Are we a Christian country?

I suggest some trendier music.;)

As shown on the video in this link.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/singing.priest.youtube.video.father.kelly.hallelujah.rendition.couples.wedding/36701.htm

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 14:07 ----------

This is an interesting article.

Lessons for Christians, Politicians and Secular Humanists.http://www.christiantoday.com/article/tony.benn.lessons.for.christians.politicians.and.secular.humanists/36231.htm

Nice 1 janie. Yes, I think that may be their answer.

God is claimed to be omnipotent so can do anything, if it wanted to experience life as a human it could easily transform its self into a fetus in the womb of Mary, and it could set the parameters for regaining its prior knowledge of everything, it would probably set its self to reset as God after death. So Jesus could indeed have been a Jew and worshiped God without actually knowing he was God.:)

You are a very strange person who could argue over how many beans make five.

That means unfortunately that there is no point whatsoever engaging in a rational discussion with you.

Where any normal reasonable person will accept a logical point put to them you will find a way, no matter how ridiculous it may be, to continue the argument using nonsense as your main weapon.

At first, on another thread, I found it somewhat amusing but it's become tiresome.

I wish you well, and if you have a partner may I extend my deepest heartfelt sympathy to them in their situation.

I personally cant believe that people believe in any religion. I can pick to bits the sheer madness of any religion, more holes than a well used pin cushion. There may be some superior power but one that stops you eating this or that and makes you pray to him with never any response is laughable. Depends on where you were born, tells you you cannot kill and then on a whim kills thousands is a joke beyond belief. This god is all powerful but muslims in recent years appear to do his work, cant he do it himself, is he that useless. He cant even write an unambiguous book, total incompetence. Wake up religion is a joke, lie after lie, unsubstantiated drivel. Dont get me wrong there me be something but gods have come and gone over the centuries. Go to church, mosque its a free country i have different views its that simple. Maybe father christmas does exist or maybe he is like these gods. In answer to the question no it isnt

You are a very strange person who could argue over how many beans make five.

That means unfortunately that there is no point whatsoever engaging in a rational discussion with you.

Where any normal reasonable person will accept a logical point put to them you will find a way, no matter how ridiculous it may be, to continue the argument using nonsense as your main weapon.

At first, on another thread, I found it somewhat amusing but it's become tiresome.

I wish you well, and if you have a partner may I extend my deepest heartfelt sympathy to them in their situation.

All that just to say you can't think of a way to counter my post, if God exists and is omnipotent then it can do what ever it likes, including becoming human and living life as a human.

All that just to say you can't think of a way to counter my post, if God exists and is omnipotent then it can do what ever it likes, including becoming human and living life as a human.

I think that I have explained to you ad nauseam on a previous post that I neither believe nor disbelieve in the existence or non existence of a God(s).

Therefore it is of no interest to me to attempt to 'counter' your nonsensical comment.

My post to which you responded was attempting to make a logical point and contained the statement ' for the sake of debate let's assume that Jesus was the Messiah.'

As I pointed out, you do not deal in logic nor reason and therefore are simply a waste of time as far as holding a discussion with is concerned.

A part of the American Constitution states that "there shall be no established religion"

That was not only wise and more so surprisingly (considering the time it was written) a very democratic and progressive outlook on the subject.

Religion has no place in politics, government and those who make the laws. Government has no place in the church either

In the UK of course we have an 'Unwritten Constitution', which is somewhat strange when you consider that a Constitution is there to lay out the laws under which the country is to be governed.

In those countries where a written document exists and can be referenced to by every citizen the government is constrained by it's rulings and has to refer all amendments to a national vote.

We don't have that problem, so basically the government can do what it wishes.

Marvelous system, for those in power.

Technically we are a Christian country with an established church, in practice we are more or less a pluralist country.

A part of the American Constitution states that "there shall be no established religion"

That was not only wise and more so surprisingly (considering the time it was written) a very democratic and progressive outlook on the subject.

Oh how I wish we had a constitution like the US.

I think you do them a bit of a disservice though to label it a surprise, since lots of the earliest pilgrims to the US were fleeing religious persecution. Secularism was something that a great many enlightenment figures believed in very strongly, Jefferson and his contemporaries knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote the first amendment.

However good it may be, it didn't stop you adopting 'in god we trust' as your official motto and making Children say 'one nation under god' as a result of anti-communist paranoia.

Oh how I wish we had a constitution like the US.

