Transatlantic flight/move with a newborn

Looking for a bit of advice.

We're moving to Canada (Toronto) on September 7th and we'll be flying with a newborn and I was looking for any hints or tips to make the process as easy for both us and fellow passengers.

The baby is due on 4th July but she could be early or late (as they are unpredictable at best). We're flying from Manchester and it's a direct flight which takes approx. 10 hours not including the 2/3 hours time before boarding after check in or the time to go through customs and get our visa's. There will be me, my husband, our 16yr and 6 yr old daughters as well as the baby.

My intention is to breastfeed so I am unlikely to be giving bubs a dummy at the age she'll be so giving her that prior to take off/landing isn't an option.

To be honest, I found travelling with a newborn much easier than travelling with my older ones!

They will sleep for quite a bit of it.

Maybe take a few small soft fabric books, and a few small rattles just to entertain them. Walk around the plane a little bit if they are starting to get restless.

Like you said - BF on take off and landing, and obviously when little one is hungry too.

The only problem I found when travelling with my son at that age, was nappy changing!! Its easier to put them on your knee to change them, rather than trying to change them in the tiny wobbly airplane toilet!

Good Luck!

I'm starting to dread it tbh.

We've booked a row of 4 seats for us all to sit together and I plan on taking my sling on board to just carry her about in. The 6 year old has been signed up for the kids club thing with the airline and they give them a full rucksack of goodies and play stuff and that gives us priority boarding as well as luggage collection.

Oh wow! Good luck with your move Anne, how exciting!

Some airlines do in flight baby cots. Never used one but have friends who have and said they are good. Might be worth getting in touch with the airline and asking x

My advice is just not to worry too much about other passengers, babies cry, thats what they do. As long as you are doing what you can to soothe them, what more is there? You can hardly leave the baby in England while you go.

Crying might be inconvenient to other passengers but it ain't gonna kill them.

One tip is try and keep your 6 yr old awake in the car on the way to the airport and at the airport so when she gets on the plane she's exhausted and will drop off. Personally when I see toddlers/young children screaming in the departure lounge I think 'brilliant, they're tired!'. Its when they're running round all bright eyed and bushy tailed that I worry!