Update on Samson the one eyed Staffy

I'm slightly confused reading this thread....have I got it right that Samson used to belong to Sam71 but is now with someone else, and Sam71 now has a puppy instead???

I'm confused....why was Samson given up????

Yes Samson did belong to me. He was an accomplished escape artist. One day he didn't come home and I found out the dog warden had him down at the pound. Unfortunately because of my disability benefit being stopped I couldn't afford to go a get him so some of the wonderfull members of this pet forum kindly donated enough to get him released. I met up with a lovely woman down there on the sunday and he was home. Unfortunately he wouldn't and didn't stop escaping :( so the last time he was picked up by the warden I couldn't get him home. Yet again some of the brilliant sheffield pet forummers worked behind the scenes and secured him a place at a rescue. From there he was adopted by a lovely family who have provided the updates and photos via Hula Rescue.

Thank you so much for your vote of confidence Chazndave :roll:

Bronson is not allowed and would want to go anywhere on his own (not even the garden) He is very much a mummys boy and has kept me sane this last few months. We lost our heinz57 Fijit in November and I would be lost without a dog in our family so thankfully we had already taken in Bronson.

Yes Samson did belong to me. He was an accomplished escape artist. One day he didn't come home and I found out the dog warden had him down at the pound. Unfortunately because of my disability benefit being stopped I couldn't afford to go a get him so some of the wonderfull members of this pet forum kindly donated enough to get him released. I met up with a lovely woman down there on the sunday and he was home. Unfortunately he wouldn't and didn't stop escaping :( so the last time he was picked up by the warden I couldn't get him home. Yet again some of the brilliant sheffield pet forummers worked behind the scenes and secured him a place at a rescue. From there he was adopted by a lovely family who have provided the updates and photos via Hula Rescue.

Thank you so much for your vote of confidence Chazndave :roll:

Bronson is not allowed and would want to go anywhere on his own (not even the garden) He is very much a mummys boy and has kept me sane this last few months. We lost our heinz57 Fijit in November and I would be lost without a dog in our family so thankfully we had already taken in Bronson.

You can't blame me or anyone for saying it. If it was me i would have stopped samson escaping just like one of my dogs loves to, but he can't. I make it secure so he cant.

I think this was all gone over on the original thread and probably doesn't need dragging up again. As far as I can see, lessons were learned and a happy ending was found.

I took Samson down to Hula from the pound after an organisation "Safe and Sound", who concentrate on high risk pound dogs that either need veterinary treatment or are older / harder to rehome, took him on and found the rescue space at Hula for him

At first Hula thought that Samson might end up being there the rest of his life so had him as a kind of mascot dog, rather than being kept in kennels but he won hearts of his new owners and as we can see is very happy.

I posted the update as I thought Sam and other people who helped out with Samson would like to know how he is getting along.

I think this was all gone over on the original thread and probably doesn't need dragging up again. As far as I can see, lessons were learned and a happy ending was found.

I took Samson down to Hula from the pound after an organisation "Safe and Sound", who concentrate on high risk pound dogs that either need veterinary treatment or are older / harder to rehome, took him on and found the rescue space at Hula for him

At first Hula thought that Samson might end up being there the rest of his life so had him as a kind of mascot dog, rather than being kept in kennels but he won hearts of his new owners and as we can see is very happy.

I posted the update as I thought Sam and other people who helped out with Samson would like to know how he is getting along.

Definitely nice to hear samson had a happy ending but for it is alarming and always will be when things like that happen and people get more animals.

Definitely nice to hear samson had a happy ending but for it is alarming and always will be when things like that happen and people get more animals.

So you're saying I should not have anymore pets because due to the idiotic benefits system stopping my money I couldn't get Samson home the last time???

Maybe the same rule should apply to people that drink and drive??? Take away their car and don't let them have another one?? How about if someone's car is stolen?? How very careless of them to lose it hey?? Shouldn't be allowed another one if they can't look after it.

OK

And thank you once again Squiggs for what you and others did for Samson. xx

So you're saying I should not have anymore pets because due to the idiotic benefits system stopping my money I couldn't get Samson home the last time???

Maybe the same rule should apply to people that drink and drive??? Take away their car and don't let them have another one?? How about if someone's car is stolen?? How very careless of them to lose it hey?? Shouldn't be allowed another one if they can't look after it.

OK

And thank you once again Squiggs for what you and others did for Samson. xx

Having something stolen is completely different!!!

And I didn't CHOOSE to lose Samson. Why should I be banned from having future pets because of this????

And I didn't CHOOSE to lose Samson. Why should I be banned from having future pets because of this????

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled to one. It wasn't the first time he escaped. People normally learn and stop it happening. Especially when others have financially helped. Benefits can't always be relied upon. Ive seen it all in my years of volunteering in rescue. I have empathy but also sometimes have to be real with people. It worries me when animals are involved that people cant afford more than once to get them out when they have 'escaped' especially when relying on benefits. You should appreciate these concerns. I wont post again or we will end up going round in circles and im too experienced and too long in the tooth to argue about the welfare of animals.

I will admit I did have a few tears in my eyes but mostly from being happy that he is ok and has found another lovely home to live in.

He is a lovely dog and very loyal. Not a bad bone in his body. He loved nothing better than waiting outside our old house for one of the neighbours to come home from work, park up his van then Samson would trot over to see if there was any snap left over and a good long fuss. I used to see people cross the road to avoid him and he would look so sad that they hadn't fussed him :( The tales I could tell you about him are endless and never a day went passed that he didn't make us laugh with his antics. :hihi:

Wait, so am I right in thinking that you willing let him roam off lead outside your house? Where were you when he was trotting up to neighbours and people were crossing the road to avoid him?

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled to one. It wasn't the first time he escaped. People normally learn and stop it happening. Especially when others have financially helped. Benefits can't always be relied upon. Ive seen it all in my years of volunteering in rescue. I have empathy but also sometimes have to be real with people. It worries me when animals are involved that people cant afford more than once to get them out when they have 'escaped' especially when relying on benefits. You should appreciate these concerns. I wont post again or we will end up going round in circles and im too experienced and too long in the tooth to argue about the welfare of animals.

I'm sorry but I have to agree. I'm pretty sure that benefits aren't provided to pay to get your dog out of the pound because you (willingly it seems if above post is anything to go by) let it roam. I've no doubt that this has all been said previously, but it's also understandable that people feel the need to make their opinion known when its brought up again in a new post and you feel the need to comment on it telling us about your new puppy! As per Chazndave said above, you should appreciate that not everyone is going to agree with you and your actions.

Thought I would post one last update on Samson. This is the email from HulaRescue recieved yesterday morning, I was expecting it, just not yet...................

Dear Samantha,

I hope you are well,

I am so very sorry to email you with the extremely sad news that Samson was put to sleep yesterday. His family have emailed us to let us know and also asked that we passed the news over to you as they know you still cared for him. He had been struggling with his legs more and more recently and sadly yesterday his legs gave up on him altogether and he was not able to stand. It was the kindest thing to do in this situation and we know he was given the best care that he could receive. They wanted us and you to know he was happy right up until the end.

Between yourself and his HULA adopters we know he was given a fantastic life and was very much loved for the entire of his 15 years.

I am so very sorry for your loss and please know we are thinking of you at this difficult time,

Just one last thank you to all who help Samson when I couldn't.

Run free at rainbow bridge with Splodge and Fijit. Miss you softlad :(

Aww, bless him. That's so sad. Poor old Samson. How lovely of them to ask that you be informed though Sam. He seemed like such a lovely dog and at least he was always happy and loved. RIP Samson xxx