I think you do them a bit of a disservice though to label it a surprise, since lots of the earliest pilgrims to the US were fleeing religious persecution. Secularism was something that a great many enlightenment figures believed in very strongly, Jefferson and his contemporaries knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote the first amendment.

However good it may be, it didn't stop you adopting 'in god we trust' as your official motto and making Children say 'one nation under god' as a result of anti-communist paranoia.

I agree. It should never have happened.

"I pledge allegiance to the United States, one nation united under the Constitution" would have been perfectly in order

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 18:49 ----------

In the UK of course we have an 'Unwritten Constitution', which is somewhat strange when you consider that a Constitution is there to lay out the laws under which the country is to be governed.

In those countries where a written document exists and can be referenced to by every citizen the government is constrained by it's rulings and has to refer all amendments to a national vote.

We don't have that problem, so basically the government can do what it wishes.

Marvelous system, for those in power.

Technically we are a Christian country with an established church, in practice we are more or less a pluralist country.

A written constitution didnt always work when it came to the question of freedom, equality and justice for all.

It took 5 years of civil war, many deaths and a lot of destruction before that was settled and 100 more years before the civil rights bill finally came into being

Edited by Harleyman

Haven't ploughed through the whole thread, but I can reveal that the answer is 'No, we are not a Christian country', since the majority of people in this country do the exact opposite of what Jesus Christ wanted people to do.

For example, Jesus called upon us to observe the Ten Commandments - love they neighbour as thyself, etc. Most people are selfish and don't love immigrants.

Honour thy father and thy mother - most old people are not honoured by their children, quite the opposite. Otherwise we wouldn't have such a crisis in the care of the elderly.

He told the parable of The Good Samaritan as an example of how we should behave towards the disadvantaged in society. OK, we've got the NHS and the welfare system to act on our behalf in such cases but how many people begrudge that help to foreigners?

Jesus urged us to 'turn the other cheek' and to reject the idea of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. A majority of the population would like to see hanging brought back.

No, definitely not a Christian society. Cameron's a liar.

I agree. It should never have happened.

"I pledge allegiance to the United States, one nation united under the Constitution" would have been perfectly in order

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 18:49 ----------

A written constitution didnt always work when it came to the question of freedom, equality and justice for all.

It took 5 years of civil war, many deaths and a lot of destruction before that was settled and 100 more years before the civil rights bill finally came into being

Agreed it didn't. However, having a written document does constrain politicians slightly. And it provides a guideline as to what direction the country is supposed to be heading in.

You know my views on the political class, and as far as I'm concerned as many restrictions as possible should be imposed upon them.

Take a look at the state of the world today and the number of disputes going on where peoples lives are endangered.

Politics is at the heart of all of it.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 20:48 ----------

Haven't ploughed through the whole thread, but I can reveal that the answer is 'No, we are not a Christian country', since the majority of people in this country do the exact opposite of what Jesus Christ wanted people to do.

For example, Jesus called upon us to observe the Ten Commandments - love they neighbour as thyself, etc. Most people are selfish and don't love immigrants.

Honour thy father and thy mother - most old people are not honoured by their children, quite the opposite. Otherwise we wouldn't have such a crisis in the care of the elderly.

He told the parable of The Good Samaritan as an example of how we should behave towards the disadvantaged in society. OK, we've got the NHS and the welfare system to act on our behalf in such cases but how many people begrudge that help to foreigners?

Jesus urged us to 'turn the other cheek' and to reject the idea of 'an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'. A majority of the population would like to see hanging brought back.

No, definitely not a Christian society. Cameron's a liar.

How many people have died over the centuries because of Christianity?

As with all religions, it's not the religion, it's the use men make of it in order to achieve their purpose.

Christianity does not have a particularly gentle and caring, sharing history.

Virtually every Christian country has, at some time or another, set out to invade and steal other countries possessions and quite often they have invoked the Lord their God in order to justify it.

How many people have died over the centuries because of Christianity?

Virtually every Christian country has, at some time or another, set out to invade and steal other countries possessions and quite often they have invoked the Lord their God in order to justify it.

How many people have died or are dying at present under the rule of atheism? in its short history?

There may well be many more Christian countries at some future time invading and stealing other countries possessions, that doesn't mean all its Christians will condone it.

Ordinary citizens of countries don't really have a choice when their leaders choose to go to war, and in WW1 many people were anti-war and pacifists, both Christians and non-Christians, and some of those who refused to fight for their country were accused of being traitors and were imprisoned.

War and greed has rarely been the fault of most people.