Retired my mobile: Am I alone?

Plusnet. It was you that was taken advantage of...

I wouldn't be without mine.

I hardly ever use it as a telephone though.

Well, they are not really phones any more are they? they are tiny personal computers with communications functions.

I find it a very useful tool to have, my android phone. Still on pay as you go though, contracts are a rip off. Since it has wifi, the net access is fine.

All the contacts I have had, have not been, its when you tie in with expensive phones, I prefer to buy the phone out right(Nexus 5) and stay on a cheap tariff. At the moment I get a few hundred mins, unlimited txt and unlimited internet (750mb tether) for <£5/m(when I signed upto it I also got given a phone which I sold for £180). Its not 4g but I often get over 20Mb/s download so is fine.

Plusnet. It was you that was taken advantage of...

In what respect?

Not ditched the mobile,but the house phone has long gone.

Could you live without your internet connection as well? I dont think its a big deal to have no phone, but it is to have no means other than say a landline (you might not have one) and the post (too expensive) with which to communicate.

As pointed out above smartphones are really mini computers these days.

No, I basically live on the internet. I can go without for a week, if I have to, longer than that and I get severe withdrawal symptoms. (Usually compensated for by Scottish rain and lots of alcohol)

Only 2 people have got my mobile number so I have a quiet phone.I have a Samsung (£7-00) in the house,on fire brigade advice, and a Nokia(99p)in the car for emergencies.No troubles.It is beyond me why people pay these extortianate prices for them.

Depends what you call extortionate! Mine costs about a pound a day, for which I get a camera, web browser, ereader, sat nav, games device, music player - oh and a phone. Well worth it in my opinion.

Some people spend 3 times that on Starbucks coffee everyday.

Depends what you call extortionate! Mine costs about a pound a day, for which I get a camera, web browser, ereader, sat nav, games device, music player - oh and a phone. Well worth it in my opinion.

Some people spend 3 times that on Starbucks coffee everyday.

A £1 a day ,lets see, £365 a year boy that is a lot for me.

I must admit I don't understand the whole obsession with smart phones and being connected to the net 24/7 and everywhere tbh. To me the whole internet experience is something I look forward to when I get home from work.

My first mobile was in 1993/4 and was a nokia 100 on cellnet lol. It was an old analogue phone and didn't even have the capability to store names if I remember rightly, only up to 10 numbers, certainly couldn't text on it lol.

Was fun for about 15 minutes at first talking to people stood on a cliff top somewhere but after that the novelty wore off, was also 50p peak and 20p off peak with minute then half minute billing if I remember correctly so not cheap.

I've not had a contract phone for about 12 years and only use a payg, mainly for emergency purposes and similarly so people can contact me in an emergency. I stick a tenner on it every 3 to 4 months, but that's mainly replying to people who are bothering me :hihi:

A £1 a day ,lets see, £365 a year boy that is a lot for me.

Yes but its no longer just a phone - in fact that's what I use it for least - it's the other functions that are more useful to me.

Last week on a short break I was able to use the camera to take snaps, send them to family, then video call them overlooking the sea.

(Of course all this would be possible on a cheaper handset too - I was until recently only paying half that but decided to upgrade).

I can understand people getting a phone with all the functions on it to use instead of carrying a tablet or laptop with them,for work and holidays, but those who have it glued to their ear all day???

Beats me what people use to do before the mobile became available to everyone ?

When mobile phones first came out, the only people who had them were sales reps, executive's and people of importance......they were big chunky things of some 7 inches in length and quite weighty.........now everyone has one ( or two ).

You can't go anywhere without seeing someone on one - although against the law to use them whilst driving, a lot of people do !

Many times whilst I have been out driving, people have crossed the road infront of my car and other people's whilst on their mobile oblivious to the traffic.

You go out shopping in town or to the supermarket, or your in the street and there's people on the mobile taking no notice of other's walking towards them - its you that has to move out of the way to prevent them from bumping into you......ridiculous !

I have two cheap phones both on different networks and only use them for emergency :

incase of breakdown in the car or accident within the home - I can't use either to phone out and I can't recieve calls because I'm losing my hearing so I only use them for texting but they do me just fine without having to spend hundreds - in my humble opinion, those that have these expensive phones costing hundreds of pounds, have them for show, they have to be better than anyone else.