Closed season canal fishing

Can you fish Sheffield canal on closed season ? And if so is there any point not fished in a long time , just wondered how it is fishing ?

Yes you can.

Don't know how it's doing, always one or two down there though which can't be a bad sign.

Cheers mate ! Yeah going down tomorrow just stalking with a small feeder.

did you get down?

I'm planning a wet visit on Sunday!

Cheers,

Yeah fist day caught a few Roach nothing major . Second day just fished over the other side of some reeds with a waggler and maggot caught around 25-30 roach and perch in 3 hours was good make sure you take bronze maggot seem too like them ! Beware though I think the perch have hatched some of them I caught were no more then 2 inches long ! So if you want a better fish get a bigger bait

Edited by at94

thanks for speedy response!

I think i'm going with maggot/casters/bread/corn so will try em all + combos. Thanks for the heads up with the small perch. Don't usually like live baitin but i bet a 2oz perch would attract a 3lb perch in the right swim!

Yeah me neither I feel sorry for the little buggers! If you don't want too use another fish shrimp are a good perch bait ! Good luck

Edited by at94

I had quite a slow day but very enjoyable mostly because something turned up which is fairly rare in my canal experience.. A little tinca tinca. Red maggot + caster. Looking forward to next weekend!

DSC_0020_zpse0ef39b7.jpg

That's a nice fish where about on the canal were you fishing ?

Fished the canal many hundreds of times and never caught a tench !

Strangest catches i've see were a 3lb eel and a small leather carp.

at94: the main stretch.. just above tinsley flight. Lovely little tench in very good condition, it's mouth was near perfect, suggesting he's usually wary of hook & line!

Mega: I'm still pretty stoked about this, I too have spent a few hundred mornings on the sheffield/rotherham canal and this is the first I've caught. I do believe there's still a few of these beauties knocking around, I personally think the reason we don't see them that often is not one reason at all but many! To mention a few, I think they keep to certain areas, most likely the parts that are difficult to or seldom fished. I think they sift the silty bottom for micro-foods like freshwater shrimp, larvae and small snails - meaning they don't actually want maggot/corn/pellet too often. The last reason and I'd love to hear more opinions, is that they are pretty hook and line shy to the point the only time you are likely to get one on is when the equipment will struggle to deal with it.... how many times have you seen the pole elastic disappear in to the water only to suddenly release when the size 20 pulls or the 1lb6oz line snaps?

Anyway, i aim to get another this weekend lol

---------- Post added 05-05-2014 at 21:13 ----------

Was a fail btw!

Did catch a 3lb pike on single red maggot though. Amazing how a size 20 and 1.5lb hooklength can hold up! Another angler was also complaining about a similar issue with double red maggot, so the jacks were hungry!