Help choosing new 4g android phone

Well, yeah, £299 is the official Google price, you might find it cheaper elsewhere, maybe you could afford the 32gb if you can find a good price on that too.

It should be a bit faster than your zopo, nice 5" 1080p screen, 4G & plain official Google (or AOSP) Android on it. Just there's limited storage space & no SD card slot, so best if you can get 'unlimited' data or a high allowance so you can stream media. Not sure when '3' are rolling out 4G in Sheffield, this year sometime I think, they seem to have the fastest 3G. You might be better off on a 30 day rolling contract if you're using 4G data, or you're looking at paying stupid amounts per gb on EE 4G payg.

AOSP isn't the same as Google android - for that you would need to flash a new rom (without the Google spyware embedded)

3 have already started the 4g roll out - most of town centre has it already, others places it's a bit bit and miss. That said I get 20meg + on 3G when I'm at work anyway.

AOSP isn't the same as Google android - for that you would need to flash a new rom (without the Google spyware embedded)

3 have already started the 4g roll out - most of town centre has it already, others places it's a bit bit and miss. That said I get 20meg + on 3G when I'm at work anyway.

AOSP is a version of Android released by Google, the open source & spyware free part. You would have to compile it from source yourself, or use a custom rom based on it. It isn't what comes loaded on the phone, but recent Nexus devices are officially supported by AOSP & AOSP is what all the good custom roms like CyanogenMod are originally based on. So you get full support from day one in every custom rom worth installing, no waiting for it be ported to your device because Google do it.

Flashing a new rom to a Nexus is very simple too, they all come with the ability to be unlocked or locked with a single fastboot command. There are full 'fix any mess-up' factory rom images on Google's site too. They're not locked to any network either.

There are other closed source additions on the default Nexus rom that add the spying features, gmail, play store, maps, etc, but they don't add as much rubbish as other manufacturers. At least you don't get the Samsung/HTC/PRC/Whatever spyware as well, hopefully it's just Google & GCHQ/NSA.

3 does seem good, I've just got a Nexus 4, so there's no 4G on that anyway, but 3G is usually fast enough on it, a lot faster than when I was on GiffGaff.

You can get the 16GB for around £260-£270 from Amazon & Ebay sellers, it'll cost about the same for an import too with the VAT added on.

Edited by anywebsite

I would have said Sony SP up until almost 2 weeks ago, since a 400+mb update the phone is a lot slower and sometimes freezes.

A modern smart phone with no card slot? what a piece of garbage. I expected better from a leading brand like google.

I would have said Sony SP up until almost 2 weeks ago, since a 400+mb update the phone is a lot slower and sometimes freezes.

i was looking at the sony sp but i have read a lot of bad review on it. i have orded the nexus 5 from google 32gb the only bad review on the nexus it the battery other than that its seams like a good phone :)

A modern smart phone with no card slot? what a piece of garbage. I expected better from a leading brand like google.

Who needs an SD card when you have cloud storage?

Me!

Who needs cloud storage when you have an SD card? :cool:

Some with no data connection.....

New OnePlus is out an its Looks Superb an the Price is not Bad out on 29th April,64gb or 16gb

Cloud storage for all your music and stuff? errrr no thanks.

Cloud storage for all your music and stuff? errrr no thanks.

SD Cards aren't big enough. Google spies on what I listen to, but I don't really care because I've got about 200gb of music on there.