Have you ever had depression?

Ive been suffering from depression for about 6 months now due to my marriage break up and the crap he put me through. I was always the outgoing one who was the life and soul of everything but not anymore im ashamed to say i self harm its not clever to do it but it takes away the pain i am feeling i am also on anti depressants but they make me feel so poorly i just wish there was light at the end of the tunnel. I would love to get back to my old self and get to how i was but at the min i cant see a way out if this xxx

I can't say ive ever had depression as such, but i do have my ups and downs.

As anyone ever heard of tony robbins?

He's the No one motivational speaker in america, and before you say it, I never used to take poeple like that serious....who wants go to bed with ear phones on having some muppet telling you your fab. But I have to say that this man as changed my mind.

I invested in his "get the edge" CD pack, and ive never regreted it. The things that he made me aware of, not only about myself but also human behaviour in general were mind blowing.

He made me aware that when you start to tell yourself that this is it...that nothing's going to get any better...then your right!.

As I say ive never had depression as such and I know its a complex and sensative subject so pls dont think im lecturing. I just highly recomend that you google him, may be even get the CD's. Would be great to hear from you again if you do.

I'm currently suffering from depression and have been medicated for about 4 months now, the dosage being increased because it was hardly touching me. I had been suicidal before and flip in and out of it currently, but my previous GP advised me the only problems to expect from Prozac were euphoria. I was in hospital after a naffed-up attempt at doing myself in and changed doctors sooner than you could say 'is it safe to send you home now?'. I suffer from very severe self-harm, and have been this way since I was 14, though didn't realise the patterns over the years. I'm about to lose my job due to an occupational health report, from my job where I haven't been there long enough to have rights, on the basis that my depression has been triggered by huge life changes last summer- moving home away from my partner, who then went down south, and proceeded to say it was 'quite crap that I wanted to die'.... and going to the police over a historic abuse case, which is going to take a long time to even get to court, implying my mood will fluctuate until post-case counselling kicks in.

Had I not had housemates who were incredibly supportive and literally called the mental health organisations when I physically couldn't do anything for myself, I would probably not be around now. I find when I'm in incredibly black days it helps to either avoid any kind of alcohol, and sleep for however long it takes for me to be too drained to do anything harmful to myself. Or acknowledge and proceed to, but force myself to sleep immediately after to avoid worsening the situation or letting my thoughts spiral to critical levels.

I'm on every waiting list going for psychological treatment and luckily have a very supportive doctor, but some days it's impossible to keep going at times.

Edited by babybel
bad grammar

I forget something, when you think that you may have depression, stop worry too much and seek professional help. Depression can be cure if treated early.

so in that case, whats next weeks lottery numbers????????????????

Depression can be very hard to deal with - I have had depression for quite a few years now and am currently having a really bad time with it - feel like I just want to shut the curtains and curl up in a ball and sleep!!! I wake up in the morning and cannot wait for night to come to go back to bed!!

I am now on a different anti-depressant to what I usually take (I went to the doctors straight away as soon as I felt crap), and am still waiting for them to work.

Its a horrible time and my sympathy is with anyone who is also feeling this way - but rest assured there are people out there that know what you are feeling and it wont last forever.

If anybody feels like they would like to chat about how they are feeling please feel free to PM me - I have been through this kind of thing time and time again.

There should be more help available to people who are suffering - groups or one-2-one visits for those who dont want to leave the house.

I was told I suffered from depression about 12 years ago...although I think it was circumstantial (ie based on my situation at the time). I was prescribed some tablets, but they sent me a bit squiffy and I kept bumping in to things and having distorted vision. I went to see a doctor back in Sheffield whilst I was staying with mum, and we had a fantastic chat. He basically pointed out to me why the doctor had prescribed me these tablets, but that, in my case, it was my situation that needed to be changed. Basically, I changed everything. Quit my job, left my life and home in London, and embarked upon a whole new life. Came off the tablets straight away and have been right as rain ever since.

Circumstance DOES have a lot to do with it, so unless you have the courage to change was is making you suffer, then you will continue to feel as you do.

I am not saying that this is the answer to all depression!!!

I am now at northlands for my depression since my last post. I am improving and thinking more about myself and ways to deal with things. A lot of friends I did not talk to I now do we all made up. Im glad because they have helped me out so much.

I still see the neuro psychologist regarding depression because of my disibility as well as for the post traumatic stress.

