Gastroscopy anyone had one?

I think i will defo opt for the sedation but does the sedation make you feel sick? i have no rush to be home and i will be stopping with my mum and dad that night so thats fine. Its not being done till tea time which i think is even worst because i have to wait all day worrying about it.

Dont worry about it, its not that bad if you get the sedation. The sedation that tends to get used is Midazolam, sickness is not a side effect. Give it a Google and find out

It surely must be just coincidence that this thread is next to the one entitled "First swallow, any sightings yet". :hihi::hihi:

Dont worry about it, its not that bad if you get the sedation. The sedation that tends to get used is Midazolam, sickness is not a side effect. Give it a Google and find out

My opinion was "Call that a sedative??", but I think it made it easier.

My opinion was "Call that a sedative??", but I think it made it easier.

Well that`s what I had, and I can`t remember anything about it

I had one last year including 3 biopsies, no sedative and I was suprised how easy it was, I could drive myself home and not even a sore throat after.

I hope not coz most things make me feel sick erugh

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 11:47 ----------

I had one last year including 3 biopsies, no sedative and I was suprised how easy it was, I could drive myself home and not even a sore throat after.

I have to have biosys and a urease test and dye spray or something as well. I hope the sedative works i have a big fear of anything going down there tube wise after i was tube fed a couple of years ago and i can say that was the most awful thing ever i was pinned down for that as well within an hour i was sick because they put the food in that fast that the tube ended up coming out needles to say i didnt have another one in think thats why im most scared

I go for without sedative.it is ever so slightly uncomfortable but you are able to leave straight after.

Having assisted with the administration of many gastroscopies and having had one myself, I would recommend sedation every time. It is not "ever so slightly uncomfortable" for most people. It is not pleasant for most, and although you can leave straight away if you don`t have any sedation, it`s worth the extra time spent in the unit recovering. The sedation gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don`t remember much about it. So I would wholeheartedly recommend sedation every time.

So how on earth can you comment on the uncomfortableness factor if you only had the one and had the sedative administered.

I have had cameras in every place there is to have cameras and I have always been treated with the upmost of courtesy and professionalism.

Never once have I been made to feel uncomfortable.

Had a couple done - no real drama and never needed or wanted a sedative, but had 3 five hour biopsies done in the past so wasn't really fussed about it.

It's easy to say that I know but really it is not a big deal at all, although I appreciate it probably does seem it if you have never had one done before. If you want a sedative, there is no shame in asking for one, just make sure you have someone drive you there so they can drive you back afterwards as you wont be able to drive, or make your own way home. When I had my biopsies done, which admittedly takes longer my biggest concern was boredom - for the first one the nurse brought me a newspaper to read and I brought in an audiobook and headphones for the latter ones.

If you are nervous or worried or whatever though TELL the medical staff. They are not mindreaders - the ones I had were businesslike and professional but that's maybe not what you want - if you tell them you are feeling a little overwhelmed by it just let them know and they will accomodate you I'm sure.

I had my first one in 1980 when I had a duodenal ulcer. It was old technology then and it was very uncomfortable, felt like swallowing a hose pipe. I had another one a few years ago just to check everything was OK and the new fibre optic cameras are so much smaller. It was not at all unpleasant and I was able to look at the monitor screen to see what my insides looked like. No discomfort whatsoever, you'll be fine!

This is one test I always flat out vowed I would never ever agree to, having observed some a number of years ago and finding it quite distressing. At the end of last year I was very poorly and pretty much told I had no other option if I wanted treatment.

I had always considered the sedative was a tool for the doctor rather than the patient - makes the patients compliant, makes them forget afterwards and makes the doctors job a lot easier. However I can hand on heart say that the entire process changed my mind completely, to the point where I'd willingly do it again if I did need to. I can still remember parts of it now, but most of all remember being wheeled out able to recall the whole thing and didn't feel in the slightest bit distressed by it.

I had a reasonable amount of sedation, plus the anaesthetic throat spray but I was out of the hospital within 20 minutes of it finishing. Nausea isn't a side effect of midazolam, and regardless, you can't vomit because you're nil by mouth for at least 6 hours beforehand. The only minor problems I had were some sort of allergic reaction to the latex oxygen sponge they put up my nose (very itchy, lots of sneezing) and a very sore chest where they'd taken biopsies.

There is no one more nervous than me, I had sleepless nights for a month before I went for mine and even thought of not going with all the horror stories I had been told. I didn't have sedation and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about, I just did what they asked me to do and didn't have a problem all over in a few minuets and straight home the staff were great. Good luck and dont worry, all over in no time.