Lasting power of attorney

What sort of money are we talking about for powers of attorney?

Thank you all for your comments, all relevant, and helped me to decide to take the ""normal "" route. I can, and do fill in forms constantly ,but errors

are seemingly not acceptable with this particular one. And having it sent

back, would be an insult to my intelligence.

So,Jeffery Shaw, expect a knock on your door, very shortly.

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:13 ----------

A simple PoA for a specific event is not an issue.

For an enduring one, especially where there may already be issues of capacity you really really should take solid professional advice.

I think the Enduring Power one has been kicked into touch, probably

because it was too easy to do ,for us mere mortals

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:22 ----------

So true. This is a process that is so easy to mess up. And you only find out you messed up when it comes to the crunch and you find out the LPA is invalid. If you find out at that point it's too late.

Do it right.

I PROMISE to do it right, doing it once is a challenge, twice is "not on" .

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:32 ----------

Unless you are confident in what you read then id do what the ohers have sauid and seek advice.

The person to whom the POA applies must have mental competence and they need independent advice. Its a coi if the person preparing the poa is also the person in whom it vests. If you have something in front of you that looks like a jumbo jet then you are doing it wrong. Age UK has some decent guides on the subject. If you arent 100% comfy with the matter then I would always suggest you get independent advice to ensure the document does what you wish and remains valid.

Thanks Tigger but your Age UK just involves more written jargon to plough through. What I need is someone who has BEEN there , DONE that . and

got the signed document .and now has a smile on their face, and lower

blood pressure!!!!!

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 08:28 ----------

What sort of money are we talking about for powers of attorney?

Seemingly it's £250 and £ 110 to register it

I think the Enduring Power one has been kicked into touch, probably because it was too easy to do

No. EPAs were withdrawn as they did not cater adequately for non-property matters (e.g. health) but did leave too much scope for fraud by one family member against the person by whom that member was appointed. LPAs involve the Court of Protection from the start- hence more supervision.

do you actually deal with Lasting power of attorney Mr Shaw ?

You seem to deal with property

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 09:43 ----------

Have to ask,, those of you have done it (used a solicitor ) to do the Lasting

power. Can you recommend a solicitor, friendly one preferably.

Thank you all for your comments, all relevant, and helped me to decide to take the ""normal "" route. I can, and do fill in forms constantly ,but errors

are seemingly not acceptable with this particular one. And having it sent

back, would be an insult to my intelligence.

So,Jeffery Shaw, expect a knock on your door, very shortly.

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:13 ----------

I think the Enduring Power one has been kicked into touch, probably

because it was too easy to do ,for us mere mortals

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:22 ----------

I PROMISE to do it right, doing it once is a challenge, twice is "not on" .

---------- Post added 21-04-2014 at 09:32 ----------

Thanks Tigger but your Age UK just involves more written jargon to plough through. What I need is someone who has BEEN there , DONE that . and

got the signed document .and now has a smile on their face, and lower

blood pressure!!!!!

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 08:28 ----------

Seemingly it's £250 and £ 110 to register it

Been quoted solicitors fees of £900 plus vat and court fees of £110 per lasting power of attorney to pay on the application for registration. Making it well over £1000. WHEW!!

Been quoted solicitors fees of £900 plus vat and court fees of £110 per lasting power of attorney to pay on the application for registration. Making it well over £1000.

Yes, it's costly- because the procedure involves a lot of extra advice work required by law.

And no, I don't deal with creating LPAs.

Update on doing the Lasting Power of Attorney without a solicitors help, or bill

I took the challenge, went through the documents, slowly,asked the POA office for help on a couple of sticky bits ,sent it off, and it was accepted.

Update on doing the Lasting Power of Attorney without a solicitors help, or bill

I took the challenge, went through the documents, slowly,asked the POA office for help on a couple of sticky bits ,sent it off, and it was accepted.

Well done. If you ever need to PM me for any help or advice regarding the whole issue of care of the elderly, especially dementia/memory/Alzheimer's, then please do not hesitate to do so.

My father had this condition for 18 years. He refused to put the house into a family trust but did go to the solicitor for the Enduring Power of Attorney before the legislation changed. You of course know that it's now called a Lasting Power of Attorney and is divided into two, one for care and one for finance.

Just for information, although a solicitor prepared my fathers, I registered it in the court of protection when the day came that Dad really could not manage any more, this was in 2006 and he managed to remain at home with an extensive care package until last year - he spent the last year of his life in residential care and I have to say, he was happy and very well looked after.

My heart goes out to you because it is a nightmare dealing with financial matters whilst dealing with the emotional side of watching (in my case my father) a beloved relative's personality seeping away like water through a sieve. As I say, I've got loads of experience so you not hesitate to contact me if you think I can help.

PATHFINDER: a very useful post re the experience of one who's "been there, done that!"

BBC Radio 4 carried a 'Moneybox' item re just how unco-operative Banks can sometimes be.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moneybox

You are absolutely right ! When I registered ours in the Court of Protection and had received the document with the Court seal upon it, I went along to my father's bank HSBC and then on to Bradford and Bingley because he had money in both. They were both utterly hopeless. I got stroppy and said "well I can see that you are given absolutely no training in this area whatsoever - my father does NOT need to sign a 3rd party mandate because the Court of Protection has issued this document and it appears you need someone to tell you your job". As is my wont, I wrote stinking letters of complaint to both organisations with the caveat "You'd better get your act together because the elder population is increasing and trust me, there are going to be literally thousands of your customers in that position so you really do need to get up to speed on it".

In the short term, I managed to resolve the matter and finally got it all sorted out, as you say, with very little help from the bank. Funnily enough, now my father has died and I am trying to arrange an appointment to sort out an Executors account I am similarly experiencing what I may only describe as an "unskilled " response from HSBC. I am polishing my armour as we speak to go into battle and woe betide the fool that crosses me !

As if having a father who had 18 years of dementia wasn't enough to deal with - don't get me started !!!!:rant::rant:

However, if my experience can assist others then I'm only too happy to point people in the right direction.

Many thanks Pathfinder, the process wa a tad daunting at first. Dealing with Social

Services is just another mountain to climb. It seems that my life has no life now, as I

seem to spend it all sorting problems for a person who at most ,seems to think that is what I am there for, and at least, there isn't a least, not for me anyway I look at it It's a never ending ASBO

You would be amazed how much you can actually achieve with just a joint bank account.