Could anyone tell me some history of longley /Southey green

Was it all farmland before the council estate was built or what was there

Nobody seems to know

Heard it was a quarry many years ago.

Yes there was a lot of farms.

http://picturesheffield.com/index.php Search for Southey Green Or Longley and there's some old pictures of the area's.

The quarry was at Wadsley Bridge, where Kilner Way is now :)

It doesn't matter how many times i did my garden over, I'm always digging rocks, stones & bricks up. What a nightmare it is.

It doesn't matter how many times i did my garden over, I'm always digging rocks, stones & bricks up. What a nightmare it is.

Yes Lee75 got to agree with you there. mine was the same when I lived on Pollard.

Yes Lee75 got to agree with you there. mine was the same when I lived on Pollard.

That's where i live now :) Was digging for 9 hours last Monday then again the following day for 5 hours. And all for the kids....again!! I keep saying to myself that i would never do it again but then found myself to be doing it and and in the process doing my back in :mad: KIDS!!!!!!! :D

There were a lot of small quarries on the longley and Southey areas a hundred or so years ago in fact many Race horses were buried in these quarries when the Stubbin was a famous horse Stud.

I remember there being a farm at Longley. I worked at the Northern General in the mid to late 70's. Walking up the Herries Road drive I would be often be greeted by cows leaning over the wall on the left side of the drive.

bet the bricks were Wadsley Bridge Brick Co.....