Speed limit on Penistone Road

Please can anyone tell me what the speed limit is on Penistone road from Shalesmoor to Hillsbrough football ground. Some say it's 30mph some say 40mph. There are speed camera's along that stretch so we always stick to 30mph (having just paid £60 and got 3 points on a trip to Bridlington),but many drivers overtake us. :confused:

30 to Kilner Way, then 40 up Halifax Road.

30 to Kilner Way, then 40 up Halifax Road.

Correct - but as there's only one (fixed) speed camera on the road (on your left coming into town not long before the left turn towards Rutland Road) and it's dual carriageway, most people ignore the speed limit.

I wouldn't risk it, theres frequently a mobile speed camera van parked up on the other side.

Its 30mph on any road if there is street lighting, unless it says otherwise.

Penistone Rd is 30mph, the ones overtaking you don't know the highway code :)

yup, its 30 mph - there are very small speed limit signs somewhere around morrsisons/bingo place...with speed camera warnings too.

I was trundling along there tonight doing bang on 30 - i was overtaken by loads of drivers obviously doing more....hope a camera got 'em!!

I've often wondered why the speed limit on this road is 30mph. After all it's a dual carriageway and there's not exactly a lot of pedestrian activity, except perhaps at the crossing where Hillsborough Leisure Centre is.

Does anyone know how speed limits are decided? It certainly seems like a 40mph road - I wonder why it isn't...?

I seem to recall that it was 40 before and was dropped to 30.

Unless there were bumps that were caused by speed I am taking a guess that it is a police cash machine. I am not defending speeding but there are places that it seems a little low at 30.

It should be 40 but it's 30 and it makes them loads of cash so it's not been changed.

I wouldn't risk it, theres frequently a mobile speed camera van parked up on the other side.

Absolutely right about the mobile speed camera van :suspect:

there is a complete other thread on the forum about this somewhere...

it sure is 30 - and it is very difficult to keep down to that speed.

there is a speed camera at grenoside which is set very low. I've seen it flash at 32mph, so beware.

This must be one of the only dual carriageways with a 30 limit, and considering the amount of money squandered on street furniture, how about some clear 30 limit signs,

and before we have a tirade of, you should know the highway code, "I do" and I also know a money making racket when I see one.