Tripe shops or stalls selling tripe in Sheffield

I seem to remember my father going into Castle Market in the 1950s and buying pieces of tripe which were on small white plate? There may have been more than one tripe stall. Does anyone remember them? or what tripe was like?

One of the stalls belonged to Myers, tripe dressers, who had a factory on Soap Box Lane at Woodhouse.

You can still buy dressed tripe from Wateralls butchers in the new market hall.

There used to be a shop on London rd which is where the chip shop is now " A salt and batterd " just above Hill st that sold Tripe and such like back in the 60s.

My Mum used boil it in milk wth sliced onions , I hated it like that but enjoyed it cold with salt, pepper & vinegar on it .

When I was younger my mates and me used to help prepare the tripe at colly's we would go to the abattoir to collect the sheep stomachs then they would be boiled after this we would take them to the castle market I could never eat it myself but it was fun watching Howard and his dad doing the work in the same way it had been done for generations.

In the 50's and 60's, You could get real tripe along with cow heal and leg meat from a place on Canada st , Pitsmoor. Regular tripe was available every night in pub conversations, sometimes on the bar too.

Edited by beezerboy

In the 50's and 60's, You could get real tripe along with cow heal and leg meat from a place on Canada st , Pitsmoor...
That would be Colley's - here is a list of tripe shops from the 1954 Kelly's Directory.
... Regular tripe was available every night in pub conversations, sometimes on the bar too.
It would seem there was a lot more tripe around in the 1930s - the list in the 1931 Kelly's Directory has 107 entries..:)

the tripe shop on London rd had a marble slab where they had a display of honeycomb tripe, cowheel,udder and bag.and chitterlings. I used to go with my dad who would have a saucer of tripe with pepper and vinegar as he was waiting for his pudding basin to be filled to take home.I would carry it home on Lansdown rd and grew to like it. They also did a pie and peas supper to take home on Thursdays. Whenever I was back in Sheffield to see my family I would go to the stall in the castle market.The last time was four years ago and I am sad to say the quality had gone way down.

Mrs Muriel Colley, who worked for many years on Colley's stall in Castle Market, died (Aged 91) peacefully on March 26th, 2015.

Edited by geocol
funeral details removed

There were 2 tripe shops on Attercliffe common also sold chicklin and bag and udder

There is a stall that sells tripe in the new market at the bottom of the moor plain or honeycomb .

I love it raw with pickled onions, plenty of salt pepper and vinegar and a couple of buttered oven bottom bread cakes washed down with a big pint pot of tea .......;)

Edited by grinder

There washable stall in Barnsley market (still is I think) where we would buy tripe, elder and pig bag for my dad Once a week. I remember him almost soaking the tripe in vinegar.