They think the stress was triggered out of control through a lot of factors mainly by old friends and trouble I had with my neighbours.

They say people with it having coping mechanisms, one being my cleaning obsession and busying myself a lot.

But that didn't work and things got really bad for me, I changed and rather then friends and family noticing it was not like me and helping they just walked away. But those who where true friends where there all the way holding my hand.

I have made lots of new friends as well as getting back on track with the old. And am making myself feel haircut, spray tans ,facials ect.

I feel a total eye sore being in my wheelchair it makes me feel a tramp. But im getting there with it, and enjoying things as my disibility is a progressive muscle waisting disease and im never gonna get better.

I am on anti depresents, i do have suicidal thoughts and have been stupid a few times. But im trying to keep on track with it all.

Northlands are good and helping where ever they can ,and art therapy is a great way to chill and work out any problems you have.

I hope anyone suffering will go seek help as soon as. I wish I had of , I was mortified when my life seem to be "normal" again.

It was like I had not been here for last few mnth and had come back to my whole world being destroyed. Like someone else had been running my life for me while I was away.

Please don't leave things as it can get bad.

I've had it, fairly recently. In fact, I'm still supposed to be on medication but I stopped taking it (I feel like I've got a bit of an addict streak in me so thought taking tablets for 6 months was probably not the best idea).

Very bizarre period of my life. Went from being normal, bright and chatty to being moody, boring, argumentative and a bit of a recluse. Never actually felt "depressed" in the usual sense of the word, but I was aware something wasn't quite right - easily confused, no concentration etc...

It took me an age to go and speak to my GP about it. I'd been trying to hide it from colleagues, family, friends etc even though I knew there was something clearly wrong. I got put on a very mild anti-depressant and signed off work for a fortnight. I think the diagnoisis that there was something causing my moods was the turning point for me. Prior to that, it'd been making me worry so I think it lifted a considerable weight off my shoulders and allowed me to concentrate on getting everything back to normal.

As others have said, if you think you could be depressed/stressed/whatever then go and have a chat with your GP. It really made things better for me...

Hi there

I hope this doesn't seem like an intrusion, as I have not suffered with depression myself, but I wanted to make an input to this discussion. Several of my friends have suffered with depression, and have managed to come through it via different combinations of medication, talking therapy, and taking positive actions to improve their situations.

With regards to the last point, I have been looking into the positive effects that volunteering can have on people's mental health, including for people with depression. This is part of my work at Voluntary Action Sheffield. I came across a really interesting report, which said that almost all people that were surveyed (who had suffered from mental ill health) found that volunteering helped in some way. Here's a bit of a quote:

"The survey gathered accounts of voluntary work from more than a hundred volunteers with direct experience of mental ill health. Although a sample of this size is not representative of a whole population, it yielded a set of findings that provide useful signposts for future development.

Respondents said that their mental health difficulties had had a variety of negative effects on their lives, including unemployment, a lack of confidence and motivation, an inability to concentrate, difficulties in trusting people, an inability to make or sustain friendships, and feelings of isolation, frustration and anxiety.

Respondents also agreed that volunteering had done much to improve their mental health. Specifically, it had given structure, direction and meaning to their life, widened their social networks, improved their vocational and interpersonal skills and helped them to gain access to employment, education and training."

For anyone interested, more details and the full report can be seen at: http://www.ivr.org.uk/researchbulletins/bulletins/volunteering-for-mental-health

If you're then interested in taking up volunteering (it's much more flexible than paid work and can be tailored around your interests), take a look at http://www.do-it.org to see what opportunities in Sheffield you might be interested in. Also, you could talk over some options with the volunteers at the Volunteer Centre (in a building called The Circle on Rockingham Lane, just off Costa Coffee on Division St, City centre) - they're there 10am - 4pm Monday-Wednesday.

I hope that's of some use,

Claire

Has anyone taken Fluoxetine? If so, I'd be interested to hear your feedback on its success, side effects etc :)

Has anyone taken Fluoxetine? If so, I'd be interested to hear your feedback on its success, side effects etc :)

It did not agree with me I felt helpless all the time. So my doc changed it, but just because it did not work for me doesnt mean it wont for you!

It did not agree with me I felt helpless all the time. So my doc changed it, but just because it did not work for me doesnt mean it wont for you!

Is it usually handed out to people who have not had a 'history' of depression before and have therefore not taken any previous antidepressants?