inappropriately speed limited, unless the drivers were being dangerous why wish them ill?

What a nonsense, Penistone road has a 30 mph speed limit but how can this be right when Herris road going up passed Five Arches pub disecting infants and junior schools and a heavily populated housing area be 40 mph !!!!!

How about the dual carriage way in Dore/Totley? 30 or 40? The amount of cars overtaking me this morning would make me think it's 40...

It should be 40 but it's 30 and it makes them loads of cash so it's not been changed.

No Offence to Neeeeeek, but it's not the speed limit that makes them loads of cash, it's the fools who don't abide by them.

I've seen a few threads now with people whining that they cannot stick to certain speed limits, i'd say that if you cannot control your car so your driving within the law, you shouldn't be on the road.

I'm not saying I agree with the limit that is in force, I'm saying that you either abide by it, or get done...but stop trying to blame it on something/someone else.

Your the only person that decides wether they make money out of you or not.

No one is saying they can't stick to it, what they are saying is that it's unreasonably low.

I wouldn't risk it, theres frequently a mobile speed camera van parked up on the other side.

Is this the mobile one at the (Total??) filling station entrance, on the carriageway LEAVING the City?

Or are you referring to another?

Pedantic I know..theres at least one person complaining on here they find it hard sticking to under 30mph.

Is there something wrong mechanically with their car?

How do they go on in a 20 zone?

I've already said I don't agree with it being a 30mph zone, but the fact remains that it is, so either live with it, or do something pro-active to get it changed.

Anyone getting fined by speed cameras are choosing to do so themselves when they go over the limit, thats not very hard to grasp is it?

What a nonsense, Penistone road has a 30 mph speed limit but how can this be right when Herris road going up passed Five Arches pub disecting infants and junior schools and a heavily populated housing area be 40 mph !!!!!

I have always thought how ridiculous this is - Penistone Road is clearly designed for a 40 limit and the 30 limit is largely safely ignored, yet Herries Road passes through a busy housing estate... :loopy:

30. I do tend to go quicker when safe to do so. regulary see coppers pulling people up on there tho so keep an eye on your mirrors ;)

Penistone Road is 30mph for a reason!

Car drivers thinking 30mph actual limit = okay to do 40mph, if it was 40mph, they'd think its ok to do 50mph+

Makes Supertram journey time from Middlewood look more attractive!

Reduces rear ending at traffic lights (lots of them along there!)

Increases safety for vunerable users (pedestrians, cyclists)

SCOOT/UTC control the lights so that if you exceed 30mph, eventually you will reach a red. I usually cruise along near 30mph to find out you catch up with the racers at the lights anyway.

Actually the lights are timed so that (from shalesmoor) you need to do 20, 30, 40, 70, 30 in order to not hit a red light.

For some reason the light after the mecca bingo turn (for people coming out of neepsend), gives about 5 seconds of green after the previous light (for turning up to the bingo) goes green. The only way to get through is if you have timed it right to still be moving and you boot it between them.

Most of your reasons are nonsense anyway. Limits are never set with the expectation that drivers will exceed them. If they are, then they've probably been set incorrectly. A good rule of thumb is that the limit should be at the 85th percentile of the speed distribution of drivers on that road.

To make the supertram look good is exactly the kind of argument I can imagine the council using, and if they did I hope they all suffer haemeroids.

Might have a point about rear ending, although i'm not sure.

Pedestrians on the road? Surely cycle paths would do more to help cyclists.