Worst Road in Sheffield

I personally think the road surfaces in sheffield are a disgrace , Deerlands avenue is nothing but pot holes from 1 end to the other .. i`ve had to replace the wheel bearings on my car twice in the last 18 months and had to have the steering re-tracked ( at £30 a time ) 3 times largely due to damage / wear caused by the condition of our roads

Some of the roads in particular are absolutely outrageous

---------- Post added 28-04-2014 at 16:41 ----------

The state of the roads in this city have been an issue for over 40 years. I was born in the 60's and remember it being a regular topic of complaint and ridicule from the early 70's. We had family visit from a host of different towns throughout the UK and they always commented on the state of the roads. I have recently temporarily moved back to the city after 22 years away. I have lived in Wiltshire, Berkshire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire and Co Durham and can honestly say the roads in Sheffield are incredibly bad, much worse than anywhere else in the UK. Is it not about time all the habbitual Labour voters gave one of the other parties a chance to support this once great city. I could rant on for ages about this, but it appears that any project the council gets involved in falls apart. I spent time in Nottingham, Reading, Swindon and Darlington all of which have undergone regeneration and are all now wonderful places to live, with great city centres. Come on Sheffield council pull your finger out, it's starting to become embarrasing now!!!

Couldn't agree more. Every single person that visits Sheffield says they are the most abysmal roads they've driven on inside a city, and in some cases full-stop. The most frustrating thing of all is that they just seem to be getting continually worse!

---------- Post added 28-04-2014 at 16:44 ----------

I second that - the end that joins on to Abbeydale Road ? There are so many potholes that it's impossible to avoid them.

There's actually an area near the kerb that has been fenced off because the road surface is so badly damaged and deep it's dangerous for any vehicle to drive over/into it !

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 17:35 ----------

Don't be put off by some of the characters on SF - there will always be someone who is spoiling for an arguement !

Welcome to SF anyway !

Yeh I have to agree, Archer Road is particularly shocking. For such a widely used road the fact that nothing has yet been done to improve the situation is outrageous.

And cheers, I imagined as much. Don't really see the point in people commenting on topics they're clearly not remotely interested in!

The roads aren't great, but in a number of areas in Sheffield over the last few years, the road surfaces are now significantly better than they were - pot (hole) luck when your area gets done though I suppose...

Where have you plucked that figure from?

Guy that works for me knows the 'Top man' in charge of the resurfacing project.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 09:36 ----------

The cost according to the City Council website, is £2 billion

and will be completed by 2017. Plus a further 25 years of Maintenance.

Perhaps you could post a link to confirm your £26 billion cost

Only what I've been told-see post above.Saying that,he has been known to exaggerate.I've told him a million times about it.

Have a drive on deerlands ave and you will be hard pressed to find one as bad,the middle bit is one patch on top of two others,a real 20mph road.

Westland road S20 gets my vote, over its short length it averages about 3 potholes per metre. even the patches have patches on patches etc. :loopy:

Have a drive on deerlands ave and you will be hard pressed to find one as bad,the middle bit is one patch on top of two others,a real 20mph road.

I was gonna say dearlands, many a time I have rode down there on a bike and my fillings have nearly come out !!! :mad:

It is, only matched by the Hartley Brook section where they had to re-surface some parts a couple of years ago, plus you have to swerve around the speed cushions and the "Give Way" gates.

It's barely started and has resurfaced many roads already.

You read the bit about the initial work taking 5 years right?

My road (a crescent) was done in December (Sheffield 11) & the main roads in my area were all ready to be done-signs up telling of road closure dates-when the heavy rain came.They haven't been back since .

Just a little update,

Drove down Wynyard Road after work yesterday and they've covered the pot holes!!

I wonder if anyone saw my post.... hmmmm :-)

I was going to say Loxley Road is pretty bad, but for some odd reason it has been completely resurfaced from top to bottom. Quite odd given that it's not exactly a main route to anywhere. SCC planners strike again I suppose.

There are too many to list. I cycle to and from work 7+ miles each way.

I am sure that one day the sate of the roads will cause me serious harm at some stage. I have already come off my bike due to the potholes.

I Ride from the top of Standon road, which in my opinion is one of the worst roads. I like the fact that The full run from Ecclesfield rd, Tyler street all the way through to Carlisle St have been re surfaced due to the Toure De France. Its so annoying that because this event is coming to our region they decide to sort the main drags out but leave the surrounding roads in unsafe complete disrepair.

I was going to say Loxley Road is pretty bad, but for some odd reason it has been completely resurfaced from top to bottom. Quite odd given that it's not exactly a main route to anywhere. SCC planners strike again I suppose.

And even when they are surfaced there are still reasons to grumble.......

Perhaps the "odd reason" is because it was considered to be one of the worst roads in Sheffield?