Fly fishing on the Don

Me and the lad had a go fly fishing on the upper Don the other afternoon- I managed to catch a nice grayling but no trout. We're not regular fly anglers but it at least gets us back fishing on the river. Lots of small white flies were on the river so I used the smallest dry white fly I had and got a take almost straight away. Lots of fish taking flies off the surface for just a short period of time, then it went quiet with just a couple of risers.

Anyone else been on there with the flies?

Me and the lad had a go fly fishing on the upper Don the other afternoon- I managed to catch a nice grayling but no trout. We're not regular fly anglers but it at least gets us back fishing on the river. Lots of small white flies were on the river so I used the smallest dry white fly I had and got a take almost straight away. Lots of fish taking flies off the surface for just a short period of time, then it went quiet with just a couple of risers.

Anyone else been on there with the flies?

please inform me when you next intend to fish on the din in the near future and i will meet you theyre. pplease be sure to bring your most expensive tickle ;-)

I see a few fly anglers regularly on the stretch of the Don near where I live and although they do fish drys they have more success with nymphs fished upstream.

please inform me when you next intend to fish on the din in the near future and i will meet you theyre. pplease be sure to bring your most expensive tickle ;-)

My most expensive tickle is reserved for my missus and in private.

Is the cryptic comment implying confiscation because certain types of fishing are not allowed at certain times of the year?

If so please could you clarify what they are and when etc.. I'd be interested to know, not that I plan going fishing anytime soon ...

It's fly or worm only Jon for Trout on rivers until June. It's just lobworms being his usual idiotic self.

Is the cryptic comment implying confiscation because certain types of fishing are not allowed at certain times of the year?

If so please could you clarify what they are and when etc.. I'd be interested to know, not that I plan going fishing anytime soon ...

you may flyfish on the din in clised season jon26,but you may struggleto find a desent peg on the bonk that will allow you to cast unhindered.

my best spots are near tickle 4 fish and screwfix(both on penistine rd) but you willneed chest waders to wade out so you can get a nice cast

well worth the effart though,some nice brownies,chub,greyling,and even a barble can be tempted if you match the hatch :-)

Can I fish the Don now if I spin for Trout?

yes you can. i have a very light spinning rod and some trout spinners which i use a few times during the coarse close season on the don.

you can also fish by conventional ways if you use worm.

i have just taken up fishing .and last week i was going to fish the don i was told i could not out of season. i was going to use worm ?

You can't fish the Don out of season the conventional way. worm or not